Retin-A Causes Loss of Subcutaneous Fat

DrunkenSailor

DrunkenSailor

Zephir
Time online
23d 10h 18m
janoycresva said:
Acutally made a thread a year ago about me being like 230lbs yet having almost no fat around my face. I used retin-a for years growing up to keep my acne under control. I think this is legit, I have very bad fat loss.
Can you post the link of the thread itt pls?

RAITEIII

RAITEIII

Ruleth 1
Time online
211d 22h 8m
TubOfLard said:
Surely it wouldve been a looksmax if it removed fat from your face, no?
To a certain extent.

Now I truly don't know what to believe :feelswhy: because I'm seeing less undereye support and when I touch my face i feel less subcutaneous fat too, but that's fat that I do not need to lose jfl.

I'll put it on my abs everyday that will tell me the reality.
janoycresva said:
Acutally made a thread a year ago about me being like 230lbs yet having almost no fat around my face. I used retin-a for years growing up to keep my acne under control. I think this is legit, I have very bad fat loss.
How tall?

Maybe if I'm in calorie surplus there are less downsides...?

What was ur face like before and after starting?

janoycresva

janoycresva

Banned
Time online
21d 22h 36m
DrunkenSailor said:
Can you post the link of the thread itt pls?
can't find the link, sorry buddy boyo. i'm not sure if it was on .co or here.
RAITEIII said:
To a certain extent.

Now I truly don't know what to believe :feelswhy: because I'm seeing less undereye support and when I touch my face i feel less subcutaneous fat too, but that's fat that I do not need to lose jfl.

I'll put it on my abs everyday that will tell me the reality.

How tall?

Maybe if I'm in calorie surplus there are less downsides...?

What was ur face like before and after starting?
6'0, it's hard to remember my face before starting. i do believe I had a very plump child like face tho, good collagen. i really overused it though.

Last edited:
RAITEIII

RAITEIII

Ruleth 1
Time online
211d 22h 8m
I don't want to, but as of today I'm quiting retin a. I can clearly see a loss of undereye fat. Maybe it's not that and just weight related but i don't wanna risk tbh...

DrOtaku

DrOtaku

Mage
Time online
12d 2h 37m
rawdogprince said:
i didnt read. You need to post pics of why this is bad. also can't u just junkfood max your fat back?
Yeah, My orbitals lost all of there fat when I was only eating one meal a day and came back once I started eating more.
RAITEIII said:
I don't want to, but as of today I'm quiting retin a. I can clearly see a loss of undereye fat. Maybe it's not that and just weight related but i don't wanna risk tbh...
rather than quit you should try Icing your eye area. I did that with eating more and plumped up fast

RAITEIII

RAITEIII

Ruleth 1
Time online
211d 22h 8m
DrOtaku said:
Yeah, My orbitals lost all of there fat when I was only eating one meal a day and came back once I started eating more.

rather than quit you should try Icing your eye area. I did that with eating more and plumped up fast
Why do u speculate that icing your eye area has benefits when there are studies indicating that applying cold kills fat cels?

DrOtaku

DrOtaku

Mage
Time online
12d 2h 37m
RAITEIII said:
Why do u speculate that icing your eye area has benefits when there are studies indicating that applying cold kills fat cels?
I noticed more fat around the eyes and less around the cheeks personally. Almost as if the fat moves to the organs.

G

glowup

Banned
Time online
2d 4h 53m
RAITEIII said:
DrOtaku said:
I noticed more fat around the eyes and less around the cheeks personally. Almost as if the fat moves to the organs.
The puffiness under the eye might help by applying ice, it won't do anything for fat cells (as far as I'm aware). You might just have a lot of fluid retention in that area, does not sound like fat.

J

jackthenerd

Zephir
Time online
67d 3h 14m
Haven't been following these threads too much lately, so what is teh general current take on retin A? Is it something you should start with as soon as possible no matter what?

RAITEIII

RAITEIII

Ruleth 1
Time online
211d 22h 8m
DrOtaku said:
Idk what to believe lol. All your body is composed by organs, I don't see a reason for cels to respond different and have a complete opposite effect...

DrunkenSailor

DrunkenSailor

Zephir
Time online
23d 10h 18m
jackthenerd said:
Haven't been following these threads too much lately, so what is teh general current take on retin A? Is it something you should start with as soon as possible no matter what?
I started Retin-A after I read this thread.

