Retin-A Causes Loss of Subcutaneous Fat

PapiMew

PapiMew

Mod
Time online
194d 4m
Edit: It seems like a got abundance of questions on why this is bad. First, I recommend you at least try to read most of the thread. If you can't, refer to my [Note:] at the very bottom.

Now why this is bad you ask? It depends on how you look at it but facial fat is key in creating facial fullness alongside collagen. If you want more insight look up the results of subcutaneous fat loss over a span of time.

Also, why this might be good? Let’s say you are predisposed to this side effect. You could indefinitely use it as spot reduction.

TLDR: Transretinoic acid impairs the PPAR-gamma transcription factors that control lipogenesis. The bulk of those who experience this effect are relatively young and thus have not dealt with the UV-induced fat loss common in older people, so that is likely why the fat loss is more pronounced and noticeable.

Background: Saturday night I mentioned to a couple of users about how I when I tried Retin-A for a couple of months earlier in the year I got acne scars for the first time. Another user told me they shared the same experience. However, they also mentioned they heard that Tretinoin may cause fat loss, so they were using it very scarcely if any at all. I indefinitely assumed it was an external factor (Diet, Lifestyle) and Retin-A couldn't have possibly been the root of the problem. This was news to me as I never had heard such a claim.

That led me to decide to Google --> Retin-A Fat Loss and well that led me down a rabbit hole that I will share…

The first thread I opened was this: https://www.realself.com/question/atlanta-la-retin-a-cause-fat-loss-please-answer

Summary: A user on Realself complained about fat loss around the cheeks after only a few weeks of 0.05% usage. OP claimed she hadn’t changed anything relating to diet or lifestyle. The only external factor that had been changed was the addition of tretinoin.

Dr. Morgan replied claiming she does notice a sudden loss of buccal fat, which is unusual. She refers to multiple laboratory studies on mice that show that vitamin A can lead to loss of fat or loss of different kinds of fat. Furthermore, she does claim that there have yet to be any studies conducted that claim Retin-A caused fat loss in humans.

The very next thread pertained more to me. A user claiming they had experienced acne scars.
I then decided to look into some studies, I needed some scientific research backing these anecdotal claims.

Studies claiming that retinoic acid directly impairs the process of adipogenesis by inhibiting adipocyte differentiation in several ways both in Vivo (When research or work is done with or within an entire, living organism) and Vitro (Work that's performed outside of a living organism):

To summarize the studies are claiming retinoids do indeed inhibit fat production in some shape or form.
User on reddit summarized this very well:
https ://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/8rn11p/anti_aging_how_to_fix_deplated_looking_face/e18sr1h/

A study claiming that Vitamin A ingested orally can affect fat adiposity in mice:
Vitamin A is a regulator of adipose growth.Tretinoin (Retin-A) is a derivative of Vitamin A. High doses of Vitamin A can cause a significant reduction in adipose index, and a significant reduction in white adipose (Fat).

Why has there been no clinical trials in which participants noted a loss in facial fat?
  • Most literature on retinoids has been performed with middle-aged females as subjects.
  • Perhaps a loss in subcutaneous fat would not be noted in these cases because most of the facial fat of people in this age group has already been nuked by chronic UVA ray exposure.
  • Also, there has been no long-term research following people who have used retinoids for 20+ years.
Note: I genuinely think that there might be some sort of genetic component that puts certain people at more of a risk. I don't think that drastic fat loss will occur in the majority of people who use retinoids, and may very well not apply to your skin type and I think it is also very possible that the effects of retinoids are not as well understood as many would like to believe.

Last edited:
S

skinmaxxer

Trainee
Time online
5d 10h 38m
did some more research and seems like this may be legit. stopping tret here

PapiMew

PapiMew

Mod
Time online
194d 4m
Cope said:
I have an over abundance of subcutaneous fat in my cheek area so I see this as an absolute win.

Absolutely, this can definitely be looked at in two ways. You can think of this as a positive or a negative. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you lost fat in an area where you don't want to lose fat aka the fat pads around your eyes.

