Genetically engineering yeast so it produces drugs?

TsarTsar444

TsarTsar444

Asexual peaceful balkan monk
Just thought about this ngl, if you genetically engineer yeast to produce something like psilocybin you are going to be one rich drug dealer jfl

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 13787 and ´´´´´´´´
Already been done. There's articles about it, but it was done with bacteria.

Yes, I had the exact same idea like 20 years ago, when I've read that synthetic insulin is produced by genetically modified bacteria, and I was like: "Hey, why don't we do the same thing to make heroin, cocaine, etc...?"

• +1
Reactions: TsarTsar444
Yes, I had the exact same idea like 20 years ago, when I've read that synthetic insulin is produced by genetically modified bacteria, and I was like: "Hey, why don't we do the same thing to make heroin, cocaine, etc...?"
Cocaine can be produced actually by a yeast, lmao, cause the substance is produced by a plant, and in fact its not hard at all to do if you have the equipment and knowledge. I have no clue why the cartels or someone else has done it yet, it would make them stinking rich.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 13787 and Gonthar
Cocaine can be produced actually by a yeast, lmao, cause the substance is produced by a plant, and in fact its not hard at all to do if you have the equipment and knowledge. I have no clue why the cartels or someone else has done it yet, it would make them stinking rich.
Interesting, the coca plant has very specific grow requirements - it needs lots of humidity, heat and high altitude, only in South America and some parts of SE Asia these conditions are met, so the cost of cocaine can be pretty high in countries far away from South America. If cocaine could be produced locally, its price would drop significantly, full synthetic synthesis is also very complicated and costly, a bacteria or yeast producing cocaine could significantly change the market, people could be able to produce it just as simply as brewing alcohol at home...

• +1
Reactions: .👽.
already been done with bacteria, better to do it with legal drugs like insulin because they go for much more

• +1
Reactions: TsarTsar444
already been done with bacteria, better to do it with legal drugs like insulin because they go for much more
Yeast is better cause it closer to humans, its a eucaryote

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 13787
I know that insulin is produced by bacteria lol, im a med student. But yeast could be better for Cocaine
it would cost roughly 900k to genetically engineer yeast and you would probably not make profit by the time you are caught, not worth it

it would cost roughly 900k to genetically engineer yeast and you would probably not make profit by the time you are caught, not worth it
Whats the reason it would cost that much?

• Hmm...
3d printing plasmids costs a shit ton
Why do we need to 3d print them? Couldn't we just extract some from bacteria?

• Hmm...
Why do we need to 3d print them? Couldn't we just extract some from bacteria?
i dont think that would work, would be too hard to pay constant attention to because it would probs end up producing ethanol or some shit

i dont think that would work, would be too hard to pay constant attention to because it would probs end up producing ethanol or some shit
Yes it could be controlled with a negative and positive control, you can put an antibiotic resistent gene in the plasmide as well and if you introtuce antibiotics to the colony the ones that have successfully integrated the plasmide will not die off and then they can beade to proliferate very easy. Insulin production is very cheap cause bacteria needs no maintenance

• Hmm...
Yes it could be controlled with a negative and positive control, you can put an antibiotic resistent gene in the plasmide as well and if you introtuce antibiotics to the colony the ones that have successfully integrated the plasmide will not die off and then they can beade to proliferate very easy. Insulin production is very cheap cause bacteria needs no maintenance
yeah and then it gets infected and a antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria that infects yeast gets released

yeah and then it gets infected and a antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria that infects yeast gets released
What? Thats not how it works, they use special types of antibiotics for those purposes. And its heavily controlled in laboratories. Bacteria aren't like viruses, they are harder to spread

• Hmm...
What? Thats not how it works, they use special types of antibiotics for those purposes. And its heavily controlled in laboratories. Bacteria aren't like viruses, they are harder to spread
bacteria is very easy to spread human to human and considering they are both eukaryotes i wouldnt be suprised if it could infect humans, but you know more about this than i do

bacteria is very easy to spread human to human and considering they are both eukaryotes i wouldnt be suprised if it could infect humans, but you know more about this than i do
Thats not how it works, humans take antibiotics like candy it isn't that simple for bacteria to become some super strain and wreck havoc. Escherihia coli is cultivated on special platforms with a feeding culture, and its a non pathogenic type of bacteria, also we have studied its full genome. Its even better then yeast cause the plasmides in the bacteria are very similar to the ones located in chloroplasts of plants actually

• Hmm...
Thats not how it works, humans take antibiotics like candy it isn't that simple for bacteria to become some super strain and wreck havoc. Escherihia coli is cultivated on special platforms with a feeding culture, and its a non pathogenic type of bacteria, also we have studied its full genome. Its even better then yeast cause the plasmides in the bacteria are very similar to the ones located in chloroplasts of plants actually
you dont know that, humans have only developed roughly 5 tiers of antibiotic and if they were to all be lost to some stupid yeast experiment the human race would end or go into a permanent lockdown

you dont know that, humans have only developed roughly 5 tiers of antibiotic and if they were to all be lost to some stupid yeast experiment the human race would end or go into a permanent lockdown
Escherihia coli is not a pathogen to humans

• Hmm...
Just thought about this ngl, if you genetically engineer yeast to produce something like psilocybin you are going to be one rich drug dealer jfl
It can't be done from scratch. There needs to be a metabolic pathway present I think. Can't just make it produce anything you want to.