Facial Luminance Difference and Impact on Attraction

Introduction/Abstract:
It has been suggested that the consistent luminance difference between the darker
regions of the eyes and mouth and the lighter regions that surround them forms a pattern unique
to faces. The hypothesis that the size of the luminance difference between the eyes and mouth and the rest of the face affects the attractiveness of male and female faces differently. Female faces were
found to be more attractive when this luminance difference was increased than when it was decreased, and the opposite was found for male faces. The luminance difference between the eyes and mouth and the rest of the face is naturally greater in women than men. In this case increasing or decreasing the luminance
difference will make a face more feminine or masculine, respectively, and hence, more or less
attractive depending on the sex of the face.

Cosmetic use and effects on relative luminance difference:
Cosmetic use that changes the luminance
or coloration of the face is far less common among men than women, historically as
well as in the present. One of the more consistent uses of cosmetics to make the female face more attractive
is to darken the eyes and mouth relative to the surrounding skin. It is a reasonable supposition that
primarily women use cosmetics to accentuate the face pattern because only they are
made more attractive by this transformation. This suggests that the relationship
between attractiveness and the luminance difference between the eyes and mouth and
the rest of the face (the amplitude of the face pattern) differs by sex, rather than being
common to all faces.
(For those who don't want to read everything, just read the 'claim/hypothesis' part then skip to the 'conclusion' part and read everything below that.)

Main Claim & Hypothesis:
Both males and females generally have eye and mouth regions that are 'darker' than the surrounding face but the relative luminance difference is greater in female faces than in male faces.

Increasing the luminance difference between the eyes, mouth, and the rest of face should make female faces more feminine and hence MORE attractive.
Decreasing the luminance difference
between the eyes, mouth, and the rest of the face should make male faces more masculine and hence MORE attractive.

👇In order to see if this was true, 4 experiments were conducted👇

Experiment #1:
In the first experiment, versions of each face
were made in which the eyes and mouths of the faces were darkened, lightened, or left unchanged, while the rest of the face was untouched.
View attachment 1024465
Figure 1. From left to right are examples of luminance-difference decreased, unchanged, and
luminance-difference increased versions of female (top) and male (bottom) faces from experiment 1.
View attachment 1024466
Figure 2. Results from experiment 1. Ratings for male and female faces are plotted for the three
conditions. Higher numbers indicate higher ratings. Error bars are Æ1 SE.

Results: Pairwise comparisons of the female faces found that the faces in the difference-increased and unchanged
conditions elicited significantly more attractive ratings than the faces in the difference-
decreased condition. The faces in the difference-increased condition were rated more
attractive than those in the unchanged condition.
The male faces showed the exact opposite configuration

of results, with the faces in the difference-decreased and unchanged conditions being
rated significantly more attractive than the faces in the difference-increased condition.
Though the male faces were rated more attractive in the difference-decreased condition than the unchanged condition.

The results show a clear interaction between the size of the luminance difference
and the sex of the face being rated. Specifically, female faces were rated more
attractive when the difference between the eyes and mouth was increased than when
it was decreased, while for male faces the opposite was the case.

Experiment #2:
In the second experiment,
versions of each face were made in which the eyes and mouths of the faces were left

untouched, while the rest of the face was darkened, lightened, or left unchanged.
Because the eyes and mouth were held constant, luminance difference
was increased when the rest of the face was lightened, and luminance difference was
decreased when the rest of the face was darkened.
View attachment 1024472
Figure 3. From left to right are examples of luminance-difference decreased, unchanged, and
luminance-difference increased versions of female (top) and male (bottom) faces from experiment 2.
View attachment 1024474
Figure 4. Results from experiment 2. Ratings for male and female faces are plotted for the three
conditions. Higher numbers indicate higher ratings. Error bars are Æ1 SE.

Results: Pairwise comparisons of the female faces found no significant differences between any of the
conditions. However, for the male faces, significant differences were found between all
three of the conditions, with the difference-decreased faces more attractive than the
unchanged faces, which were in turn more attractive than the difference-increased
faces.

The results for male faces in experiment 2 were
consistent with the notion that male faces are more attractive when the luminance
difference between the eyes and mouth and the rest of the face is decreased, and less
attractive when it is increased.

