WTF is "good" and "bad" acting

D

Deleted member 14693

Kraken
Am I the only one who could never differintiate between good and bad acting? Ofc if the acting is comically bad I notice it, but in american movies I never noticed what is "good" and what "bad" acting is.

Like people say "Omg he played the joker so real" , im like yeah, but so does everyone else tbh.

Is this autistic that I find every actor real, even though critics say the acting was bad. Or is this whole "muhh acting" just a circlejerk and it really comes down to the script?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 17791 and currylightskin
It’s mostly subconscious. A great actor will never have me doubt the authenticity of the emotions or character they are portraying.

As you go through life, you consciously and subconsciously gain vast experience seeing different personalities react to differing situations.

You subconsciously build up a folder of how different people, undergoing differing emotions react in different settings.

When it comes to acting, if it’s good you can (subconsciously) relate the portrayal to something you have witnessed before. Whether that be because you've seen something similar happen in your own private life or on a video online.

Ex. You might not have witnessed someone experiencing utter terror because the threat of death stares them in the face (like you'd see in a film) but you have seen what genuine fear looks like on different people.

It's the little things you couldn't immediately point out that make or break an act.

Good acting is if the actor doesn’t even seem like he’s being filmed. I don’t consider “emotions” and cinematic moments as “good acting”. In my opinion good acting is when someone seems so realistic that you can picture that person talking to you in the same way. An example is Marilyn Mansons character in Sons of Anarchy. Others call him a horrible actor, but in my eyes, that’s the pinnacle of acting — he seems so realistic. He doesn’t do outrageous things, it seems so real because he’s monotonous and shit

it's when the actor's physiognomy fits their character they are playing as. It's good acting when they get a chad to play the badass hero, it's bad acting when they get some aspie looking guy to play the hero.