After chin wing how are the gaps between the bone held/filled?

D

Deleted member 63833

Gold

Just saw this random case of a chin wing with mandibular angle widening. but I don't understand, how are those massive gaps on the left and right side in the jaw even being held together? You clearly see the screws in the chin area but I don't understand how the jaw angle area is even held. any explanation for that? @RealSurgerymax

• +1
Reactions: k99
that looks scary lol

1. Chin Wing Osteotomy: This procedure involves making cuts along the jawline, which can create the gaps seen on either side of the jaw. The chin wing technique is designed to address both the chin and the jawline in a single procedure.

2. Screw and Plate Fixation: While screws are visible in the chin area, the mandibular angle may be held together using internal plates that are not visible from this view. These plates provide stability by spanning the osteotomy sites and securing the bone fragments together. The gaps might be due to the surgical cuts, and the bones are kept in place by the plates and screws until they heal.

3. Bone Healing: During the healing process, the body forms new bone tissue to fill in the gaps created by the osteotomies. The screws and plates are designed to hold the bones in the correct position while this healing takes place.

4. 3D Reconstruction: The CT scan provides a 3D reconstruction of the bones. Sometimes, the gaps can appear exaggerated in these images. The actual physical gap is filled with the patient’s natural healing process.

In summary, the massive gaps you see are likely the result of the osteotomy cuts made during surgery. These are temporarily held together by plates and screws, which may not be fully visible in the given view. The bones will eventually heal and fill in the gaps, aided by the internal fixation devices.

View attachment 2991262

Just saw this random case of a chin wing with mandibular angle widening. but I don't understand, how are those massive gaps on the left and right side in the jaw even being held together? You clearly see the screws in the chin area but I don't understand how the jaw angle area is even held. any explanation for that? @RealSurgerymax
the gaps r filled with new bones