Vitamin k2 (mk7 and mk4) and hair loss

FrenchChad

FrenchChad

Ascend or Rope
I will explain here why vitamin k2 can cause hair loss, it won't affect everyone but if you are prone to MBP vitamin k2 supplementation could act as a catalyst.

Prostaglandins are hormones-like compound, prostaglandin E2 and prostaglandin D2 play a huge role in hair health.
Basically PGE2 promotes hair growth, PGD2 inhibits hair growth and this is for this exact reason why minoxidil or peppermint oil works : they increase PGE2, bald people have higher level of PGD2 and it contributes by a lot to hair loss.
Inhibiting PGE2 can thus lead to hair loss by pushing the balance PGD2-PGE2 in the direction of the PGD2.

And here we come :
Vitamin k2, both mk7 and mk4 inhibits PGE2, PGE2 is involved in bone resorption and k2 promote bone growth among other methods by inhibiting osteoclasts and preventing bone resorption.
>Other studies have shown that vitamin K2 inhibits the synthesis of prostaglandin E2 (PGE-2) which acts as a potent stimulator of bone resorption involved in the regulation and turnover of bone.

If you are supplementing in vitamin k2 and experiencing hair loss it may be because of that, you may not experience such things but many people reported hair loss on vitamin k2 for this exact reason.
Both mk7 and mk4 inhibits PGE2 but mk4 is more potent in this sense, mk7 can inhibits 5AR to an extent and is thus less likely to cause hair loss than mk4.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: zeshama, currylightskin, Deleted member 5815 and 4 others
dnrd wtf is this

if you bald is not because of a fucking vitamin, just lol

• +1
Reactions: looksforlife, Deleted member 22126, horizon and 2 others
just blast oral castor oil theory

• JFL
Reactions: ykyk21 and ascension
I ve been on megadose k2 for like 3 months and have thinning hair from long term high dose accutane on my temples. It's regrowing with no issue.

• Hmm...
Reactions: JohnDoe
dnrd wtf is this

if you bald is not because of a fucking vitamin, just lol
PGD2 induces calcification which have been proved to be a major cause of MPB along DHT.
Obviously it's not the only reason but if you are prone to MPB vitamin k2 can act as a catalyst, there is a bunch of people who claims having experienced hair loss on k2 supplementation :

I ve been on megadose k2 for like 3 months and have thinning hair from long term high dose accutane on my temples. It's regrowing with no issue.
Good to know

What dose do you think is significant enough to affect hair? I take D3 4000IU + k2 100, i really don't think it's affecting my hair. Also, the other user saying he's somehow regrowing lost hair with megadose K2? I was recently watching videos of Danny Roddy and he goes over this and a few other interesting theories on hair loss.

glad i didmt take it yet

What dose do you think is significant enough to affect hair? I take D3 4000IU + k2 100, i really don't think it's affecting my hair. Also, the other user saying he's somehow regrowing lost hair with megadose K2? I was recently watching videos of Danny Roddy and he goes over this and a few other interesting theories on hair loss.
15mg mk4 and 200mcg mk7 could be enough, i've experienced myself some shedding with 200mcg mk7 and 8k ui d3 and it stopped when i was few weeks of.
It won't affect most people and mk7 is much less likely to cause hair loss since it inhibits 5AR (this is how finasteride works) but inhibiting PGE2 and thus increasing PGD2 can cause hair loss especially if you are prone to MPB.
You may not experience this at all but this is a risk and this is why a lot of people report hair loss while being on vitamin k2 (especially mk4 since only mk7 and k1 can affect 5AR).

glad i didmt take it yet
You may not experience hair loss at all especially if you aren't taking mk4 but the risk is present nonetheless and if you experience shedding it may be one of the causes.

You may not experience hair loss at all especially if you aren't taking mk4 but the risk is present nonetheless and if you experience shedding it may be one of the causes.
im nw3

• So Sad
Reactions: FrenchChad
15mg mk4 and 200mcg mk7 could be enough, i've experienced myself some shedding with 200mcg mk7 and 8k ui d3 and it stopped when i was few weeks of.
It won't affect most people and mk7 is much less likely to cause hair loss since it inhibits 5AR (this is how finasteride works) but inhibiting PGE2 and thus increasing PGD2 can cause hair loss especially if you are prone to MPB.
You may not experience this at all but this is a risk and this is why a lot of people report hair loss while being on vitamin k2 (especially mk4 since only mk7 and k1 can affect 5AR).
Well i take 100mcg MK7 with my d3, see how it affects me but i already shed/lose a lot of hair so maybe i won't even be able to see the difference. So MK7 inhibs 5AR? i hate that tranny drug finasteride, no sides like fin from mk7 though right? you're saying it increases DHT?

