Any classical music maxxers know some good pieces?

Salieri

Salieri

Lookism Refugee 10khitman
I feel I have listened to all the piano works there is like chopin and rachmaninoff etc, are any of you super high iq and know some more esoteric stuff? i have done lots of research on unknown composers and most of the quality is quite low tbh, very predictable and basic harmonies, i would love something beautiful to play these days im very bored 😢

• +1
Reactions: john2
One thing that I can’t stand..

Is a flight with no Fuckin internet

Skinny Asian bih ye that’s my type

• +1
Reactions: Toth's thot

• JFL
Reactions: Salieri

• Ugh..
Reactions: FrenchChad and vaseqmoherad
i love Händel and bach and if you like more modern minimalism, then arvo part is excellent

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 8608
Mass in B Minor

St Matthew's Passion

St Anne Prelude and Fugue

Well Tempered Clavier, Glenn Gould

Goldberg Variations, Glenn Gould

Inventions and Sinfonias, Glenn Gould
I feel I have listened to all the piano works there is like chopin and rachmaninoff etc, are any of you super high iq and know some more esoteric stuff? i have done lots of research on unknown composers and most of the quality is quite low tbh, very predictable and basic harmonies, i would love something beautiful to play these days im very bored 😢

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5892
String quintet by Schubert

yall these are nice pieces but its all famous like i done heard this im tryna find legit unknown stuff

• +1
People who're into classical music are very rare nowadays. Rachmaninoff has some nice lesser known pieces like the Serenade in B flat minor, Humoresque in G major, the two piano sonatas, the 4th concerto and his Barcarolle in G minor. I'm sure you've heard his overrated G minor prelude, I'm not a fan of that piece. But I like his piano concertos and his prelude in c-sharp minor very much, speaking of his popular pieces.

Speaking of esoteric stuff, Scriabin fits this description and you should try listening to his music. He was Rachmaninoff's classmate. Him and Debussy have awesome and enjoyable music that is revolutionary, they both use unique harmonies. Ravel is another composer I would recommend you try listening to, I'm currently exploring his oeuvre myself. Nikolai Medtner's music is another favorite of mine. Rachmaninoff said Medtner was the greatest composer of his generation. Idk why Medtner is so unknown. Stravinsky is cool, Poulenc as well. I'm mainly into Russian composers' music.

Which unknown composers' outputs have you looked into? Tbh, a well known composer who's music I don't like is Schoenberg, his music is just noise, I've tried listening to it in the hopes of finding something interesting about it, but it is plainly boring and unpleasant.

Also, how good are you at the piano? What can you play?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5892 and Salieri

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5892 and Salieri
i don't give a shit about the complex stuff, i like listening to the ones that are interesting and sound good.

• +1
Reactions: squirrelcel and Growth Plate
Komm suesser Tod from Bach

People who're into classical music are very rare nowadays. Rachmaninoff has some nice lesser known pieces like the Serenade in B flat minor, Humoresque in G major, the two piano sonatas, the 4th concerto and his Barcarolle in G minor. I'm sure you've heard his overrated G minor prelude, I'm not a fan of that piece. But I like his piano concertos and his prelude in c-sharp minor very much, speaking of his popular pieces.

Speaking of esoteric stuff, Scriabin fits this description and you should try listening to his music. He was Rachmaninoff's classmate. Him and Debussy have awesome and enjoyable music that is revolutionary, they both use unique harmonies. Ravel is another composer I would recommend you try listening to, I'm currently exploring his oeuvre myself. Nikolai Medtner's music is another favorite of mine. Rachmaninoff said Medtner was the greatest composer of his generation. Idk why Medtner is so unknown. Stravinsky is cool, Poulenc as well. I'm mainly into Russian composers' music.

Which unknown composers' outputs have you looked into? Tbh, a well known composer who's music I don't like is Schoenberg, his music is just noise, I've tried listening to it in the hopes of finding something interesting about it, but it is plainly boring and unpleasant.

i dont like schoenberg either, and yea ive listened to scriabin and medtner and ravel a good bit. here medtner's piano concerto 1 which is highly underrated:

heres some underrated composers you might not've heard of, all russian like you said you like:

kalinnikov was a good acquaintance of tchaikovsky, not sure if they were great friends but i know tchaikovsky helped kalinnikov get some high position at some insitution or conservatory or something along those lines and i know for sure tchaikovsky made sure kalinnikov's symphonies were played often. his symphony no. 1 is equal in composition to rachmaninoff even, in my opinion, particularly conducted by toscanini in the 40s, the 2nd movement is a masterpiece if you ask me

as for rebikov, he was quite bitter in his life, he specialized in saloon pieces and the like, and building with fifths and developing an impressionistic style. i know he felt that debussy stole from him and took his glory in the revolutionary impressionistic style, and truthfully i dont think he was crazy for thinking this despite most people thinking he was

idk mucb abt amany, but he was born in russia is all i know from google

as for my piano proficiency, im decent, the hardest piece i know by memory is chopin's ballade in g minor. i started piano about 2 years ago so when i tell people what i can play they typically think im lying, but oh well. my sight reading is horrific, though, and i havent really practiced in a few months or met with my teacher, but ill get back into it soon since im starting to gain motivation again.