RAITEIII

RAITEIII

Ruleth 1
Time online
211d 22h 8m
jackthenerd said:
More doubts than ever for me lol.

Just checked back on the mirror and yes I'm quiting till gaining some fat back lol I can't look at those sunken eyes jfl

RAITEIII

RAITEIII

Ruleth 1
Time online
211d 22h 8m
I'm just coming to report that retin a melted away fat under my eyes. I really wouldn't recommend using it there jfl.

Most people are landwhalemaxxed that's why they never notice jfl

EverythingMattersCel

EverythingMattersCel

The chinpill destroyed me...
Time online
115d 10h 22m
RAITEIII said:
I'm just coming to report that retin a melted away fat under my eyes. I really wouldn't recommend using it there jfl.

By under eyes you mean just above the cheekbone right under the eye or also the upper part of the cheek?

RAITEIII

RAITEIII

Ruleth 1
Time online
211d 22h 8m
EverythingMattersCel said:
By under eyes you mean just above the cheekbone right under the eye or also the upper part of the cheek?
Sorry i didn't notice the thread. I noticed everything thinner but my undereye is what hurt me lol

Deleted member 3635

Deleted member 3635

Zephir
Time online
49d 1h 4m
Lev Peshkov

Lev Peshkov

High T
Time online
72d 12h 11m
So is this cope or not JFL

RAITEIII

RAITEIII

Ruleth 1
Time online
211d 22h 8m
Lev Peshkov said:
So is this cope or not JFL
I don't think so. My eye area is over level tbh

Lev Peshkov

Lev Peshkov

High T
Time online
72d 12h 11m
RAITEIII said:
I don't think so. My eye area is over level tbh
Rip, would fat grafts save you?

Lev Peshkov

Lev Peshkov

High T
Time online
72d 12h 11m
RAITEIII said:
Idk bro. I'm junk maxxing u. U
JFL so it's a prank. Dude my English is so bad

RAITEIII

RAITEIII

Ruleth 1
Time online
211d 22h 8m
Lev Peshkov said:
JFL so it's a prank. Dude my English is so bad
What's a prank, sorry? My English also kinda sucks btw

Lev Peshkov

Lev Peshkov

High T
Time online
72d 12h 11m
Lol does it affect fat or where u joking?
RAITEIII said:
What's a prank, sorry? My English also kinda sucks btw

Chintuck22

Chintuck22

Plushy Yoshi 🐸
Time online
148d 1h 55m
RAITEIII

RAITEIII

Ruleth 1
Time online
211d 22h 8m
Lev Peshkov said:
Lol does it affect fat or where u joking?
Not joking, i personally experienced rapid worsening.

Lev Peshkov

Lev Peshkov

High T
Time online
72d 12h 11m
Fuck man that sucks
RAITEIII said:

Lev Peshkov

Lev Peshkov

High T
Time online
72d 12h 11m
RAITEIII said:
Everyday it's even more over than before
Motivation to surgery max tho tbh

DrunkenSailor

DrunkenSailor

Zephir
Time online
23d 10h 18m
RAITEIII said:
Cope

Rush

Rush

🗡️🩸
Time online
47d 21h 36m
I am gonna start Retin-A just for this then lmao

FailedAbortion

FailedAbortion

Apprentice
Time online
4d 21h 5m
where to get retin a?

Deleted member 6217

Deleted member 6217

It's like an angel came by and took me to heaven
Time online
211d 22h 23m
PapiMew @PapiMew so aslong as i dont use it around the eyes i shoul be good right?

anti caking agents

anti caking agents

rotting
Time online
10d 10h 12m
razerftw said:
I am 30 years old, people here rated me around 5.5 PSL. Last girl I banged 2 days ago 17y old:
This is how I look now, have some hairloss (started Minoxidil recently)
Height?

elfmaxx

elfmaxx

Zephir
Time online
94d 20h 32m
RAITEIII said:

Post before and after or shut the fuck up dude.

D

Deleted member 2205

1/1000000
Time online
125d 7h 36m
This was mentioned previously in this thread but let me go into more depth.

