Low sodium, but also low potassium having the ability to cause bloat

chadintraining

chadintraining

Equinox
Would a sodium : potassium ratio of something like 1:1 (or even less potassium) be able to bloat someone’s face, even if they are only eating 500-1000mg of sodium?

Nobody attractive ever thinks about ratios of bullshit like this for 1 second of their life

• +1
Reactions: shalomnigga, Birdcell, becomingnearperfect and 4 others
Would a sodium : potassium ratio of something like 1:1 (or even less potassium) be able to bloat someone’s face, even if they are only eating 500-1000mg of sodium?
bloating isnt real

• JFL
Reactions: RealFunkyFlamingo and chadintraining
  • JFL
Reactions: SoundnVision
bloating isnt real
It is from my experience

However, most people either don’t have enough bone or have too much bone to see any changes

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: IanIachimoe2491 and SoundnVision
It is from my experience

However, most people either don’t have enough bone or have too much bone to see any changes
I am right in that middle bit

After just cardio, I notice I have hollow cheeks

However, when I am bloated, I don’t

there is very little bloat that's caused by sodium
In fact you shouldn't care that much about pottassium to sodium ratio

The bloat is probably from having cheek fat pads storing water and small masseters combination making a smooth appearance.
even if you are skinny, you still probably have some fat in your cheeks.
starving for 40 hours as a 62 kg at 186cm of height helped me debloat immensely

It is still useful to keep salt low and eating bananas and potatoes, but just keep in mind that it's probably not the problem. The problem is always going to be fat and subsequently water stored in it

So the method is starving and drinking little water.
If there is no fat there is no water to be retained
If there is no water there is no water to be retained

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 45760
It is from my experience

when i bloat i look 10 kilograms fatter its literally real

• +1
Reactions: chadintraining
low sodium= aldosterone (anti-diuretic hormone) released—> sodium reabsorbed—> potassium excreted

It is notoriously hard to find an answer to this from reliable sources. The most common ratios I have seen thrown around on the internet range from anything from 2:1(potassium:sodium) to 4:1. I have even seen some claim between 4:1-8:1.

What I do know is that you probably will have a hard time to consume too much potassium. There is evidence that humans evolved to consume over 10 000 mg of potassium per day (there is some evidence that it usually was around 15 000 per day!). And some scientists/doctors claim we really evolved to handle no more than 750 mg of sodium per day. I don't know if the sodium figure is correct, but it probably was way lower than what modern humans consume. So whatever the ideal ratio is, it is probably much higher than what is generally recommended.

Also, considering that 18 000 mg of potassium from supplements have been deemed the upper tolerable limit (no such limit exists for potassium consumed from foods), it seems sensible to me to just focus on getting as much potassium as possible from ones diet, and maybe considering supplementing with some extra.

A good bet for minimum water retention would be anything from 2:1 up to 6:1. Avoid an equal ratio or sodium-heavy ratio.