LifeFuel How I went from autistic to a passing human

Witheredly90

Witheredly90

Zephir
Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Posts
2,819
Reputation
3,015
Time online
25d 15h 22m
Spent 1 year working in retail as a cashier or customer service person. At first talking with anyone I did not know for longer then 10 seconds physically hurt me. I literally would struggle with anxiety and overthink getting a product from a store. It was so bad that I was anxious whenever I could not get self check out and had to go through a cashier.

Now I can talk with most people without any anxiety. 50% of my social problems were based off anxiety not my actual ability. Literally having repetitive interactions with people 8 hours a day made me lose all fear of it. I might hate people more now but I certainly am not afraid of them.

If anyone relates to the first part of this please get a shitty job in retail. It won't be fun but you'll get payed for free interaction with people. Literally as a cashier you see 100 people a day eventually you will become numb to it.
 
LooksOverAll

LooksOverAll

Zephir
Joined
Jun 8, 2020
Posts
8,724
Reputation
15,639
Time online
114d 11h 40m
Where did you work?
 
Witheredly90

Witheredly90

Zephir
Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Posts
2,819
Reputation
3,015
Time online
25d 15h 22m
LooksOverAll said:
What kind of job did you work as?
I worked as a check out cashier mainly (that was my least favorite). And I worked at a deli and basically would make people sandwiches or get people meats and cheeses. I liked this one because it was fun being able to actually control what the customers got on their plate, Vs as a cashier/customer service person people would always be mad about things I had no control over.

Like for example they would complain their gift card expired (which I can't change) they would yell at me to ask a manager the manager would say something like if the computer says its expired I can't do anything about it. And so they would blame me for that stuff. It wasn't fun but it also taught me not to take things personally I realized people were just projecting their anger and it made me realize that is true with a lot of things in life.

Usually people are rarely angry or dislike you specifically they do not care enough about you. And people will shoot the messenger time and time again even when they have no say in something. It taught me to be stoic about things.
 
Last edited:
FastBananaCEO

FastBananaCEO

Banned
Joined
Feb 10, 2020
Posts
34,244
Reputation
53,361
Time online
220d 4h 46m
Amnesia @Amnesia some motivation for you my brudda
 
rydofx

rydofx

Wizard
Joined
Feb 11, 2020
Posts
1,217
Reputation
1,118
Time online
13d 12h 9m
Witheredly90 said:
Spent 1 year working in retail as a cashier or customer service person. At first talking with anyone I did not know for longer then 10 seconds physically hurt me. I literally would struggle with anxiety and overthink getting a product from a store. It was so bad that I was anxious whenever I could not get self check out and had to go through a cashier.

Now I can talk with most people without any anxiety. 50% of my social problems were based off anxiety not my actual ability. Literally having repetitive interactions with people 8 hours a day made me lose all fear of it. I might hate people more now but I certainly am not afraid of them.

If anyone relates to the first part of this please get a shitty job in retail. It won't be fun but you'll get payed for free interaction with people. Literally as a cashier you see 100 people a day eventually you will become numb to it.
Was a cashier for two years it makes u nt. it also makes u hate karens. but u learn how to become better at speaking to randos
 
Witheredly90

Witheredly90

Zephir
Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Posts
2,819
Reputation
3,015
Time online
25d 15h 22m
rydofx said:
Was a cashier for two years it makes u nt. it also makes u hate karens. but u learn how to become better at speaking to randos
Hating people actually helped me socially. I am no longer afraid of fucking up
 
HQNPmaxxing

HQNPmaxxing

the coloringpill destroyed me
Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Posts
4,360
Reputation
7,751
Time online
68d 17h 22m
yep, being a cashier made me become less cynical and I realized most people are actually happy/ nice people. Most the people I interact with at my store are fat boomers and middle aged women though. Its very rare I get to interact with a good looking prime age woman :feelswah:.
 
HQNPmaxxing

HQNPmaxxing

the coloringpill destroyed me
Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Posts
4,360
Reputation
7,751
Time online
68d 17h 22m
pay is shit though, and its sooo boring. I hope I can find a better way to make money so I can quit
 
Witheredly90

Witheredly90

Zephir
Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Posts
2,819
Reputation
3,015
Time online
25d 15h 22m
HQNPmaxxing said:
pay is shit though, and its sooo boring. I hope I can find a better way to make money so I can quit
If your social skills are decent there would be no reason to do it. But it can help you become average in most social scenarios.
 
Witheredly90

Witheredly90

Zephir
Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Posts
2,819
Reputation
3,015
Time online
25d 15h 22m
HQNPmaxxing said:
yep, being a cashier made me become less cynical and I realized most people are actually happy/ nice people. Most the people I interact with at my store are fat boomers and middle aged women though. Its very rare I get to interact with a good looking prime age woman :feelswah:.
Lol how did it make you less cynical?
 
HQNPmaxxing

HQNPmaxxing

the coloringpill destroyed me
Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Posts
4,360
Reputation
7,751
Time online
68d 17h 22m
Witheredly90 said:
Lol how did it make you less cynical?
Cause I thought a lot more people would be rude / dislike me. Turns out most people are polite, but then there is the occasional Karen/Shaniqua of course
 
Witheredly90

Witheredly90

Zephir
Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Posts
2,819
Reputation
3,015
Time online
25d 15h 22m
HQNPmaxxing said:
Cause I thought a lot more people would be rude / dislike me. Turns out most people are polite, but then there is the occasional Karen/Shaniqua of course
hmmm I guess people weren't nice to me at my customer service job. To be fair people went there because they had problems so they were already pissed off.
 
