Are facial masks the best thing for your skin?

TsarTsar444

TsarTsar444

Asexual peaceful balkan monk
This girl is urging me to start using face masks and how they are the sevret to have beautiful skin, is this true or cope? Are they better then retina?

• JFL
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, ItsOver.com and Deleted member 1464
Depends whats in them really

Depends on the mask. Some a phenomenal, some are shite.
Better than Retin A? That's like asking which is better out of wallpaper and plaster- they both go on walls but have completely different uses.

Depends on the mask. Some a phenomenal, some are shite.
Better than Retin A? That's like asking which is better out of wallpaper and plaster- they both go on walls but have completely different uses.
Ok so what is the use of masks and what if tretinoin? This girl is a crazy skin care maniac and uses 20 different products on her skin and her skin is silky smooth, never wears makeup and her skin looks incredible

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 13787 and ItsOver.com
Ok so what is the use of masks and what if tretinoin? This girl is a crazy skin care maniac and uses 20 different products on her skin and her skin is silky smooth, never wears makeup and her skin looks incredible
A mask will never do what tretinoin will do. Don't get me wrong, masks can be phenomenal for hydrating and moisturising and some have really great ingredients, but thats about it. The benefits are very temporary. Which masks are you looking at? I'll run down the INCI lists for you.
And as for the 20 different products thing, bare in mind that some people's skin can just take more than others.

• +1
Reactions: jordanbarrettisgod
A mask will never do what tretinoin will do. Don't get me wrong, masks can be phenomenal for hydrating and moisturising and some have really great ingredients, but thats about it. The benefits are very temporary. Which masks are you looking at? I'll run down the INCI lists for you.
And as for the 20 different products thing, bare in mind that some people's skin can just take more than others.
Screenshot 20200118 163349 Instagram
Screenshot 20200118 163359 Instagram
Screenshot 20200118 163411 Instagram

Yeah this is what she sent me

• +1
  • Woah
Yeah all of those masks are going to dry the shit out of your skin, and the hand and body lotion would likely be way too heavy for your face.
Side note: both Farmasi and Avon are MLM companies, wouldn't recommend.
So im basically using tretinoin cream with benzoyl peroxide, is this alone enough to get skin full of collagen and acne free?

• +1
  • Woah
So im basically using tretinoin cream with benzoyl peroxide, is this alone enough to get skin full of collagen and acne free?
Your skin is already "full of collagen", it's skin.
Are you cleansing? Moisturising? SPF?

Your skin is already "full of collagen", it's skin.
Are you cleansing? Moisturising? SPF?
Non of those tbh, are they important? It's cold af now and it's cloudy plus i spent my whole day ldaring here during winter so i don't use SPF. I never used cleansers just normal water lol, and i don't get moisturizers tbh, they make your skinn look oily and pronounce the acne you have more, like it becomes more red when i put a moisturizer so i don't use any now. Also i get the cringe knowing that moisturizer is basically oil on your skin witch can clog your pores

• JFL
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, ItsOver.com and Wannabe6ft2
Non of those tbh, are they important? It's cold af now and it's cloudy plus i spent my whole day ldaring here during winter so i don't use SPF. I never used cleansers just normal water lol, and i don't get moisturizers tbh, they make your skinn look oily and pronounce the acne you have more, like it becomes more red when i put a moisturizer so i don't use any now. Also i get the cringe knowing that moisturizer is basically oil on your skin witch can clog your pores
Oh shit. Okay.
Would you shower and only wash using water? Would you make food using a pan that you've just rinsed with water? Hopefully the answer to both of those is no. You need to cleanse.
The right moisturiser won't make your look oily or clog pores and can actually help with acne.

• +1
Reactions: TsarTsar444
Oh shit. Okay.
Would you shower and only wash using water? Would you make food using a pan that you've just rinsed with water? Hopefully the answer to both of those is no. You need to cleanse.
The right moisturiser won't make your look oily or clog pores and can actually help with acne.
Thanks

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Woah
idk never used one

my skin is reasonably good with just exfoliate & moisturising ngl but perhaps a face mask would be the finishing touch

idk never used one

my skin is reasonably good with just exfoliate & moisturising ngl but perhaps a face mask would be the finishing touch
What the hell is exfoliating?
Oh shit. Okay.
I just found out i have tee tree oil soap, is it a good cleanser?

• +1
  • Woah
What the hell is exfoliating?

I just found out i have tee tree oil soap, is it a good cleanser?
Exfoliating is a method of removing excess dead skin. Obviously I don't know what product exactly you're talking about but I'd assume no, it's not a good cleanser- it would be way too harsh on your skin.

That Clinique exfoliator is also a harsh one. Anything that says it's designed for "strong skin" isn't a great idea.
Where are you based and what is your budget for products?

Exfoliating is a method of removing excess dead skin. Obviously I don't know what product exactly you're talking about but I'd assume no, it's not a good cleanser- it would be way too harsh on your skin.

