Best martial art for street fight self defense situations?

G

GymCelNeckPill

Bronze
I had a really bad misunderstanding with a guy. Luckily I got out of the situation without a fight, i probably couldn't have defended myself...

I was thinking about starting MMA, but read that any gym that teaches MMA for beginners is shit and I should start Muay Thai and BJJ instead if I want to learn MMA.

So I found a promising Muay Thai gym near me, but my dad is telling me I should do Judo instead because Judo pros win every MMA fight. And tbh he is right a black belt Judo fighter would easily beat a Muay Thai fighter with submission. However I think that is only true for if you have 10+ years experience. I don't think after one year of training Judo I could beat someone who has trained one year Muay Thai...

What do you think?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8019, ChristianChad, ShowerMaxxing and 2 others
wrestling, muay thai, boxing

• +1
Reactions: Boxingfan, RoundHouse, TheEndHasNoEnd and 6 others
Whatever you have more interest in

• +1
Reactions: Deleted
muay thai and bjj

Mqv7pirnr2411

• JFL
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: SoyGune, Hector, AtlasTH and 22 others
why the Bjj?
jiu-jitsu is good. Beause alot of grapling happens with fighting 1-on-1.
MMA is good also.

I had a really bad misunderstanding with a guy. Luckily I got out of the situation without a fight, i probably couldn't have defended myself...

I was thinking about starting MMA, but read that any gym that teaches MMA for beginners is shit and I should start Muay Thai and BJJ instead if I want to learn MMA.

So I found a promising Muay Thai gym near me, but my dad is telling me I should do Judo instead because Judo pros win every MMA fight. And tbh he is right a black belt Judo fighter would easily beat a Muay Thai fighter with submission. However I think that is only true for if you have 10+ years experience. I don't think after one year of training Judo I could beat someone who has trained one year Muay Thai...

What do you think?
Boxing + Wreslting
Also remember
95 % of street fights end in 20s maximum

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11753, Biiyo03 and JosephGarrot123
running is the best self defense

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11753 and Deleted member 5799
krav magá

• JFL
  • +1
  • Ugh..
Reactions: Deleted member 2785, Lux, Deleted member 8019 and 3 others
  • JFL
Reactions: AsGoodAsItGets
sprinting

knife

gun

in that order tbh

• +1
Reactions: A23ghskung, Hector, JosephGarrot123 and 2 others
HGH while you are teen so ppl don’t want to challenge you to fight

• +1
Reactions: Baldingman1998
HGH while you are teen so ppl don’t want to challenge you to fight
Its copium
tall guys are so easily beatable cause most of them have bad frames + act too cocky

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11758, JosephGarrot123 and TakaTeo
Also the best for shrinking your dick by 1 icnh every time you run away from a fight
Its unironically a beta trait to pick a fight. Its risking ur life to impress others Bcuz u never know If they have a knife or Gun

• +1
Reactions: Hector, Lolcel, Marsiere214 and 6 others
krav maga is shit and well known to be useless, even assuming its not and its a legit non embelished martial art its training is majorly focused on knives weapons etc which makes it less practical in the majority of street fights

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8019, Deleted member 10987 and Deleted member 761

• JFL
Reactions: Lolcel, Lux, Kekee and 1 other person
your dad is retarded, I would double leg him and put him on his back before he can try a hip toss, judo is cope. Wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai and Boxing are all your best bets, but make sure you at least do one ground martial art and one stand up.

What do you think?
Wrestling and judo nothing else matters maybe some boxing for ground game

your dad is retarded, I would double leg him and put him on his back before he can try a hip toss, judo is cope. Wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai and Boxing are all your best bets, but make sure you at least do one ground martial art and one stand up.
Rondo rousey?

Rondo rousey?
ronda* and she was an olympian gold medalist who also was a BJJ black belt, also it was a woman, if it was the recipe for success you'd see it in mens mma, and look at what happened to her against Amanda Nunes & Holly Holm

ronda* and she was an olympian gold medalist who also was a BJJ black belt, also it was a woman, if it was the recipe for success you'd see it in mens mma, and look at what happened to her against Amanda Nunes & Holly Holm
Yeah but I’d put that upon most fighters not training in judo she’s shown that it can easily catch opponents off guard who couldn’t counter it

Buy a gun or mace. Martial arts for self defense are largely cope

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11753
best all around - running
best for 1v1 - brazilian jiu jitsu... anyone can land a "lucky punch" but nobody knows what to do on the ground
best for gangbang - you are fucked (in all ways) :lul:

What do you think?
krav magá was literally made for those situations. Tbh if i were you I would start MMA/muay thai/BJJ/kick boxing. It strikes the perfect balance between discipline and usability if that’s a word. Like its pretty useful and its also a great martial art unlike Krav Magá lets say, which is total shit but it’s much more useful compared to other martial arts.