Well i take 100mcg MK7 with my d3, see how it affects me but i already shed/lose a lot of hair so maybe i won't even be able to see the difference. So MK7 inhibs 5AR? i hate that tranny drug finasteride, no sides like fin from mk7 though right? you're saying it increases DHT?
Yes, vitamin k2 mk7 and k1 inhibits 5AR but only to a little extent, nothing near as potent as finasteride, inhibiting 5AR will reduce DHT levels but if you want to stop dht-related miniaturization you have to nuke your DHT levels and only fin/ru/duta etc can do this.
And mk7 will reduce DHT but inhibits PGE2 thus increasing PGD2 which is another factor involved in hair loss.

• +1
Reactions: JohnDoe
Yes, vitamin k2 mk7 and k1 inhibits 5AR but only to a little extent, nothing near as potent as finasteride, inhibiting 5AR will reduce DHT levels but if you want to stop dht-related miniaturization you have to nuke your DHT levels and only fin/ru/duta etc can do this.
And mk7 will reduce DHT but inhibits PGE2 thus increasing PGD2 which is another factor involved in hair loss.
Well i don't think 100mcg of k2 mk7 is going to have any significant hair on hairloss or show any side-effects at all related to blocking DHT like fin/etc and when you say the change in DHT is insignificant, what % are we talking roughly?. I'm poor so i take cheapest tablets i could find on amazon but if danny roddy is to be believed, these and many others are no good. They can cause issues with your stomach/intestines and you should take it in topical form and it has to be made from lanolin in olive oil. Funnily enough my stomach has been acting up ever since i started taking the tablets so maybe there is some truth to it. Topical form which he recommends is a lot pricier but maybe it's worth checking out. And there doesn't seem to be any need for K2 if you're using topical made this way. Mostly i've heard positive things about K2 and yours is the first that is claiming serious negative effects.

Well i don't think 100mcg of k2 mk7 is going to have any significant hair on hairloss or show any side-effects at all related to blocking DHT like fin/etc and when you say the change in DHT is insignificant, what % are we talking roughly?. I'm poor so i take cheapest tablets i could find on amazon but if danny roddy is to be believed, these and many others are no good. They can cause issues with your stomach/intestines and you should take it in topical form and it has to be made from lanolin in olive oil. Funnily enough my stomach has been acting up ever since i started taking the tablets so maybe there is some truth to it. Topical form which he recommends is a lot pricier but maybe it's worth checking out. And there doesn't seem to be any need for K2 if you're using topical made this way. Mostly i've heard positive things about K2 and yours is the first that is claiming serious negative effects.
100mcg mk7 will barely change serum DHT levels basically, they will maybe slightly decrease but that's it, nothing sufficient enough to stop miniaturization, fin reduces DHT by 70% and dutasteride reduces it by 90%, mk7 supplementation would roughly reduces it by like 5%, 10% maximum if you megadose but most of the time natural alpha-reductase inhibitors aren't very effective tbh.
Topical form is ideal because you don't have the side effect like erectile dysfunctions etc
k2 is mostly a good supplement, i've been using it for the past few months for bone growth and it helped me by a lot, i was just preventing here about a common and not well known risk of vitamin K2 supplementation, but k2 is obviously mostly beneficial to its users.

Can confirm

I went trough a low iq phase and wanted to k2maxx and overdosed it for a few weeks, next thing u know my hair is falling like crazy and i can see my scalp (before it wasnt visible at all) and my temples were thinning

Fast forwards almost 2 years later, I'm not bald. My hair is back to normal

Fuck supplementmaxxers here, they suggest stuff like crazy while being low iq and not taking side effects into consideration.

I almost went out to buy msm for hazel eyes instead of dark brown then i found out it can cause hyperthyroidism jfl at these idiots. Ruining their health for looksmaxing

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 22886, Deleted member 22126 and FrenchChad
Can confirm

I went trough a low iq phase and wanted to k2maxx and overdosed it for a few weeks, next thing u know my hair is falling like crazy and i can see my scalp (before it wasnt visible at all) and my temples were thinning

Fuck supplementmaxxers here, they suggest stuff like crazy while being low iq and not taking side effects into consideration.