That Clinique exfoliator is also a harsh one. Anything that says it's designed for "strong skin" isn't a great idea.
Where are you based and what is your budget for products?
My budget is not good because im a medical student so i have to rely on my parents for everything. Whats the cheapest but good cleanser. Im located at the Balkans

• +1
  • Woah
My budget is not good because im a medical student so i have to rely on my parents for everything. Whats the cheapest but good cleanser. Im located at the Balkans
Do you have access to CeraVe?

Do you have access to CeraVe?
Sorry for asking this here, but I just saw your skincare guide on Google docs. Is the 2nd cleanse really needed?

I will buy CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser, but it says it's only for the 2nd cleanse. I would only do one cleanse at morning and evening.

• +1
  • Woah
I don't know honestly, will need to find out
I'm pretty sure you can find CeraVe products on your local pharma. It's a very popular skincare brand. But if not, you can always order it online.

I'm pretty sure you can find CeraVe products on your local pharma. It's a very popular skincare brand. But if not, you can always order it online.
Are they expensive

• +1
  • Woah
Sorry for asking this here, but I just saw your skincare guide on Google docs. Is the 2nd cleanse really needed?

I will buy CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser, but it says it's only for the 2nd cleanse. I would only do one cleanse at morning and evening.
On an evening? Usually. If you've not left your house all day and you've not got sunscreen or anything else on, then just one can work.
I put the CeraVe Hydrating cleanser as a second cleanser because it's not amazing at getting shit like sunscreen and that kind of thing off- I find it works best as a "skin" cleanser. You can use it for both cleanses though if you want.

Are they expensive
Not normally, no. I can't comment on how expensive it is in your area though.

• +1
Reactions: her
On an evening? Usually. If you've not left your house all day and you've not got sunscreen or anything else on, then just one can work.
I put the CeraVe Hydrating cleanser as a second cleanser because it's not amazing at getting shit like sunscreen and that kind of thing off- I find it works best as a "skin" cleanser. You can use it for both cleanses though if you want.

Not normally, no. I can't comment on how expensive it is in your area though.
Ok just saw what products are in my local pharmacy, it's basically majority nivea and garnier. Are they good and what of these companies is better?

• +1
  • Woah
Best thing for skin is derma stamp and retin a

Oh, okay. May I ask you what moisturizer you are currently using?

Ok just saw what products are in my local pharmacy, it's basically majority nivea and garnier. Are they good and what of these companies is better?
Are those the only two brands available?
Oh, okay. May I ask you what moisturizer you are currently using?
I switch it up. A lot. Last night I think I used the Dr Jart Ceramidin?

Are those the only two brands available?

I switch it up. A lot. Last night I think I used the Dr Jart Ceramidin?
There is also clean&clear, cerin, lorea dermo expertis, dermogal, gerovital, neutrogena, ROC, Rosal

• +1
  • Woah
There is also clean&clear, cerin, lorea dermo expertis, dermogal, gerovital, neutrogena, ROC, Rosal
Obviously I've never used it, but from the INCI list, the Rosal clean it gently microemulsion seems like it could be a good option.

@benignice Hey, I have dryish skin and use moisturizer 2x a day(Morning/Night or after shower) and exfoliate 2x a week. I have never used SPF because where I live it's very dark most time of the year and my sun exposure is very minimal.

Could you recommend me the essential products to improve/maintain skin quality?

Oh shit. Okay.
q7jom4rn5i431.png

@benignice Hey, I have dryish skin and use moisturizer 2x a day(Morning/Night or after shower) and exfoliate 2x a week. I have never used SPF because where I live it's very dark most time of the year and my sun exposure is very minimal.

Could you recommend me the essential products to improve/maintain skin quality?
Which moisturiser and exfoliator are you currently using? Are you happy with them?
Do you use cleanser currently?

Foid is helping you? Thats something that i always wanted

Which moisturiser and exfoliator are you currently using? Are you happy with them?
Do you use cleanser currently?

This moisturizer: https://www.apoteket.se/produkt/apoliva-dagcreme-60ml-burk-ej-metall-397943/
This exfoliator: https://www.apoteket.se/produkt/apoliva-ansiktsscrub-60-ml-tub-585913/

They both do what they are advertised to do, so I guess I am happy with them but I haven't really tried anything else. None of them irritate my skin either.

I dont use anything besides these 2.

This moisturizer: https://www.apoteket.se/produkt/apoliva-dagcreme-60ml-burk-ej-metall-397943/
This exfoliator: https://www.apoteket.se/produkt/apoliva-ansiktsscrub-60-ml-tub-585913/

They both do what they are advertised to do, so I guess I am happy with them but I haven't really tried anything else. None of them irritate my skin either.

I dont use anything besides these 2.
If they work for you, then stick with them. I'm not a huge fan of physical exfoliants in general so I would prefer a chemical exfoliant, but again, if they work for you, keep going.
I'd recommend that you use a cleanser- imagine not showering or just using water in the shower. And I'd say an SPF too- at the very least in summer.

Obviously I've never used it, but from the INCI list, the Rosal clean it gently microemulsion seems like it could be a good option.
Ok so there is ROSAL cleanser tonic, gel, and milk, which one is the best type of cleanser?

• +1
  • Woah
Ok so there is ROSAL cleanser tonic, gel, and milk, which one is the best type of cleanser?
From what I could see, it would likely be the milk?

