Good lighting is mans makeup

JustChris

JustChris

Slay or be slayed
Good lighting is what makes photos great. No matter how good looking you are, if the lighting is shit, your face will look like shit compared to someone sitting in good lighting.

Now, if you have good lighting, you'll look like a greek god sculpted by Zeus himself. Ofcourse, this only works if you have a somewhat lean face so that good lighting can do its wonders and make those zygos and jawline pop out.
Good lighting only enhances your ALREADY EXISTENT FEATURES. Don't expect it to give you godlike lower third or whatever.

• +1
Reactions: Hades, Chinko, Whyamihere and 11 others
Good lighting is what makes photos great. No matter how good looking you are, if the lighting is shit, your face will look like shit compared to someone sitting in good lighting.

Now, if you have good lighting, you'll look like a greek god sculpted by Zeus himself. Ofcourse, this only works if you have a somewhat lean face so that good lighting can do its wonders and make those zygos and jawline pop out.
Good lighting only enhances your ALREADY EXISTENT FEATURES. Don't expect it to give you godlike lower third or whatever.

What constitutes good lightning though ?

I look best in the dark.

• +1
Reactions: tombradylover, Chinko, Currycellmate and 4 others
What constitutes good lightning though ?

Downward lighting is only good if you want to show your physique (body). It enhances your muscle definition.
Downward lighting is horrible when it comes to portrait photos, because you get all these weird shadows on your face that makes your face look bad.

Ideal lighting would be a source of light that it's at the same level as your face, or lighting from behind.

• +1
Reactions: Nibba
makeup tbh, it makes a woman attractive but it will never make her beautiful. A girl that looks good without makeup, will still mog a 4/10 with her best makeup to oblivion simply because makeup only fixes/improves some things but not everything.

In the end, the girls that look good without makeup are the ones you will be obsessed with. Because when you get an oneitis, you brain senses that her genetics are good so you will like her even without makeup. Oneitis or death basically

• +1
Reactions: LooksJourney
How do I get that good lightening tbh? Elab please

How do I get that good lightening tbh? Elab please

It's quite tricky to explain to be honest, some photographers showed me how to optimize it. You need to take the picture during a certain time period of the day if you want natural light, or you can just use a light spot or a lamp for the same effect.

I'll edit my post with pictures to explain in a few moments.

There you go, 3 different lighting sources.

First is lighting from behind. It makes your face shape pop out. Jawline, zygos, hollow cheeks. It obscures your eye area tho so if you have blue/green eyes they will not pop out as much.

Second is face level lighting. You can achieve this during any time of the day with natural lighting. Just make sure that the sun doesn't fall directly on your face. For example ambient room lighting creates this effect.

Fasd

Third is golden hour lighting. You can only get this when the sun sets. It's preferable to have the sun fall directly on your face. It creates a better lower third with a minimal shadow underneath it to make it look more defined.

Hope this helps @11gaijin

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Madhate, middayshowers, Chinko and 3 others
Outdoor lighting is the best for pics.

When I remake my tinder I'll only use outdoor shots from the brightest days.

makeup tbh, it makes a woman attractive but it will never make her beautiful. A girl that looks good without makeup, will still mog a 4/10 with her best makeup to oblivion simply because makeup only fixes/improves some things but not everything.

In the end, the girls that look good without makeup are the ones you will be obsessed with. Because when you get an oneitis, you brain senses that her genetics are good so you will like her even without makeup. Oneitis or death basically

"You will be more attracted to more attractive girls" :feelstastyman:

• +1
Reactions: LooksJourney
Downward lighting is only good if you want to show your physique (body). It enhances your muscle definition.
Downward lighting is horrible when it comes to portrait photos, because you get all these weird shadows on your face that makes your face look bad.

Ideal lighting would be a source of light that it's at the same level as your face, or lighting from behind.
Lighting from the front like on the mirror itself is the best imo

It's quite tricky to explain to be honest, some photographers showed me how to optimize it. You need to take the picture during a certain time period of the day if you want natural light, or you can just use a light spot or a lamp for the same effect.

First is lighting from behind. It makes your face shape pop out. Jawline, zygos, hollow cheeks. It obscures your eye area tho so if you have blue/green eyes they will not pop out as much.
View attachment 2106

Second is face level lighting. You can achieve this during any time of the day with natural lighting. Just make sure that the sun doesn't fall directly on your face. For example ambient room lighting creates this effect.

View attachment 2107

Third is golden hour lighting. You can only get this when the sun sets. It's preferable to have the sun fall directly on your face. It creates a better lower third with a minimal shadow underneath it to make it look more defined.
View attachment 2108

Solid post. Which one of them would you recommend the most if you have naturally tan/golden skin tone ?

View attachment 2106

View attachment 2107

View attachment 2108

Nice post, useful info. (y)(y)

This explain who my face looks better with lighting from behind

Attachments

• 1A2BA409-598E-4F05-BA47-830E6FD496EF.jpeg
    1A2BA409-598E-4F05-BA47-830E6FD496EF.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 79
Just go out with a lamp on your head theory

yea my high cheekbones are fully visible in broad daylight or under good light. it's legit...

Last edited:
Screenshot 20190802 233732 Gallery

hard lightning from a diagonal vertical angle does a good work in making cheeks pop but at the cost of leaving eye area and chin in shadow

lighting is literally everything