• +1
Reactions: AsGoodAsItGets
muay thai, judo, bjj in that order

kick them in the neck, throw them on their neck, or strangle them by their neck.

go to dagestan
Find bear
Roll with bear
Become khabib crew

From my experience wrestling and boxing are best if you just need basics. But in reality and in legal pursuits it’s best to negotiate and then run if all else fails. But guns keep you safe as long as you train and use them often. It’s best to keep a personal alarm if you live in 🇬🇧.

I use a personal alarm and I shadow box on weekends. Then I keep a sock lock in my place for defense. And then i usually just lock doors and power walk every day.

do what you like though, we all defend ourselves differently

From my experience wrestling and boxing are best if you just need basics. But in reality and in legal pursuits it’s best to negotiate and then run if all else fails. But guns keep you safe as long as you train and use them often. It’s best to keep a personal alarm if you live in 🇬🇧.

I use a personal alarm and I shadow box on weekends. Then I keep a sock lock in my place for defense. And then i usually just lock doors and power walk every day.

do what you like though, we all defend ourselves differently
Image 2021 07 20 220846
XDDDD

krav maga is shit and well known to be useless, even assuming its not and its a legit non embelished martial art its training is majorly focused on knives weapons etc which makes it less practical in the majority of street fights
most practically useful shit I ever learned was krav maga wristlocks

wrestling and similar martial arts like sambo/judo

Your father is kinda idiot, in street THERE IS NO FLOOR, repeat with me, THERE IS NO FLOOR.

You are in a club and your autistic ass takes a dude to the floor to do some submission. Guess what, you get kicked in the head by a friend of the dude you slammed i to the floor, enjoy your death or permanent brain damage. But guess your father can be proud because you used "Judo" instead of Muay Thai.

Muay Thai is basically the best for striking, so this is the best. It teaches to throw people to the ground and easy KO that, per example, some idiot that watches too much boxing will go quickly to throw a "brutal punch" to you face. Bozing stance is very forward, so you with a bit ok MT knowledge can send his forward leg to Gandy. Close stance, a quick elbow to the chin, direct KO. He hugs you? Knees to the kidney, one, two or three and the dude is in the floor with the worst pain he had in a good while.

You want to keep an idiot far away, teeps. You want to throw him to the floor in a "hug" situation, knee in his inner leg, some movement, he is in the floor. Boxing, you can box. Basically whatever in the striking, plus MT stance is very defensive, hands always in the head, it teaches you how to absord kicks with the shins....

Street fight is stupid because anyone can have a knife and end your subhuman life right there. But if you get in a situation where you can't run or avoid the violence, a quick combo of one of those can give you time to run out before his 5 friends arrive.

• +1
Reactions: GymCelNeckPill

What do you think?

I don't know if you are trolling with the judo comment. While it even allows to overcome size disadvantage (see akyiama vs lebanner in round 1) pretty efficiently, it's not even close to sufficient for all situations. It's infintely better than nothing though and a rather safe choice since you are not getting your brain nuked in training (although repeatedly doing takedowns are brutal as fuck). I did Judo as a child and used it with success in a few cases in fights when I was in middle and high school (lol). But if you open yourself and unfortunately eat a strong haymaker, cross, power punch, knee on the way you may be done ; if someone knows how to defend, prevent takedowns and has some follow up, or absolutely overpowers you, you are done. It's also limited in submissions, and the use of the gi is a bit limiting (though also useful). That being said you can definitely beat someone well versed in Muay thai with wrestling, maybe judo fundamentals if they know jack shit about grappling.

You need :
- Very, very solid striking, mostly fists. A single punch ends an attacker if powerful enough, and there are infinite set ups, even running backward (think check hooks). Unless you are an exceptional grappler that can ragdoll (strong wrestler, judokas can!) people one after another, it's much more safer to set up a KO (unless you are not powerful enough to, but it shall come). But you NEED to know how to deal with elbows, kicks, knees, and the clinch. I wouldn't recommend kicking in a streetfight but it's still a lethal/KO weapon if you know what to do. You need to know how to punch, dodge, evade, parry. And as you learn, merge these skills with the rest of MMA. You may also overcome size disadvantage with the right thing, like a good overhand with a set up/as a counter. Also traps, dealing with some handfighting sometime... This is almost mandatory if you have to fight more than one attacker (which is catastrophic but manageable)