• +1
  • +1
  • Woah
Why would milk he superior?
The gel likely contains the likes of sodium lauryl sulfate which can be pretty harsh on the skin. The tonic is likely either just a cleansing water (which won't actually really cleanse much) or a traditional toner, in which case it's usually not much use. The milk is most likely to be the best at cleansing effectively but not drying to skin too much.

The gel likely contains the likes of sodium lauryl sulfate which can be pretty harsh on the skin. The tonic is likely either just a cleansing water (which won't actually really cleanse much) or a traditional toner, in which case it's usually not much use. The milk is most likely to be the best at cleansing effectively but not drying to skin too much.
Is nivea bad tho? I like their manly smell of the products

• Woah
  • +1
I'm not a huge fan of their cleansers, but if it works for you, go for it.
And garnier? They have the biggest selection of products

• +1
  • Woah
And garnier? They have the biggest selection of products
Again, a lot of their cleansers are pretty harsh in my experience. But if you can get away with using them, then go ahead.

• +1
Again, a lot of their cleansers are pretty harsh in my experience. But if you can get away with using them, then go ahead.
So basically Rosal has the least harsh products?

• +1
  • Woah
So basically Rosal has the least harsh products?
I've never used anything by them, but going on what I could see on the INCI lists, they seem to.

• +1
  • +1
  • Woah
Repost from Sep 2nd 2019

A routine to protect against mitochondrial dysfunction, upregulate mitochondrial function, promote mitochondrial biogenesis, recycle misfolded proteins in the skin cell through routine autophagy or selective autophagy (microneedling), and lastly, aiming to prevent and deal with apoptosis (cell death).

1. Protecting against mitochondrial dysfunction, upregulating mitochondrial function, promoting mitochondrial biogenesis (growth of new mitochondria in the skin cell).

CoQ10 to keep healthy functioning mitochondria and PQQ to promote biogenesis through PGC1 alpha activation. Do this in an energy deprived state and do HIIT and exercises that allow for hormetic doses of stress. Use saunas as often as possible to activate SIRT1 and FOXO3.

Use Berberine to take stress off your pancreas (edit: only take it sporadically - once in every 10-20 days, no carbs, fasted). Activating the TBC1D1 pathway allows glucose to be transported to cells without insulin signalling. Cut down on carbs too. Your liver needs a break too and without insulin signalling you'll keep inflammation low throughout your whole body and you'll prevent your liver from having to make IGF-1. Berberine also activates the AMPK fuel channel which fights inflammation and so long as you practice intermittent fasting you'll be able to dive into deeper autophagy and activate the ULK1 pathway due to amino acid starvation. Eventually you will activate the NRF2 pathway which'll allow your body to release it's own anti-inflammatory cytokines.

Also do derminator2 like once per week and allow your skin to recover (edit: use ascorbic acid powder mixed with water post needling - Don't mix copper peptides with the Ascorbic Acid). Take some Beta Carotene(edit: *Astaxanthin)+Omega3+Vitamin E daily and get some natural sunlight (edit: apply SPF100 each morning. If there's Zinc oxide in it - don't mix with copper peptides). Microneedling is a hormetic stressor which enables selective autophagy and hormetic upregulation of the skin cells. Don't use peppermint oil as your skin is healing from the wounds because it'll inhibit PGE2 quite substantially which is an important anti-inflammatory needed for the healing process. Polyphenols from coffee/decaff and some cashew nuts high in magnesium will also help you.

Red light therapy will also enhance mitochondrial function in the skin cells so long as you have a device with 650-950nm wavelength which can run on high wattage. Joovv would be the best device to get even though it's expensive. Cheaper alternatives simply aren't as powerful or aren't made for LLLT but usually something else like Infrared Lamp Therapy.

Edit: Recommendations

I've come to realize how important retinoids are long term. At the start, purging will suck. Start with Tazarotene 0.1% on your face every night (on a completely dry face - applying to a not fully dry face will increase chances of irritation). Tazarotene is not the best retinoid. It's the harshest of them all, but you will purge faster on it, and it's only useful at the very start.

Use Tazarotene nightly for 2 weeks (Use a tiny tiny amount. It's very strong and more is less) If you've finished purging after 2 weeks, switch to Adapalene and use for at least 6 months. If you haven't start purging after 2 weeks on Tazarotene, switch to Adapalene. If you're still purging after 2 weeks, keep using the Tazarotene and switch to Adapalene when the purging is over.

When your content with your skin and have no-acne, switch to Retin-A. Retin-A is the best retinoid for anti-aging, and you're gonna want to use this consistently and indefinitely. @benignice 's suggestion is really good. Don't use Retin-A everyday at the beginning, start at the lowest strength. Stay consistent, but you only need to test the waters and apply once every few days at the start.

After you become acclimated to it, increase the strength and frequency as you see fit, and stay consistent with everything said above.

- Drink lots of water
- Get at least 8 hours sleep per night. Try get to sleep before midnight.
- No Fap
- Cold Showers

EDIT: If you're rich then use topical GHK-cu on your hair and face. It helps!

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6963, Deleted member 656 and her