I almost went out to buy msm for hazel eyes instead of dark brown then i found out it can cause hyperthyroidism jfl at these idiots. Ruining their health for looksmaxing
do you remember how much you were dosing exactly?

do you remember how much you were dosing exactly?
Like 2 or 3 pills a day, maybe i wasn't k2 or calcium deficient? Recommended pill dosage was 1 per day. Don't remember how much a pill was. It varies

Also could be that it was amplified and that hair falling thing was caused by something else

• +1
Reactions: eyebagcel
Hopefully, the recommended DV of K2 I take isn't doing much.

• +1
Can confirm

After you stopped k2 how many time it took for your fallen hair to grow back ?
Few months ?

What if I’m eating castor oil

What if I’m eating castor oil
It should prevent it since castor oil significantly increases PGE2 when took in its oral form and antagonizes PGD2.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20631
It should prevent it since castor oil significantly increases PGE2 when took in its oral form and antagonizes PGD2.
I just can’t stop winning

• +1
Reactions: GigaAscender and FrenchChad
Fun fact: Asians have been eating traditional fermented foods high in menaquinone-7 like natto and kimchi for centuries, yet they have much lower rates of male pattern baldness than Caucasians consuming little vitamin K2

• +1
Reactions: GigaAscender, ascension! and JohnDoe
PGD2 induces calcification which have been proved to be a major cause of MPB along DHT.
Obviously it's not the only reason but if you are prone to MPB vitamin k2 can act as a catalyst, there is a bunch of people who claims having experienced hair loss on k2 supplementation :
K2 reverses calcification tho.
. Is it because they are taking shitty cheap mk-4 instead of mk-7,not getting enough vitamin d,calcium,or magnesium?

Fun fact: Asians have been eating traditional fermented foods high in menaquinone-7 like natto and kimchi for centuries, yet they have much lower rates of male pattern baldness than Caucasians consuming little vitamin K2
Might be worth looking into, japs/koreans rarely bald or atleast don't anywhere near as early as non-east asians in their 20s.
But this goes against what OP is saying though so what are we to believe? K2 MK4 has high chance of hair loss if taken in significant doses or K2 helps stop hair loss? ............

Might be worth looking into, japs/koreans rarely bald or atleast don't anywhere near as early as non-east asians in their 20s.
But this goes against what OP is saying though so what are we to believe? K2 MK4 has high chance of hair loss if taken in significant doses or K2 helps stop hair loss? ............
Both can lead to hairloss but mk7 can inhibit 5AR while mk4 doesn't, this last is thus much likely to lead to hair loss.

Both can lead to hairloss but mk7 can inhibit 5AR while mk4 doesn't, this last is thus much likely to lead to hair loss.
I recall you saying in a different thread that mk4 is more likely to lead to hair loss. So you disagree with that guys post about mk7 helping stop hair loss?

I recall you saying in a different thread that mk4 is more likely to lead to hair loss. So you disagree with that guys post about mk7 helping stop hair loss?
No it can indeed i've already stated that mk7 can act in both ways, but PGD2 reduction can be harmful and enhances hair loss.
Mk7 can act in both ways, not mk4.

No it can indeed i've already stated that mk7 can act in both ways, but PGD2 reduction can be harmful and enhances hair loss.
Mk7 can act in both ways, not mk4.
So it's a coinflip whether it helps your hair or sheds it? uhh...

• +1
From my understanding on hairlosstalk is that it can cause hairloss from low estrogen from long periods of using it

Can confirm

With MSM, especially if you megadose it. It can cause bad side effects if your diet and other supplementation doesent support it. Basically, if depletes lots of the metals in our body, so you need to supplement choline (eggs), selenium, molbydenum, zinc, and copper. MSM can decrease their levels and possibly fuck you up. You should also supplement niacin because msm results in a build up of methyl groups and niacin helps clear them. VIt c as well and you needs magnesium glycine cause its a precursor in the lightening reactions for msm. Changes in the levels of anything will screw you up. Ive been on msm 4g+ for a six weeks now and now bad side effects at all, only lightening, WOuld not reccomend eating like 10g tho thats crazy

Like 2 or 3 pills a day, maybe i wasn't k2 or calcium deficient? Recommended pill dosage was 1 per day. Don't remember how much a pill was. It varies

Also could be that it was amplified and that hair falling thing was caused by something else
That’s not megadosing dude lmao

You probably took 300mcg assuming you got the wallmart k2

Mega dosing k2 is taking 10mg+ of k2

You need 1000mcg to get 1mg.

The wallmart bottles of k2 have 100mcg each. So you would need to take 100 pills a day to get to the start of mega dosing territory

What you took is not even a high dose. It’s low dose

Last edited:
That’s not megadosing dude lmao

You probably took 300mcg assuming you got the wallmart k2

Mega dosing k2 is taking 10mg+ of k2

You need 1000mcg to get 1mg.