- Takedowns. This is huge. There are a lot of cunts who train boxing, and if they have zero or limited wrestling, they will get slammed on their head, or back taken and choked, or thrown on the ground and g'n'ped. This is also an huge equalizer against rangier fighters and taller or even heavier+stronger opponents. You need to be able to reverse bad positions and get on your feet asap. One you know just a little bit of striking, and avoid shooting on the front leg/without a set up, know how to defend some strikes, this theoretically could be the only needed thing for 1, maybe 2 opponents. Wrestling takedowns would be my choice, but it can be more nuanced than that. A good wrestler that got in range will nuke most striker including muay thai (which I'm surprised is still so mentionned here, it's quite ab it nichy and was the rage 10 years ago).

-Grappling. This allows you to finish someone that vastly outskills anywhere else. The issue in street fights is that motherless bitch missed abortion cunts will come to kick you and so on. This is still something you need, urgently a few submission that are guaranteed to end a fight : choke, breaking arms or legs.

-Mass, aerobic ability and power. It's dissuasive + You absolutely need to get stronger, bigger while still maintaining an ok gas tank. There are plenty of ressource about this. A very single recipe would be phases (but concurrent can work) lifting for mass , then strength, and some plyometrics/ballistic thrown in. Any male around the average should be able to bench, row 130-150kg after 1-2, maybe 3 years with proper training, squat/deadlift 200-250kg+. With these numbers and the proper explosion training, you now have a chance against an overwhelming percentage of the population. If someone still outstrengths you, there is a high chance you'll outskill him. Neck work will also reduce the chance of concussions and co (but increase the risk of sleep apnea and maybe scalene hypertrophy fucks with blood flow to the brain, I dunno). You can look at shot put/discus thrower training, it's pretty similar to what you would benefit from. ( don't lift if you are not done growing, this is very important, IT CAN nuke the epiphsyes).

-If allowed in your country, whatever self defense weapon you can use within the law. And don't use it as a dissuasion tool if your life is not a risk. Follow the law and use your brain. Also maybe train some very instinctive weapon defense. Not the bullshit you'll see in some video. The stuff that can work, like 2 hands on his arm if he has a knife, etc...
-Social skills (optional, lmao, but you can defuse terrible situations)
-Know when to go away. You are not alpha if you end with your skull open on the ground. You are just dead.

Words of caution : any kind of striking training is a risk for lifelong damage to your brain. You can do very light striking (even mostly pad or faggot noodle work etc and still learn a bit, but you need a few real sparring session) Chokes in bjj may be too but there is a bit less evidence (hypoperfusion). You still have more chances of having a stroke , dissecting an artery... So if you follow bjj tap very early. Takedowns, contact in grappling can rattle your brain and being slammed will give you potentially extreme brain damage just as well as striking. If yo uare young be exceptionally considerate for your brain, you are not done developing.

Take all this maniac rambling and decide. If you are very concerned, I'd go to a quality MMA gym around you, and supplement with some stuff here and there. Overall the safest for your health would be a low risk choice like judo/bjj(no gi if you can, supplemented with takedown practice) and a little bit of striking. Wrestling if you have but it can be extremely though and actually kidna dangerous. The most efficient would be MMA IF the gym is good. Muay thai + Bjj is also fantastic if there is no good MMA around, but you are not learnign how things can flow together between striking and grappling. Also some bjj gyms may lack in their teachign of takedowns or focus on sport bjj which is not always compatible with fighting (but you'll often find someone willing to train takedown with).

tl;dr :
Get strong and explosive
Learn to strike a bit, not get punched/kicked/kneed/elbowed
Set up the takedown if the other is not KO
Finish from the takedown ASAP
Next one

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Shotgun and GymCelNeckPill
I don't know if you are trolling with the judo comment. While it even allows to overcome size disadvantage (see akyiama vs lebanner in round 1) pretty efficiently, it's not even close to sufficient for all situations. It's infintely better than nothing though and a rather safe choice since you are not getting your brain nuked in training (although repeatedly doing takedowns are brutal as fuck). I did Judo as a child and used it with success in a few cases in fights when I was in middle and high school (lol). But if you open yourself and unfortunately eat a strong haymaker, cross, power punch, knee on the way you may be done ; if someone knows how to defend, prevent takedowns and has some follow up, or absolutely overpowers you, you are done. It's also limited in submissions, and the use of the gi is a bit limiting (though also useful). That being said you can definitely beat someone well versed in Muay thai with wrestling, maybe judo fundamentals if they know jack shit about grappling.

