Mask Coming Off Now

Zesto

Zesto

ベルセルク
Sig2

The Hannya mask represents jealous female demon, serpent and sometimes dragon in noh and kyōgen Japanese traditional theater plays and Shinto Kagura ritual dances. The mask has a learing mouth, sharp teeth, metallic eyes (because it is not human) and two sharp devil-like horns. The first saved Hanna mask is from 1558. Hannya mask is one of the most recognizable masks in Noh plays.

This mask represents female rage and pain, and it is used when a particular character needs to be invoked. These two emotions are difficult to capture at the same time. It represents female obsessed with a devil or taking a devil form of being. The expression of Hannya mask is at the same time demonic, angry, frightening, dangerous and tormented, sad, heartbreaking, melancholic and sorrowful. She begins as normal female, but when she is betrayed, get angry and jealous she turns into a demon.

When the mask is held straight ahead, it looks angry. When the mask is held a little down it looks sad.
It's carved from a single piece of wood and often finished with very dark colored paint. It can be made for display or to wear it for performance. The mask is white if representing aristocratic status, red if representing low class and dark if representing demon. There are tree masks expressing the change in female emotions. The first mask expresses the jealousy, the second mask expresses a half way to the complete insanity, and the third mask is the saddest and expresses a female gone completely insane and converted into a demon.

In Japanese language hannya means wisdom. Some stories say that the mask got its name by monk artist Hannya, who perfected this mask and that he needed a great wisdom to make this mask. The perfection of transcendent wisdom is the perfect way of seeing the nature of reality so that you can protect yourself from the female demon.
Sometimes these masks are made to look happy from one angle and sad from another angle. It is also a Japan symbol of a good luck and it wards off the evil. Hannya Mask is popular tattoo motif.

No need anymore.

King crab took off mask.

Crab daddies took off mask.

I take off mine too.

Japanese Hannya -> Western deceit

Now you learn about Hannya, no longer need mine. Kept for long time on at old place. Good for decoration now.

View attachment 5122

No need anymore.

King crab took off mask.

Crab daddies took off mask.

I take off mine too.

Japanese Hannya -> Western deceit

Now you learn about Hannya, no longer need mine. Kept for long time on at old place. Good for decoration now.
Classic Japanese horror movie

• +1
Reactions: Zesto
  • +1
Reactions: Mewcel