Last edited:
PenileFacialSurgery

PenileFacialSurgery

Time online
82d 22h 8m
Great how ever will I fucking get collagen smh

• +1
Reactions: ali
S

skinmaxxer

Trainee
Time online
5d 10h 38m
PenileFacialSurgery said:
yea no idea here either. i think i may try out 10% glycolic acid. besides that, probably best to sleepmaxx, exercisemaxx, and cut out stress

balding17yomanletcel

balding17yomanletcel

Abused Dog
Time online
135d 6h 45m
B @benignice kinda feel weird rn
Help bro

elfmaxx

elfmaxx

Zephir
Time online
94d 20h 32m
Okay then, I'm gonna stop putting it under my eyes tbh.

elfmaxx

elfmaxx

Zephir
Time online
94d 20h 32m
PapiMew said:
Absolutely, this can definitely be looked at in two ways. You can think of this as a positive or a negative. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you lost fat in an area where you don't want to lose fat aka the fat pads around your eyes.
Oh well
If you fuck your eye area up you can always get fillers, but the ain't a procedure in existence that can restore your decoupled collagen fibres.

PapiMew

PapiMew

Mod
Time online
194d 4m
Moggy said:
Haven't looked at the study, but let's assume it is legit. The benefits of retin-a still vastly outweigh any potential negatives.

It depends on how you look at it but facial fat is key in creating facial fullness alongside collagen. If you want more insight look up the results of subcutaneous fat loss over a span of time.

PenileFacialSurgery said:

Retinoids aren't the only anti-aging product. Red Light Therapy, Vitamin C, and Dermaneedling are a couple of the many products you can use. Also, you must read the thread fully next time. As I stated this doesn't pertain to 100% of people who will apply Retin-A in there lifetime from my knowledge.

turkproducer said:
can u let me know if it works for you?

OP how long does it take to see changes

I am not 100% sure if I personally experienced this with while on Retin-A for the couple months I used it. However, people who did experience subcutaneous fat loss experienced it within a couple of weeks. Which is unfortunate because by the chance you notice the fat is already gone.

FacialAesthetics said:
I've been using this for years, and it never has gotten my cheeks to lose fat. I only got hollow cheeks through surgery. Jfl at this bs.

Jesus Christ, you didn't even read the thread, did you?
skinmaxxer said:
did some more research and seems like this may be legit. stopping tret here

Note: I genuinely think that there might be some sort of genetic component that puts certain people at more of a risk. I don't think that drastic fat loss will occur in the majority of people who use retinoids, and may very well not apply to your skin type and I think it is also very possible that the effects of retinoids are not as well understood as many would like to believe.

Last edited:
aftershock

aftershock

It is what it is
Time online
35d 22h 33m
Damn I was just about to order and use under eyes

Users here said it worked well for them

PapiMew

PapiMew

Mod
Time online
194d 4m
elfmaxx said:
This is bad how?

It depends on how you look at it but facial fat is key in creating facial fullness alongside collagen. If you want more insight look up the results of subcutaneous fat loss over a span of time.

J

Joodz

Adept
Time online
2d 55m
Do you know if Differin has a similar sort of effect. I might start only using Retin A on my cheeks instead of my whole face including under the eyes. Might use differin on my forehead, if it doesn’t have this subq fat loss.
Great write up, this is awesome.

B

Baller1

Adept
Time online
13d 13h 2m
Does this apply to retinol eye cream too?

H

her

Mod
Time online
191d 16h 7m
Baller1 said:
Does this apply to retinol eye cream too?
This applies to everything containing retinoic acid.

C

CopingForLife

Adept
Time online
7d 1h 22m
Could this be the reason why it burns so much when you start using it, because it's actually burning the fat pads... Now I'm scared of keep using it tbh ngl Istg.

elfmaxx

elfmaxx

Zephir
Time online
94d 20h 32m
PapiMew said:

Ah that's why I've been getting more handsome & dimorphic as I age, my cherubic cheeks have been melting away.

Making me think twice about having my buccal fat pads reduced.

D

Deleted member 1849

heightmaxxer
Time online
54d 4h 36m
Yes. You know whats weird. Ever since I have been using tret my face looks slimmer despite not losing fat....