HQNPmaxxing

HQNPmaxxing

the coloringpill destroyed me
Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Posts
4,360
Reputation
7,751
Time online
68d 17h 22m
Witheredly90 said:
hmmm I guess people weren't nice to me at my customer service job. To be fair people went there because they had problems so they were already pissed off.
Yeah customer service is different lol. But with being a cashier most people just want to get in and out of line and go on with their day.
 
Witheredly90

Witheredly90

Zephir
Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Posts
2,819
Reputation
3,015
Time online
25d 15h 22m
HQNPmaxxing said:
Yeah customer service is different lol. But with being a cashier most people just want to get in and out of line and go on with their day.
My deli job was better... Also I had people who talked with me in the work area at the cashier job I was all by myself.
 
Rush

Rush

🗡️🩸
Joined
May 25, 2020
Posts
3,233
Reputation
5,769
Time online
47d 21h 36m
Witheredly90 said:
My deli job was better... Also I had people who talked with me in the work area at the cashier job I was all by myself.
I couldn't work at deli. I felt like a robot, just making sandwiches for 8 hours straight. All you do is make fucking sandwiches or other stuff for 8 hours. Felt like slavery ngl
 
Witheredly90

Witheredly90

Zephir
Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Posts
2,819
Reputation
3,015
Time online
25d 15h 22m
Rush said:
I couldn't work at deli. I felt like a robot, just making sandwiches for 8 hours straight. All you do is make fucking sandwiches or other stuff for 8 hours. Felt like slavery ngl
It was boring but I would be talking with people half the time. Also the last 3 hours of my shift hardly anyone would come in so I would talk with people or just be on my phone.
 
ChristianChad

ChristianChad

Zephir
Joined
Mar 17, 2021
Posts
6,320
Reputation
6,932
Time online
33d 21h 50m
I need a summer job to become NT
 
O

one job away

Zephir
Joined
Jan 31, 2021
Posts
4,974
Reputation
5,996
Time online
110d 13h 30m
Witheredly90 said:
I worked as a check out cashier mainly (that was my least favorite). And I worked at a deli and basically would make people sandwiches or get people meats and cheeses. I liked this one because it was fun being able to actually control what the customers got on their plate, Vs as a cashier/customer service person people would always be mad about things I had no control over.

Like for example they would complain their gift card expired (which I can't change) they would yell at me to ask a manager the manager would say something like if the computer says its expired I can't do anything about it. And so they would blame me for that stuff. It wasn't fun but it also taught me not to take things personally I realized people were just projecting their anger and it made me realize that is true with a lot of things in life.

Usually people are rarely angry or dislike you specifically they do not care enough about you. And people will shoot the messenger time and time again even when they have no say in something. It taught me to be stoic about things.
Didn’t help me tbh.
 
AtlasTH

AtlasTH

Instructor
Joined
Jun 13, 2021
Posts
591
Reputation
1,045
Time online
32d 6h 40m
Rush said:
getting depressed helped me get rid of social anxiety because i stopped caring about what others think

If you have bad social skills you will still get punish for it dosent matter if you think or not.
 
AtlasTH

AtlasTH

Instructor
Joined
Jun 13, 2021
Posts
591
Reputation
1,045
Time online
32d 6h 40m
Witheredly90 said:
Spent 1 year working in retail as a cashier or customer service person. At first talking with anyone I did not know for longer then 10 seconds physically hurt me. I literally would struggle with anxiety and overthink getting a product from a store. It was so bad that I was anxious whenever I could not get self check out and had to go through a cashier.

Now I can talk with most people without any anxiety. 50% of my social problems were based off anxiety not my actual ability. Literally having repetitive interactions with people 8 hours a day made me lose all fear of it. I might hate people more now but I certainly am not afraid of them.

If anyone relates to the first part of this please get a shitty job in retail. It won't be fun but you'll get payed for free interaction with people. Literally as a cashier you see 100 people a day eventually you will become numb to it.

Doesn't make any sense. Cashier are forced to talk to customer. Customer only talk to cashier because of they need too.


Its completely different story on social skills we need in social circle where people don't give a fuck about you unless you are interested

JFL cashier require 0% afford 0 attention needed. You don't even need to think what you gonna speak, it's fucking robot with script where In real social skills you need to out some afford to it.
 
Witheredly90

Witheredly90

Zephir
Joined
Dec 4, 2020
Posts
2,819
Reputation
3,015
Time online
25d 15h 22m
AtlasTH said:
Doesn't make any sense. Cashier are forced to talk to customer. Customer only talk to cashier because of they need too.


Its completely different story on social skills we need in social circle where people don't give a fuck about you unless you are interested

JFL cashier require 0% afford 0 attention needed. You don't even need to think what you gonna speak, it's fucking robot with script where In real social skills you need to out some afford to it.
It mainly helped with me being anxious. I used to feel anxiety when people looked at me...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top