You need :
- Very, very solid striking, mostly fists. A single punch ends an attacker if powerful enough, and there are infinite set ups, even running backward (think check hooks). Unless you are an exceptional grappler that can ragdoll (strong wrestler, judokas can!) people one after another, it's much more safer to set up a KO (unless you are not powerful enough to, but it shall come). But you NEED to know how to deal with elbows, kicks, knees, and the clinch. I wouldn't recommend kicking in a streetfight but it's still a lethal/KO weapon if you know what to do. You need to know how to punch, dodge, evade, parry. And as you learn, merge these skills with the rest of MMA. You may also overcome size disadvantage with the right thing, like a good overhand with a set up/as a counter. Also traps, dealing with some handfighting sometime... This is almost mandatory if you have to fight more than one attacker (which is catastrophic but manageable)

- Takedowns. This is huge. There are a lot of cunts who train boxing, and if they have zero or limited wrestling, they will get slammed on their head, or back taken and choked, or thrown on the ground and g'n'ped. This is also an huge equalizer against rangier fighters and taller or even heavier+stronger opponents. You need to be able to reverse bad positions and get on your feet asap. One you know just a little bit of striking, and avoid shooting on the front leg/without a set up, know how to defend some strikes, this theoretically could be the only needed thing for 1, maybe 2 opponents. Wrestling takedowns would be my choice, but it can be more nuanced than that. A good wrestler that got in range will nuke most striker including muay thai (which I'm surprised is still so mentionned here, it's quite ab it nichy and was the rage 10 years ago).

-Grappling. This allows you to finish someone that vastly outskills anywhere else. The issue in street fights is that motherless bitch missed abortion cunts will come to kick you and so on. This is still something you need, urgently a few submission that are guaranteed to end a fight : choke, breaking arms or legs.

-Mass, aerobic ability and power. It's dissuasive + You absolutely need to get stronger, bigger while still maintaining an ok gas tank. There are plenty of ressource about this. A very single recipe would be phases (but concurrent can work) lifting for mass , then strength, and some plyometrics/ballistic thrown in. Any male around the average should be able to bench, row 130-150kg after 1-2, maybe 3 years with proper training, squat/deadlift 200-250kg+. With these numbers and the proper explosion training, you now have a chance against an overwhelming percentage of the population. If someone still outstrengths you, there is a high chance you'll outskill him. Neck work will also reduce the chance of concussions and co (but increase the risk of sleep apnea and maybe scalene hypertrophy fucks with blood flow to the brain, I dunno). You can look at shot put/discus thrower training, it's pretty similar to what you would benefit from. ( don't lift if you are not done growing, this is very important, IT CAN nuke the epiphsyes).

-If allowed in your country, whatever self defense weapon you can use within the law. And don't use it as a dissuasion tool if your life is not a risk. Follow the law and use your brain. Also maybe train some very instinctive weapon defense. Not the bullshit you'll see in some video. The stuff that can work, like 2 hands on his arm if he has a knife, etc...
-Social skills (optional, lmao, but you can defuse terrible situations)
-Know when to go away. You are not alpha if you end with your skull open on the ground. You are just dead.

Words of caution : any kind of striking training is a risk for lifelong damage to your brain. You can do very light striking (even mostly pad or faggot noodle work etc and still learn a bit, but you need a few real sparring session) Chokes in bjj may be too but there is a bit less evidence (hypoperfusion). You still have more chances of having a stroke , dissecting an artery... So if you follow bjj tap very early. Takedowns, contact in grappling can rattle your brain and being slammed will give you potentially extreme brain damage just as well as striking. If yo uare young be exceptionally considerate for your brain, you are not done developing.

Take all this maniac rambling and decide. If you are very concerned, I'd go to a quality MMA gym around you, and supplement with some stuff here and there. Overall the safest for your health would be a low risk choice like judo/bjj(no gi if you can, supplemented with takedown practice) and a little bit of striking. Wrestling if you have but it can be extremely though and actually kidna dangerous. The most efficient would be MMA IF the gym is good. Muay thai + Bjj is also fantastic if there is no good MMA around, but you are not learnign how things can flow together between striking and grappling. Also some bjj gyms may lack in their teachign of takedowns or focus on sport bjj which is not always compatible with fighting (but you'll often find someone willing to train takedown with).

tl;dr :
Get strong and explosive
Learn to strike a bit, not get punched/kicked/kneed/elbowed
Set up the takedown if the other is not KO
Finish from the takedown ASAP
Next one
Good post! Mirrin

Muay thai. It has it all. Punches, kicks, grappling and submissions.