• +1
Reactions: squirrelcel, john2 and Deleted member 5892

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: squirrelcel, Deleted member 5892 and Salieri

oh and yea ive heard the rach concertos and serenade, theres a recording of rach himself playing the serenade. not sure ive heard the hunoresque tho. heres my fav rach piece, somewhat known and severely underrated:

i dont dislike the prelude in g minor but yea, its pretty overrated imo, the middle part does capture the atmosphere of the russian country however in my opinion, at least the glorious aristocratic parts from back in his day

• +1

what a pretty piece, thanks 😁 i actually never heard it before but or course i had heard of gabriel faure. pavanes are typically very nice, i remember really loving ravel's famous pavane way back when i first started discovering classical musicz

• +1
Reactions: vaseqmoherad
what a pretty piece, thanks 😁 i actually never heard it before but or course i had heard of gabriel faure. pavanes are typically very nice, i remember really loving ravel's famous pavane way back when i first started discovering classical musicz
faure mogs

• Woah
Esoteric stuff? Schoenberg. Webern. Berg, Glass. Carter.

• +1
I think "D major inurass" by N. Fuggerrealgud is quite esoteric.

• JFL
Reactions: Yliaster and Salieri

I recommend Maurice Ravel

• +1
Reactions: squirrelcel and Hero of the Imperium
+1 Bach

Debussy

Also

And I highly recommend Howard Shore's work

• +1
if youre looking for pieces to play, listen these made by Aphex Twin (electronic composer). It's technically not classical tho

• Love it
Do you like baroque music ?
i listen to this when i was 16/17

• +1
Reactions: Salieri and Deleted member 5892

Nba Playoffs Crying GIF by NBA

Sad Cristiano Ronaldo GIF by UEFA
Sad Lionel Messi GIF

• JFL
PM me, I am semi pro incel pianist

Check out the whole Oldboy OST

just go to the royal opera house in London it's subsidized by the government and not that expensive

This is what I listen to when I'm having a big brain moment thinking about enslaving the normies in my Aspie universe. 😈

and yea ive listened to scriabin and medtner and ravel a good bit.
Medtner is good. But what are your thoughts on Ravel and Scriabin?

Ravel’s lesser known works are very overlooked and often dismissed, which is unfair. My favourite piece by him is his cello sonata that was published posthumously. His pieces have very strange titles, so it is hard to recall them as I am not a French speaker. The valses sentimentales are also nice.

Scriabin is my second favourite composer, Liszt is my favourite. I like pretty much everything that Scriabin wrote, at first I hated it, but it all starts to magically make sense somehow after a few listens. My favourite works by him are his 2nd, 5th, 8th, 9th, sonatas and the 1st symphony and his poeme de la extase. And ofc, the etudes op 8 no 12 and op 42 no 5 are great as well.

I’m currently learning Scriabin’s 5th sonata, which is one of the hardest pieces ever written for the piano in the standard concert repertoire. I plan on learning Ravels gaspard de na luit one day as well, I heard it is harder.
i dont like schoenberg either, and yea ive listened to scriabin and medtner and ravel a good bit. here medtner's piano concerto 1 which is highly underrated:

heres some underrated composers you might not've heard of, all russian like you said you like:

kalinnikov was a good acquaintance of tchaikovsky, not sure if they were great friends but i know tchaikovsky helped kalinnikov get some high position at some insitution or conservatory or something along those lines and i know for sure tchaikovsky made sure kalinnikov's symphonies were played often. his symphony no. 1 is equal in composition to rachmaninoff even, in my opinion, particularly conducted by toscanini in the 40s, the 2nd movement is a masterpiece if you ask me

as for rebikov, he was quite bitter in his life, he specialized in saloon pieces and the like, and building with fifths and developing an impressionistic style. i know he felt that debussy stole from him and took his glory in the revolutionary impressionistic style, and truthfully i dont think he was crazy for thinking this despite most people thinking he was

idk mucb abt amany, but he was born in russia is all i know from google

as for my piano proficiency, im decent, the hardest piece i know by memory is chopin's ballade in g minor. i started piano about 2 years ago so when i tell people what i can play they typically think im lying, but oh well. my sight reading is horrific, though, and i havent really practiced in a few months or met with my teacher, but ill get back into it soon since im starting to gain motivation again.

I’ll give Medtners concerto a listen, I am already impressed by his output, it must be good as well like the rest of his pieces. I like Medtners sonata op 39 no 5, which is your favourite?

I have heard of both kalinnikov and rebikov, but didn’t hear of Amani. Russians really did dominate the music scene in the late 1800s and onwards.

• +1
Reactions: squirrelcel
If you like piano but want something a bit more esoteric, look into the harpsichord compositions by Rameau, Scarlatti, Bach &c though you'll know many of these already. The crisp plucked tone mogs piano and with almost no dynamic contrast, it negates the main annoyance of listening to classical music thru speakers which is the need to micromanage the volume to actually hear what's happening without getting earraped. Orchestral compositions are often annoying by meandering and on with no interesting melodies, just the "cool" sound of many instruments which can only be appreciated in a live setting. solo pieces are better because there's a stronger need for quality composition, it's easier to weed out those that don't have it, and you can learn to play them by yourself.

To find music you like just listen to compilations. save the pieces that stand out and forget the boring ones.

• +1