How much protein a day for bodybuilding?

nattycel

nattycel

Hopeless
I got whey protein and want to build muscle. I'm a noob in the gym.

Weight - 205lbs skinnyfat
Height - 6'1

150g per day will be enough

• +1
Reactions: jefferson and nattycel
0.8g per 1lb of bodyweight, but gym is cope anyway.

• +1
Reactions: mojopin and jefferson
0.8g per 1lb of bodyweight, but gym is cope anyway.
Get out with negative comments, I'm trying to change my life here. :feelsree:

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite
1 gram per lb. Don't be too anal about it just try to eat a lot of protein.
Also even though gym is cope it's a good place for mental health imo. If I have a bad day or start feeling shitty I take it out on the weights. When I start skipping gym my mental health starts to go down the shitter too.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: jefferson and nattycel
Also even though gym is cope it's a good place for mental health imo. If I have a bad day or start feeling shitty I take it out on the weights. When I start skipping gym my mental health starts to go down the shitter too.
For real, I don't know if it's the dopamine or something else but going to the gym is one of the best natural anti-depressants for me.

At this point, I'll take anything over sitting in my room. It's not safe for me to be alone for long periods.
I tend to get serious bad thoughts when I'm alone for too long.

• +1
Reactions: CopeMaxxer
if your skinny fat, eat 1.5gs of protein per lb, you can recomp on that srs.

Most gym guys eat way too much protein. 1g per lb is way too much imo. Too much protein is not healthy and can lead to kidney problems. You'd be putting unhealthy amounts of nitrogen into your body by eating 200lbs+ of protein a day. Start at 120/130 and see where it gets you. Quality of protein is more important. Not all protein contains all the essential aminos. Meat, fish, dairy and eggs are where it's at. Although it's possible to get good quality vegan proteins now as well - as long as you take a variety in order to get the full range of aminos.

Either you've got some muscle under there or you're just fat
I work manual labour job, loading unloading containers and such. Might have some muscle.

I also have some love handles with belly fat that I want to get rid off for now.

I work manual labour job, loading unloading containers and such. Might have some muscle.

I also have some love handles with belly fat that I want to get rid off for now.
Makes sense. Do you have big bones?

Makes sense. Do you have big bones?
I think I do. I will post some pics when I get rid of my belly fat and love handles.

lol 205 lbs skinny fat. You are not skinnyfat nigga. You are just FAT.

A MINIMUM of 0.5g/lb of body mass, at this amount you'll simply maintain your current muscle. (Gains will be extremely slow, or none at all)
A GOOD amount is 0.75-0.8g/lb of body mass, this is what you need to make good, optimum progress.
The MOST you will ever need (seriously no one needs to eat more than this) is 1g/lb of body mass. Personally this is the amount I aim for everyday, because I know that if I at least get close to it, I'm eating the correct amount to maintain and maybe add muscle with some luck (on a cut at the moment).