The wallmart bottles of k2 have 100mcg each. So you would need to take 100 pills a day to get to the start of mega dosing territory

What you took is not even a high dose. It’s low dose
K2 mk7 dosages and mk4 dosages are not the same, 500mcg mk7 is a very high dosage (especially considering the fact that the half-life of mk7 is very elevated), while 3mg Mk4 is basically nothing.

K2 mk7 dosages and mk4 dosages are not the same, 500mcg mk7 is a very high dosage (especially considering the fact that the half-life of mk7 is very elevated), while 3mg Mk4 is basically nothing.
Do you think K2 (allegedly mk7, can never be too certain what type of k2 they put in supps) can increase the growth of body hair (chest hair)?
I am suspicious that taking D3+K2 4000/100 has had an effect on the growth of my chest hair, i suspect it has contributed to accelerated growth. Whether this is due to K2 or simply elevated testosterone levels and thus DHT which is known to increase body hair etc, i am not sure. I did get the feeling that my hair shedding was decreased whilst taking the vit d/k2 supplement but i stopped taking it because it was the cheapest supp on Amazon and was causing me stomach cramps (most likely due to how the tablets were made). I do still want to take D3 and i may not need to take K2 as i will be buying topical version of D3 made from lanolin in olive oil which will avoid the cheaply made tablets from supplement companies. I did feel a slight increase in Testosterone (not sure if placebo but i don't think it was) but i cannot be sure if this is due to me being deficient in Vit D and simply going back to normal/healthy levels which increased my test + dht or me not being deficient but still an increase in Vit d gave me a noticeable test boost. Logically i should be deficient in Vit D because i don't go outside and my diet doesn't really give me vit D either.
Talking specifically about my hair, i feel as though it had a positive effect and reduced shedding, although i can't be certain about this. I recall you saying it's 50/50 whether K2 helps your hair or gives you hair loss regardless of mk7 or mk4 which can't be a good thing since flipping a coin for such an important aspect of our health/aesthetics is never a good thing. There's also the thought of whether it was Vitamin D or Vitamin k2 that helped or maybe both?
I know this thread is mainly about K2 but this article on Vit D was really interesting to read: https://dannyroddy.substack.com/p/vitamin-d-bioenergetic-wunderkind

Last edited:
Do you think K2 (allegedly mk7, can never be too certain what type of k2 they put in supps) can increase the growth of body hair (chest hair)?
I am suspicious that taking D3+K2 4000/100 has had an effect on the growth of my chest hair, i suspect it has contributed to accelerated growth. Whether this is due to K2 or simply elevated testosterone levels and thus DHT which is known to increase body hair etc, i am not sure. I did get the feeling that my hair shedding was decreased whilst taking the vit d/k2 supplement but i stopped taking it because it was the cheapest supp on Amazon and was causing me stomach cramps (most likely due to how the tablets were made). I do still want to take D3 and i may not need to take K2 as i will be buying topical version of D3 made from lanolin in olive oil which will avoid the cheaply made tablets from supplement companies. I did feel a slight increase in Testosterone (not sure if placebo but i don't think it was) but i cannot be sure if this is due to me being deficient in Vit D and simply going back to normal/healthy levels which increased my test + dht or me not being deficient but still an increase in Vit d gave me a noticeable test boost. Logically i should be deficient in Vit D because i don't go outside and my diet doesn't really give me vit D either.
Talking specifically about my hair, i feel as though it had a positive effect and reduced shedding, although i can't be certain about this. I recall you saying it's 50/50 whether K2 helps your hair or gives you hair loss regardless of mk7 or mk4 which can't be a good thing since flipping a coin for such an important aspect of our health/aesthetics is never a good thing. There's also the thought of whether it was Vitamin D or Vitamin k2 that helped or maybe both?
I know this thread is mainly about K2 but this article on Vit D was really interesting to read: https://dannyroddy.substack.com/p/vitamin-d-bioenergetic-wunderkind
It may be a flipping coin with mk7, i have myself experienced some hair loss however for mk4 it's not sort of a flip coin, you are likely to get hair loss from it and this is a very well known side-effect.
Mk7 and d3 may have those benefits even if the PGD2 reduction can be more harmful in some people, however mk4 cannot.
For the testosterone increase, this is 100% due to vitamin D3 no doubt possible, afaik if you are deficient in vitamin D you will end up with lower testosterone levels and thus fixing this deficient will increase your t levels.