Why do we not use low dose isotretinoin instead of topical tretinoin?

A

alainchalamet

Bronze
Similarly to how some people use oral minoxidil instead of topical for hair loss why not do the same for tretinoin with oral isotretinoin? Would obviously be at a super low dose compared to how people blast it for getting rid of acne. Could it potentially boost minoxidils effect (like how topical tretinoin does) as well as improving collagen production/ anti aging?

or is this a completely retarded idea?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: GymCelNeckPill, PYT and TITUS
how much is low? like 10 mg?
anyway because isotretinoin have side effects, I don't know how severe could they be at low dosage though

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9670
Tretinoin has severe sides, including physical deformations.

• JFL
Reactions: JosephGarrot123
how much is low? like 10 mg?
anyway because isotretinoin have side effects, I don't know how severe could they be at low dosage though
I was thinking way lower, if we figure out how many mg topical tretinoin is absorbed with daily application, you could just match that is what I'm thinking idk
Tretinoin has severe sides, including physical deformations.
Idiot

Because we only want a topical effect, not a systemic one.

Because we only want a topical effect, not a systemic one.
Yeah, but improved skin on entire body and possibly better effect of minoxidil sounds nice, no?

Yeah, but improved skin on entire body and possibly better effect of minoxidil sounds nice, no?
The side effects of systemic isotretinoin are unpleasant, if you feel the cost is worth the benefit then go for it, but in my opinion topical is the more efficient choice.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9670 and alainchalamet
Iso as in accutane?

Some times accutane creates physical symptoms. The goal of using Retin A isn’t just to rid the body of acne it’s to help increase the collagen on the face and neck

• +1
Iso as in accutane?

Some times accutane creates physical symptoms. The goal of using Retin A isn’t just to rid the body of acne it’s to help increase the collagen on the face and neck
Yeah, but doesn't accutane have same anti aging/ collagen benefits? Both are vitamin a derivatives right? Or is isotretinoin formulated differently or something?

• +1
Reactions: PYT
Yeah, but doesn't accutane have same anti aging/ collagen benefits? Both are vitamin a derivatives right? Or is isotretinoin formulated differently or something?
It’s different, honestly I don’t know the nitty gritty details but the reason Retin A promotes so much collagen is because it puts the skin on a constant state of exfoliation

It does NOT have the same anti-aging effects if I remember correctly. A lot of people use accutane and I don’t see a lot of people with insane skin collagen into their late 20’s and 30’s

• +1
It’s different, honestly I don’t know the nitty gritty details but the reason Retin A promotes so much collagen is because it puts the skin on a constant state of exfoliation

It does NOT have the same anti-aging effects if I remember correctly. A lot of people use accutane and I don’t see a lot of people with insane skin collagen into their late 20’s and 30’s
Yes it might work completely different when it's taken orally or it's different overall haven't had the energy to reasearch it lol. Well there is nobody taking it at low doses that I've found. All people do a cycle (500mg test equivalent) to get rid of acne, but nobody is doing 125mg trt dose if you get me lol

• +1
Reactions: PYT
Hollywood people take lowdose isotretinoine for that, to have perfect skin all year around. Its way more powerful than topical tret and not risky if you check ur liver once a year and u dont take other drugs or alcohol who can affect ur liver in a really bad way

• +1
Reactions: FutureSlayer and alainchalamet
Hollywood people take lowdose isotretinoine for that, to have perfect skin all year around. Its way more powerful than topical tret and not risky if you check ur liver once a year and u dont take other drugs or alcohol who can affect ur liver in a really bad way
Huh that's interesting! Do you have any links where they talk about it? (not to get rid of acne, but to have good skin/ collagen)

Huh that's interesting! Do you have any links where they talk about it? (not to get rid of acne, but to have good skin/ collagen)
In my old pc i had some, i will check
I used 6 months of moderate dose of istret, and then i was 1 whole year on 10-20mg of isotret, my skin was PERFECT, literally
I just needed more moisturizer

• Love it
Reactions: alainchalamet
In my old pc i had some, i will check
I used 6 months of moderate dose of istret, and then i was 1 whole year on 10-20mg of isotret, my skin was PERFECT, literally
I just needed more moisturizer
okay awesome! Yeah topical tret is fine, but just taking a pill is obviously a lot easier to adhere to!

Oral isotretinoin as part of the treatment of cutaneous aging​

E Hernandez-Perez 1, H A Khawaja, T Y Alvarez
Affiliations expand

Abstract​

Background: A number of drugs have been used to prevent aging changes. However, studies of oral isotretinoin, the commonly used acne drug, as an antiaging drug are lacking.
Objective: To determine improvement in cutaneous aging utilizing oral isotretinoin combined with different procedures of facial rejuvenation.
Methods: Sixty patients ranging in age from 35 to 65 years, in whom additional modalities of rejuvenation were also used, were randomly assigned to receive treatment with oral isotretinoin (10-20 mg three times a week for 2 months, group A). Their results were compared with 60 patients who had undergone the same surgical procedures but with no oral isotretinoin (group B).
Results: All patients treated with oral isotretinoin noted improvement in wrinkles, thickness and color of the skin, size of pores, skin elasticity, tone, and reduction in pigmented lesions and mottled hyperpigmentation. A statistically significant difference was found in the improvement of group A (Wilcoxon test <0.01). Using minimal amounts of this drug, the side effects were practically negligible.
Conclusion: Utilizing various procedures with oral isotretinoin allowed us to improve the effects of cutaneous aging. Our results using isotretinoin in these cases have been satisfactory. We believe that this is one of the first reports of the use of oral isotretinoin in intrinsic and photoaged skin.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10886272/
Interesting

• +1

• +1
Isotretinoin accelerates androgenic alopecia, shorten telomeres and can trigger autoimmune diseases

Isotretinoin accelerates androgenic alopecia, shorten telomeres and can trigger autoimmune diseases
none of that is proven and here I'm talking about 5% of the normal dose