How to tell if your mandible is diminished & downward grown

TaCopineEstMoche

TaCopineEstMoche

Banned
I have a new physical trait for you insufferable balls of neurosis to obsess over - the antegonial notch. This notch is located on the bottom of the mandible, just a little way forward of the ramus. Run your thumb along the bottom of your mandible. If you have a deep notch in your mandible around that area, your mandible is downward grown.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3468794/

• +1
Reactions: Racky
I have no idea where to feel and what Im supposed to feel. Please elab for us lowIqcels

I have no idea where to feel and what Im supposed to feel. Please elab for us lowIqcels

The-antegonial-notch-depth-and-the-region-of-interest-10-10-mm-2-in-the-human_Q320.jpg

I have a new physical trait for you insufferable balls of neurosis to obsess over - the antegonial notch. This notch is located on the bottom of the mandible, just a little way forward of the ramus. Run your thumb along the bottom of your mandible. If you have a deep notch in your mandible around that area, your mandible is downward grown.

I think everyone has this lol...

Why worry about something you don't have control over?

• +1
Reactions: Wincel
Why worry about something you don't have control over?

The things I have no control over are the things I worry about the most. The more control I have over them, the less I worry. Different philosophy I guess. Not that I'm worried about this notch in any way shape or form.

I have a very prominent one, always knew it was a sign of recession tbh

I can kinda feel it but my jaw isn't awful, doesn't really affect how it looks at all

I can kinda feel it but my jaw isn't awful, doesn't really affect how it looks at all

The notch itself doesn't affect how your jaw looks. It's just a symptom of downward growth to the extent of its size. You can imagine it as a physical artifact of the jawbone growing downward.

I just feel my massetter tbh, are you referring to the massetter?

One of my notches is much bigger than the other. Just one of many weird asymmetries all over my broken body.

alright bitch nice try

one half of my mandible is downward grown and one isn't. The half that's fine has this notch and the half that is downward grown barley has one at all

seems reversed or its just a random thing

alright bitch nice try

one half of my mandible is downward grown and one isn't. The half that's fine has this notch and the half that is downward grown barley has one at all

seems reversed or its just a random thing

You have confused notches bro, it's over

• +1
Reactions: Wincel

Ok thanks for confirming what i allready know, my facial growth is shit. Is yours downward grown?

• +1
Reactions: Nibba
Ok thanks for confirming what i allready know, my facial growth is shit. Is yours downward grown?

Of course it is. Not as bad as some I've seen, but basically if you took my entire jaw and rotated it CCW a little, I would be JAW-JUS

any way to fix downward growth other than surgery? I assume it's too late for proper oral posture to help now

any way to fix downward growth other than surgery? I assume it's too late for proper oral posture to help now

Well there are devices like FAGGA which are supposed to help by creating forward growth in the maxilla. I think the theory is that the mandible will, if there's enough growth, swing forward to meet it. The jury is still out on FAGGA although there are a lot of very intense enthusiasts.

Well there are devices like FAGGA which are supposed to help by creating forward growth in the maxilla. I think the theory is that the mandible will, if there's enough growth, swing forward to meet it. The jury is still out on FAGGA although there are a lot of very intense enthusiasts.
so theoretically mewing should technically help a bit by inducing growth in the maxilla?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 470
mewing can work up till age 23. i started at 18 and my face changed in a year drastically
well, I've already been for a month or so, so hopefully it'll still work, my jaw isn't too awful as is but if it was properly grown forward it would look a lot better

intresting. i have this notch but people always said it looks good

Attachments

• IMG_20180916_174659_775.jpg
    IMG_20180916_174659_775.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 63
so theoretically mewing should technically help a bit by inducing growth in the maxilla?

I guess if you're prodding the correct part of the palate with the tip of your tongue. The FAGGA device has an acrylic plate which exerts a light pressure on some special nerve at the front of the palate, and they encourage you to tap it repeatedly with your tongue also. So maybe mewing exerts the same effect, however the FAGGA device is designed to grow you a lot faster. Some people get 1mm per month.
intresting. i have this notch but people always said it looks good

I think everyone has it but the degree to which your jaw is notched is the degree to which you have downward growth, or so I understand from the link.

Kurt Cobain had it too but still had near ideal facial development so it’s not really a good indicator of a downswung face although for sure the greater the angle the more downward growth
31F452E3 E9FF 4E3F 8DD5 12CDA8422912

Kurt Cobain had it too but still had near ideal facial development so it’s not really a good indicator of a downswung face although for sure the greater the angle the more downward growth
View attachment 6514

I think what you're seeing in that photo is a "notch" created by the angle between his masseter and the jaw bone rather than a notch in the bone itself, although I could be wrong. Also again: everyone has the notch, it's the size of it which determines downward growth. I'm guessing that the notch itself is an artifact of the bone growing downwards to some degree, and everyone has some downward growth.