Retin-A and other things derived from Vitamin A have been shown to lower white adipose (bad fat!). But this is only prevalent in systematic effects of tretinoin. Although oral intake has both systematic and topical effects (works similarly to accutane or Isotretinoin), tropical tretinoin does not have systemic effects at all and is purely cosmic. Topically, tretinoin causes cells on the skins surface to produce more collagen which allows for the structure of the skin on the face to be more sturdy which is the exact opposite, so topical effects are desirable and are present in both forms. Unfortunately not enough research has been done to completely confirm this. Also think of it like this. Wrinkles are difficult to erase, but fat pads can easily be replaced with fat transfer or fillers. I would rather have perfect skin with shit pads than damaged skin with good fat pads.

TLDR: Loss of subcutaneous fat only applies to oral tretinoin. Topical effects are good and is present in both oral and tropically applied forms. Systematic effects may be harmful but are only exist in oral tretinoin. But even then the fat it burns is bad fat.

Last edited:
JeremyMeeks

JeremyMeeks

Apprentice
Time online
20d 14h 42m
elfmaxx said:
Post before and after or shut the fuck up dude.

Experienced same thing - retin-a doesn't do shit for under eyes + eyelids so don't put it near there at all

eduardkoopman

eduardkoopman

Zephir
Time online
259d 3h 44m
Stare said:
Good
I am gonna start using that too, just waiting for the quarantine to end.
Update.
More then 1 month in using that stuff.
It helped lessen dark circles significantly. But it's not a magical difference.
It did :
* Add a bit of volume
* Caused tightening of the skin there
* Colorating of skin changed a bit, maybe due to it promotes skin thickness growth a bit.

All 3 above things caused some change.
I went from visible dark circles. To dark circles visible Lite

Stare

Stare

ㅤㅤ ‏‏‎
Time online
171d 7h 28m
eduardkoopman said:
Update.
It did :
* Add a bit of volume
* Colorating of skin changed a bit, maybe due to it promotes skin thickness growth a bit.

Thank you for reporting back.
So, it works but isn't a holygrail. People shouldn't expect getting Chico's eye area while on it.

EverythingMattersCel

EverythingMattersCel

The chinpill destroyed me...
Time online
115d 10h 22m
I'm still breaking out around the chin from the stuff. Purge has been ongoing for 5 weeks now. I have put 0.025% around the chin, jaw and upper lip, 0.05% everywhere else.

Seth Walsh

Seth Walsh

Zephir
Time online
77d 1h 5m
EverythingMattersCel said:
I'm still breaking out around the chin from the stuff. Purge has been ongoing for 5 weeks now. I have put 0.025% around the chin, jaw and upper lip, 0.05% everywhere else.
Keep going.

eduardkoopman

eduardkoopman

Zephir
Time online
259d 3h 44m
Stare said:
Thank you for reporting back.
So, it works but isn't a holygrail. People shouldn't expect getting Chico's eye area while on it.
truth.
My imporvement was/is kinda like this picture, actually my improvement is alittle bit better, like maybe 1 teint less dark "circles".
less dark circles (I had limited/no wrinkles already there anyways, so that didn't need fixing). BUT not totally gone, at all either.
Worth the 60 euro's (for ONLY 15 ml)?? depends on your budget/income. But you can improve a little bit

Last edited:
JeremyMeeks

JeremyMeeks

Apprentice
Time online
20d 14h 42m
PapiMew said:
Edit: It seems like a got abundance of questions on why this is bad. First, I recommend you at least try to read most of the thread. If you can't, refer to my [Note:] at the very bottom.

Now why this is bad you ask? It depends on how you look at it but facial fat is key in creating facial fullness alongside collagen. If you want more insight look up the results of subcutaneous fat loss over a span of time.

Also, why this might be good? Let’s say you are predisposed to this side effect. You could indefinitely use it as spot reduction.

TLDR: Transretinoic acid impairs the PPAR-gamma transcription factors that control lipogenesis. The bulk of those who experience this effect are relatively young and thus have not dealt with the UV-induced fat loss common in older people, so that is likely why the fat loss is more pronounced and noticeable.