Experiment #3:
The third experiment, unlike the other three, used images of the faces that included
the entire head and neck. The images were the same as those used in experiment 1,
except that more of the head was visible. This experiment was performed to assess
whether the results of the first two experiments would be the same when the external

features of the face were visible.
View attachment 1024483
Figure 5. From left to right are examples of luminance-difference decreased, unchanged, and
luminance-difference increased versions of female (top) and male (bottom) faces from experiment 3.
View attachment 1024485
Figure 6. Results from experiment 3. Ratings for male and female faces are plotted for the three
conditions. Higher numbers indicate higher ratings. Error bars are +/-1 SE.

Results: Pairwise comparisons of
the female faces found the unchanged faces to be significantly more attractive than the
difference-decreased faces. Pairwise comparisons of the male faces showed the faces in the difference-decreased and unchanged conditions to be rated significantly more attractive than the faces in the difference-increased condition.

Experiment #4:
In the fourth experiment,
there were also three versions of each face, though the entire image was darkened or
lightened, with no portion being left untouched. This experiment did not change the relative luminance
difference between the eyes and mouth and the rest of the face.
View attachment 1024486
Figure 7. From left to right are examples of darkened, unchanged, and brightened versions of female (top) and male (bottom) faces from experiment 4.
View attachment 1024487
Figure 8. Results from experiment 4. Ratings for male and female faces plotted for the three
overall luminance conditions. Higher numbers indicate higher ratings. Error bars are +/-1 SE.

Results: Critically, unlike
the other three experiments in which the luminance difference between the eyes and
mouth and the rest of the face was manipulated, there was no interaction between condition and sex of face in experiment 4.
Changing the luminance of only the eyes and mouth (experiments
1 and 3) or only the rest of the face (experiment 2) affected the attractiveness of male
and female faces differently. However, changing the luminance value of the entire image
(experiment 4) did not affect the attractiveness of male and female faces differently.

Conclusion:
The assertion that the present study does support is that
the size of the luminance difference between the eyes and mouth and the rest of the
face affects the attractiveness of male and female faces differently.
Increasing the luminance difference of a female face will make the face more feminine, and hence more attractive.
Decreasing the luminance difference of a male face will make the face more masculine, and hence more attractive.

Even without cosmetics the luminance difference between the eyes and the mouth and the rest of the face is greater in women than men, because the rest of the face is lighter in women than in men. The lighter skin of females is ultimately a result of their greater need for UV light to synthesize previtamin D3 to support the greater calcium needs of pregnancy.

View attachment 1024488
As you can see, the more feminine the face gets the luminance difference increases(mainly because of lighter skin) and the more masculine the face gets the luminance difference decreases(mainly due to 'darker' skin). Secondary factors like facial hair, eyebrows, and vermilion exposure also played a role in increasing or decreasing the facial luminance difference.

THE BIG QUESTION:
What can we as men do to decrease the luminance difference between our eyes, mouth, and the rest of the face to become more masculine and attractive?
Option 1: Grow out facial hair

A bonus addition to this option could be to darken and thicken your eyebrows via dyes + eyebrow transplants. Thicker, darker eyebrows reduce the luminance difference between the eyes and the rest of the face.

*Option 2: Tan

The reason I put an asterisk by this option is because this may not apply to everyone, especially those with already dark skin. But this can help those that have a vampire-like pale and unhealthy skin.

Examples of how women use make-up to increase the luminance difference between the eyes, mouth, and the rest of the face to look more attractive:
Just the eyes:
View attachment 1024492
(mainly with the use of eyelashes, eyeliner, and mascara)

Just the mouth:
View attachment 1024494
(mainly with the use of lipstick and lip gloss)

Both eyes & mouth:
View attachment 1024496View attachment 1024497
(eyelashes, eyeliner/mascara for eyes and lipstick/lip gloss for mouth)
Notice how they have increased the luminance difference between the eyes, mouth, and the rest of the face by making their eyes and mouth 'darker' and thus making them more attractive.