PapiMew

PapiMew

Mod
Time online
194d 4m
Bewusst said:
First decent thread I've seen here in months

This place is a ghost town 💀

S

skinmaxxer

Trainee
Time online
5d 10h 38m
do you think 10% glycolic acid would be a good alternative too?

PapiMew

PapiMew

Mod
Time online
194d 4m
Collagen or rope said:
So now you're saying Retin A will give me hollow cheeks + collagen?

FUCKING AMAZING

Yes, you could definitely use this as a spot reduction. I would stay far away from the eyes. I was looking at before and after picture and noticed UEE in the after.
Joodz said:
Do you know if Differin has a similar sort of effect. I might start only using Retin A on my cheeks instead of my whole face including under the eyes. Might use differin on my forehead, if it doesn’t have this subq fat loss.
Great write up, this is awesome.

Was wondering the same thing

Collagen or rope

Collagen or rope

r/Sino
Time online
99d 14h 21m
PapiMew said:
Yes, you could definitely use this as a spot reduction. I would stay far away from the eyes. I was looking at before and after picture and noticed UEE in the after.

Was wondering the same thing
Noted.

In any case, I would argue that the anti-aging effects of proper, long term tret use (10+years with adequate SPF) significantly outweighs the loss of any S fat that might occur... Those 60 y/o women on YT looking 45 is proof of that.

High iq thread regardless.

PapiMew

PapiMew

Mod
Time online
194d 4m
Collagen or rope said:
Noted.

In any case, I would argue that the anti-aging effects of proper, long term tret use (10+years with adequate SPF) significantly outweighs the loss of any S fat that might occur... Those 60 y/o women on YT looking 45 is proof of that.

High iq thread regardless.

I see, I made this thread specifically for youngcels. Because if we follow what the evidence shows we are more predisposed to this side effect. Most of the women who decide to use tret are middle age and have already lost most of their S fat from UVA exposure.

eduardkoopman

eduardkoopman

Zephir
Time online
260d 11h 49m
* Does it also say. How "dosage"/ amount of used tretinoin has influence on this side effect?

What are solutions, besidefat injections by surgeon?

Is this concept cope or legto?
1. building bigger muscles in face with excercise, to compensate?

2. DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol) ??
Quote: "DMAE helps reduce sagging and tightens the skin. The fat cells swell and form a pad out of shape, passing the skin thickens and wrinkles mitigandose."?

"DMAE treated aging skin, resulting in cellular swelling and increased collagen fiber density."

I know that fat cells don't really get less. They just shrink, right, with age?

Last edited:
Vespertide

Vespertide

Antagonist
Time online
122d 14h 58m
PapiMew said:
Edit: It seems like a got abundance of questions on why this is bad. First, I recommend you at least try to read most of the thread. If you can't, refer to my [Note:] at the very bottom.

Now why this is bad you ask? It depends on how you look at it but facial fat is key in creating facial fullness alongside collagen. If you want more insight look up the results of subcutaneous fat loss over a span of time.

Also, why this might be good? Let’s say you are predisposed to this side effect. You could indefinitely use it as spot reduction.

TLDR: Transretinoic acid impairs the PPAR-gamma transcription factors that control lipogenesis. The bulk of those who experience this effect are relatively young and thus have not dealt with the UV-induced fat loss common in older people, so that is likely why the fat loss is more pronounced and noticeable.

Background: Saturday night I mentioned to a couple of users about how I when I tried Retin-A for a couple of months earlier in the year I got acne scars for the first time. Another user told me they shared the same experience. However, they also mentioned they heard that Tretinoin may cause fat loss, so they were using it very scarcely if any at all. I indefinitely assumed it was an external factor (Diet, Lifestyle) and Retin-A couldn't have possibly been the root of the problem. This was news to me as I never had heard such a claim.

That led me to decide to Google --> Retin-A Fat Loss and well that led me down a rabbit hole that I will share…

The first thread I opened was this: https://www.realself.com/question/atlanta-la-retin-a-cause-fat-loss-please-answer

Summary: A user on Realself complained about fat loss around the cheeks after only a few weeks of 0.05% usage. OP claimed she hadn’t changed anything relating to diet or lifestyle. The only external factor that had been changed was the addition of tretinoin.