Background: Saturday night I mentioned to a couple of users about how I when I tried Retin-A for a couple of months earlier in the year I got acne scars for the first time. Another user told me they shared the same experience. However, they also mentioned they heard that Tretinoin may cause fat loss, so they were using it very scarcely if any at all. I indefinitely assumed it was an external factor (Diet, Lifestyle) and Retin-A couldn't have possibly been the root of the problem. This was news to me as I never had heard such a claim.

That led me to decide to Google --> Retin-A Fat Loss and well that led me down a rabbit hole that I will share…

The first thread I opened was this: https://www.realself.com/question/atlanta-la-retin-a-cause-fat-loss-please-answer

Summary: A user on Realself complained about fat loss around the cheeks after only a few weeks of 0.05% usage. OP claimed she hadn’t changed anything relating to diet or lifestyle. The only external factor that had been changed was the addition of tretinoin.

Dr. Morgan replied claiming she does notice a sudden loss of buccal fat, which is unusual. She refers to multiple laboratory studies on mice that show that vitamin A can lead to loss of fat or loss of different kinds of fat. Furthermore, she does claim that there have yet to be any studies conducted that claim Retin-A caused fat loss in humans.

The very next thread pertained more to me. A user claiming they had experienced acne scars.
I then decided to look into some studies, I needed some scientific research backing these anecdotal claims.

Studies claiming that retinoic acid directly impairs the process of adipogenesis by inhibiting adipocyte differentiation in several ways both in Vivo (When research or work is done with or within an entire, living organism) and Vitro (Work that's performed outside of a living organism):

To summarize the studies are claiming retinoids do indeed inhibit fat production in some shape or form.
User on reddit summarized this very well:
https ://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/8rn11p/anti_aging_how_to_fix_deplated_looking_face/e18sr1h/

A study claiming that Vitamin A ingested orally can affect fat adiposity in mice:
Vitamin A is a regulator of adipose growth.Tretinoin (Retin-A) is a derivative of Vitamin A. High doses of Vitamin A can cause a significant reduction in adipose index, and a significant reduction in white adipose (Fat).

Why has there been no clinical trials in which participants noted a loss in facial fat?
  • Most literature on retinoids has been performed with middle-aged females as subjects.
  • Perhaps a loss in subcutaneous fat would not be noted in these cases because most of the facial fat of people in this age group has already been nuked by chronic UVA ray exposure.
  • Also, there has been no long-term research following people who have used retinoids for 20+ years.
Note: I genuinely think that there might be some sort of genetic component that puts certain people at more of a risk. I don't think that drastic fat loss will occur in the majority of people who use retinoids, and may very well not apply to your skin type and I think it is also very possible that the effects of retinoids are not as well understood as many would like to believe.

Do you think how much retin-a is applied can affect this.

Personally (I know many other people do this) - I use about 2-3 pea-sized amounts for my face and neck. Do you think just using a pea size amount (maybe a bit less) and not applying it anywhere near to the under-eye area (tear troughs or eye-cheek area) can prevent the loss of volume or at least reduce it.

I have experienced fat loss like you mentioned.

TITUS

TITUS

Zephir
Time online
44d 20h 44m
eduardkoopman said:
Update.
It did :
* Add a bit of volume

How long does that flask last? Is there any cheaper alternative?

eduardkoopman

eduardkoopman

Zephir
Time online
259d 3h 44m
TITUS said:
How long does that flask last? Is there any cheaper alternative?
how long it's gonna last? I guestimate 3 months max.

So I think the main ingredients in that product are DMAE
and Hyalronic acid.

Now hylaroinc acid I could by for cheap I know. https://www.douglas.nl/productbrand_015497.html

But the DMAE. I dunno yet where I could buy that?

if these 2 things/ingredients do the trick. Then one could just buy DMAE and Hyalronic acid, and apply then both to the eye erea. Thyat would be alo cheaper.
but i'm not sure if these 2 main ingredients in that product from Pericore do all the work, or some of the other ones do alot as well.

You could try out.

GigaMogger

GigaMogger

egoy fan acc
Time online
18d 12h 5m

Applying tretinoin every night thickens collagen and necessitates daily spf50 usage which combats the UV related fat loss which is more powerful than whatever fat loss tretinoin causes (pic unrelated)

Deleted member 9391

Deleted member 9391

Adept
lifefuel i have disproportionaly fat cheeks retin a is literally godsent to me

Users who are viewing this thread