Examples of how men can reduce the luminance difference between the eyes, mouth, and the rest of the face to look more attractive:
'Darken' skin:
View attachment 1024501
(self-tanners, beta-carotene supps, MT2, tanning beds)

Just the eyes:
View attachment 1024502
(thickening + darkening eyebrows)
*the key difference between men and women in this aspect is that women thin the brows and enhance the eyelashes + eyeliner/mascara while men thicken/darken eyebrows and avoid the use of eyeliner/mascara.

Just the mouth:
View attachment 1024504
(growing out facial hair or get a beard transplant if you can't)

All of the above:
View attachment 1024506
(skin 'darker' (tanner), hair + eyebrows darker, facial hair grown out)
These are ways men can reduce their luminance difference by 'darkening' their skin + hair to look more attractive.

Yes I know weight loss and other factors as well helped create such a drastic outcome but finding pics for men was much harder than for women but I tried.

@john2 @Chintuck22 @the next o'pry @TRNA @SubhumanCurrycel @Grimba @Ocelot @tyronelite @far336
Ok, so based on this, a man that has already overly masculine features, if he wants to balance it out, he has to increase his luminance, right?

Best formatting I have seen so far. Very interesting use of spoiler tags
How can I thicken and darken my eyebrows? And how long time will it take for me to tan if I use the supplements you mentioned above

Bump - coming back to this high IQ thread

• +1
Reactions: Lookologist003, zenflix and thecel
Damn this thread deserves a bump I agree

• +1
Reactions: thecel
fucking shocker that this ogre looking motherfucker looks "less attractive" with mascara and lipstick jfl.
Screenshot 2023 06 08 at 91500 PM

where was this study conducted? why is there no source listed?

THE STATE OF THIS FORUM'S MUCH LAUDED "BOTB"

• Hmm...
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: Lookologist003, Deleted member 29167 and thecel
fucking shocker that this ogre looking motherfucker looks "less attractive" with mascara and lipstick jfl.
View attachment 2249180

where was this study conducted? why is there no source listed?

THE STATE OF THIS FORUM'S MUCH LAUDED "BOTB"
I found the 18 page text its free for download, OP isn't like fabricating information, if he was I would have called him out on it long ago when I was fact checking his threads

• +1
Reactions: Lookologist003 and forevermirin
I found the 18 page text its free for download, OP isn't like fabricating information, if he was I would have called him out on it long ago when I was fact checking his threads
okay seems like a valid source op should've probably credited the author. but anyway, its some psych professor doing this research and science is always behind intuition so i dont think they really accounted for the "ogreness" of the face used. a "prettier" looking man may well have produced different results imo. i havent gone thru the paper tho, so if he did my bad.

• Love it
Reactions: Lookologist003
Shame on me for only reading this just now. I had this idea or something similar to it. Luminescence difference would better be called contrast, or at least I think so. And especial focus to eyes, because it's what you look at more than mouth.

@traveler This is why eye makeup is so powerful for women. Though, my statement about men benefiting from wearing or using makeup could then be wrong. It is wrong for masc looks, but there's more to be said about makeup maxxing for pretty boys and for concealing dark circles and other subhuman soft feature flaws.
It was in this thread where you agreed with me about it.

It's the eye makeup that's OP as fuck. When you might see men complain about muh before after makeup, it's because an alcohol wipe was ran across the eye makeup, and reveals UUE, decreases contrast with sclera by removal of eyeliner and mascara or if fake lashes were taken off before hand.

This shit would be super inspiring if guys could be allowed to wear it. I know I would watch a lot of makeup tutorials.

• Woah
Reactions: traveler
Shame on me for only reading this just now. I had this idea or something similar to it. Luminescence difference would better be called contrast, or at least I think so. And especial focus to eyes, because it's what you look at more than mouth.

@traveler This is why eye makeup is so powerful for women. Though, my statement about men benefiting from wearing or using makeup could then be wrong. It is wrong for masc looks, but there's more to be said about makeup maxxing for pretty boys and for concealing dark circles and other subhuman soft feature flaws.
It was in this thread where you agreed with me about it.

legit eye make up can make a female have zero appeal to sexual appeal

• JFL
Reactions: Lookologist003