Alternatives for weights/dumbbells?

mplayer1234

mplayer1234

Banned
I have been working out for nearly 2 years but once the gym closed I started doing

- slow pushups 5 x 20
- slow wide pushups 5 x 20
- diamond pushups 3 x 20
- 5 minute abs

Can pushups be a replacement or am I just going to be losing gains?

• +1
Reactions: Hopeful333
@mplayer1234 Calisthenics can't replace free weights unless you are doing the exercises with additional weight.

By the time quarantine ends you will have lost most of your muscle mass and 2 years of gains will be down the toilet. Hopefully, you have good muscle memory because it might be over...

• +1
  • Woah
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 5802, Deleted member 3323, Deleted member 1680 and 1 other person
@mplayer1234 Calisthenics can't replace free weights unless you are doing the exercises with additional weight.

By the time quarantine ends you will have lost most of your muscle mass and 2 years of gains will be down the toilet. Hopefully, you have good muscle memory because it might be over...
Great I'm gonna be a skinny child again

Great I'm gonna be a skinny child again
if you're still using all your muscles they're not going to atrophy but you're just maintaining your muscle mass, not really improving it

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: DutchPrettyBoy and mplayer1234
Do this with a backpack full of books and you could achieve some hypertrophy

• +1
Reactions: mplayer1234
Pushups are for warming up tbh and endurance maybe
Plyo pushups are a better choice

• Love it

Nevermind I just found and bought some heavy dumbbells, I'm saved and broke. They nearly sold out.

Do this with a backpack full of books and you could achieve some hypertrophy
Bro you were right, I did that as well as curls and those pushups were killing me.

• +1
Reactions: Incoming
bands are decent
i can do curls, flies, triceps, band crunches abs, leg curls. all with only bands.

although i also have a bar & plates for DLs and ohp and floor press.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3195, Deleted member 5187 and mplayer1234
Just buy weights. If you buy a barbell and a pull up bar you can work just about every muscle group you would need to. You might need to make some small changes depending on what machines you used at the gym but you could keep a lot of your routine. I could find a barbell, weights, and a pull up bar on craigslist or an online store for around 100 bucks total

I have been working out for nearly 2 years but once the gym closed I started doing

- slow pushups 5 x 20
- diamond pushups 3 x 20
- 5 minute abs

You could do decline push ups to make them tougher.

- slow pushups 5 x 20
- diamond pushups 3 x 20
- 5 minute abs

You are doing absolutely nothing for your back, biceps, and entire lower body, so you can overwork your chest and triceps instead. 😑 Sad...

• +1
weighted calisthenics faggot, you don't need a lot of weight to make calisthenics challenging

• +1
You are doing absolutely nothing for your back, biceps, and entire lower body, so you can overwork your chest and triceps instead. 😑 Sad...
Old news I have weights now.

do weighted bodyweight u idiot

get a backpack and fill it wish rice or sand and measure the bag before so u can track progression

do 5-10 reps MAX

im at 30lb rn and im seeing great gains

for size u need resistance to tear ur muscle fibers

Resistance bands

If you dont have parallel bars, get 2 sturdy chairs and arrange them so you can do dips
Unnamed 1

For added resistance get some textbooks and put them in your schoolbag and wear it

• +1
Reactions: xefo
Lifting is cope, philosophy is key

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13787
do weighted bodyweight u idiot

get a backpack and fill it wish rice or sand and measure the bag before so u can track progression

do 5-10 reps MAX

im at 30lb rn and im seeing great gains

for size u need resistance to tear ur muscle fibers
I do that now

not necessarily true, i stopped lifting for essentially 2 years and only ran + calisthentics and maintained a great deal of muscle. I could pull 405 for 10 one month into lifting again.
op check out r/calisthenics and follow the progressions they have set there.

also invest in 2-3 kettlebells, 30, 50, 70 (around those weights is good)

example of a challenging workout you can do is like:

warm up:
max alternating kettlebell snatches in 10 minutes w/50 lbs (shoot for 250 which is advanced)

workout:
EMOM for 10 minutes
5 HSPU (can eventually do deficit)

AMRAP 20 minutes
50 kettlbell swings
40 double unders or a 400m run of some sort (can do the run holding a sandbag or something)
20 Burpees
5 Push Ups
5 Pull Ups

thats like a good conditioning day,

then other days you can focus solely on making strength gains in your calisthenics movements or maybe some yoga.

this is also a good time to work on your work capacity, so doing long runs or better yet, bike rides (you can use an indoor trainer) can be of benefit. so when you get back in the gym you'll be able to handle more volume when lifting.

Srsly, you can be in better shape than most people who just lift at the gym.

Last edited: