How to Proper Swallow with Liquids?

CopeMaxxer

CopeMaxxer

Bronze
So I'm attempting to get my swallowing and chewing down. I understand how to properly swallow solid food: Chew it up, then push it to the back of my mouth with my tongue so I don''t need to use any facial muscles when swallowing. However I'm water-maxxing these days, and I can't really figure out how to do it with liquids. Anyone know what the technique is?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 466
You have to execute a "rolling push" with your tongue on the roof of your mouth, from front to back. This pushes the liquid back toward the throat, whereupon the throat muscles take over. When I do it, I start with the tip of the tongue in the Mewing position (look it up if necessary), then I do a sort of rolling suction motion which sucks the rest of my tongue up to the palate from front to back.

A good way to practice proper swallowing is to do it while making a cheesy grin. Do not close the lips at all, even though your bad-swallowing muscle memory will probably do everything to close them. You do not need the lips. Nor do you need any of the muscles in your face. Feel around your lower third when you're swallowing - if you feel any muscle engagement (masseters, buccinators) then you're doing it wrong.

• +1
Reactions: mojopin and CopeMaxxer
You have to execute a "rolling push" with your tongue on the roof of your mouth, from front to back. This pushes the liquid back toward the throat, whereupon the throat muscles take over. When I do it, I start with the tip of the tongue in the Mewing position (look it up if necessary), then I do a sort of rolling suction motion which sucks the rest of my tongue up to the palate from front to back.

A good way to practice proper swallowing is to do it while making a cheesy grin. Do not close the lips at all, even though your bad-swallowing muscle memory will probably do everything to close them. You do not need the lips. Nor do you need any of the muscles in your face. Feel around your lower third when you're swallowing - if you feel any muscle engagement (masseters, buccinators) then you're doing it wrong.
thanks. cheesy grin cue should be helpful.

thanks. cheesy grin cue should be helpful.

Yeah Mike Mew talks about it in his video about swallowing. As always with Mew, he tends to waffle on a bit instead of getting to the point, but the advice is sound.