Dr. Morgan replied claiming she does notice a sudden loss of buccal fat, which is unusual. She refers to multiple laboratory studies on mice that show that vitamin A can lead to loss of fat or loss of different kinds of fat. Furthermore, she does claim that there have yet to be any studies conducted that claim Retin-A caused fat loss in humans.

The very next thread pertained more to me. A user claiming they had experienced acne scars.
I then decided to look into some studies, I needed some scientific research backing these anecdotal claims.

Studies claiming that retinoic acid directly impairs the process of adipogenesis by inhibiting adipocyte differentiation in several ways both in Vivo (When research or work is done with or within an entire, living organism) and Vitro (Work that's performed outside of a living organism):

To summarize the studies are claiming retinoids do indeed inhibit fat production in some shape or form.
User on reddit summarized this very well:
https ://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/8rn11p/anti_aging_how_to_fix_deplated_looking_face/e18sr1h/

A study claiming that Vitamin A ingested orally can affect fat adiposity in mice:
Vitamin A is a regulator of adipose growth.Tretinoin (Retin-A) is a derivative of Vitamin A. High doses of Vitamin A can cause a significant reduction in adipose index, and a significant reduction in white adipose (Fat).

Why has there been no clinical trials in which participants noted a loss in facial fat?
  • Most literature on retinoids has been performed with middle-aged females as subjects.
  • Perhaps a loss in subcutaneous fat would not be noted in these cases because most of the facial fat of people in this age group has already been nuked by chronic UVA ray exposure.
  • Also, there has been no long-term research following people who have used retinoids for 20+ years.

I've warned about this for months.

In my thread extolling the superiority of low-dose Accutane to Retin-A, I noted the link between p53 expression and subcutaneous fat loss.

No one listened because just about everyone on this forum is alarmingly ready and willing to fellate that sanctimonious faggot benignice.

D

Deleted member 1632

Arcanologist
Time online
79d 23h 8m
Darkwill said:

In my thread extolling the superiority of low-dose Accutane to Retin-A, I noted the link between p53 expression and subcutaneous fat loss.

No one listened because just about everyone on this forum is alarmingly ready and willing to fellate that sanctimonious faggot benignice.
What is low dosage accutane for you ?
You can't use low dosage accutane for the life bro.It's like few months...
Fuckkk we should restor the under eye area fat

Last edited:
Deleted member 4410

Deleted member 4410

5eryhgtf54wersujh4
Time online
25d 15h 44m
That could explain why after a year of using it I can see slight hollowing in my cheeks even if I'm 20%+ bf.
Shame I have 0 fat undereyes so it's whatever LOL. Ugly anyways.

PapiMew

PapiMew

Mod
Time online
194d 4m
Darkwill said:

Can you link that thread?

Deleted member 1707

Deleted member 1707

Latincel
Time online
37d 12h 30m
B @benignice

Cares

Cares

Legend
Time online
44d 10h 19m
I use it everyday and will until the day I die. It’s a miracle cream and one of the best anti-aging creams on the market. Every one ages differently so I wouldn’t stress about it theoretically doing this to some people because I recon they would be predisposed to this fat loss regardless of usage at one point or another.

Fuk

Fuk

The Tribe 😳
Time online
42d 21h 24m
if ur one of the people whos fat pads get fucked from retin A to the degree where the detriment outweighs the benefit(probably a very rare chance) then u can just stop using it before it gets worse and cope with other collagen increasing methods. Its not like the minor damage is permanent. Just eat a burger theory.

PapiMew @PapiMew that image ur showing is also the effects of gravity changing(due to aging) the placement of the fat pads, not merely fat pad loss.

Everyone should try Retin A if you have poor skin/collagen.

Nosecel

Nosecel

Destroyer of bluepill/redpill
Time online
81d 3h 34m
Can you guys link me some user's retin a experience? Obviously on this forum, I don't care about the rest.

Fuk

Fuk

The Tribe 😳
Time online
42d 21h 24m
PapiMew said:

(((aging related)))
The fat pads are sinking in these, not just decreasing.
and the bones changed and the muscles too.

Retin A isnt going to age you 20 years. It can actually do the opposite:

^shes 62 years of age and looks 42, max.

this bitch is fucking 70:

Users who are viewing this thread