Best non-LASIK Way To Get Rid of Glasses (visioncels gtfih)

H

half

வெயிட் திஸ் இஸ் இன் இங்கிலீஷ்?
Today I am going to be talking about Orthokeratology (orthoK) contact lenses.
For some people glasses look unbelievably ugly on their face. There a few ways to get around that and I will be listing out the pros and cons for each below:

Not wearing glasses and doing nothing else:
Only works if you have like a ±1.5 prescription, if you do then click off this.

Traditional contact lenses:
+No glasses look
-Annoying to deal with throughout the day and wearing them too long leads to irritation and dry eyes
-Can't do some activities like swimming with contacts in
+"Learning" curve for new users is easier (will explain later)
±Discipline is required (can't fall asleep in these, etc.)

OrthoK lenses:
+No glasses look
+Do not have to wear during the day
+Activities aren't hindered since you don't wear these during the day
-"Learning" curve is very steep for new users since OrthoK lenses are rigid unlike traditional contact lenses. This means that you will have to get used to putting hard plastic directly on your pupils as opposed to putting traditional contacts anywhere on your eye and moving it around to have it align itself.
+Less discipline is required than traditional lenses

I've Gone Over the Pros and Cons, but What Exactly are OrthoK Lenses?
Orthokeratology lenses are contact lenses that you wear overnight that shapes your cornea as you sleep. The following day you will have 20/20 vision, rinse and repeat. I have been using these lenses for over a year now and I like them very much. The price for orthoK lenses is initially higher since your ophthalmologist has to undergo specific training to be able to give out these types of lenses. The lenses themselves will last 1 year and it is recommended to replace them after that. For me they cost roughly $1500 initially since that includes the fitment process done by the ophthalmologist and the price of the lenses. When I get a new set I will just have to pay the price of the lenses. When I first got mine, it took about a week and a half for my eyes to fully get to 20/20 overnight. The reshaping doesn't happen in 1 night at first so your vision will be better but not perfect. Some things to look out for include the "halo" effect. This happens because the treatment area (the part of the lens that shapes your cornea) of an orthoK lens is smaller than the fully dilated part of your pupils. In low light environments you will see a double vision of clear vision with blurry vision sort of overlaid onto it. Ask your doctor to expand the treatment zone if this happens. In my case I got 3 replacement pairs during that troubleshooting process free of charge.

Overall, I really recommend these to someone who wants contacts. If you have any questions lmk
(p.s. sorry if this is shit, it is my first thread : P )

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: RealNinja, TheBrownOne, Hero of the Imperium and 1 other person
Today I am going to be talking about Orthokeratology (orthoK) contact lenses.
For some people glasses look unbelievably ugly on their face. There a few ways to get around that and I will be listing out the pros and cons for each below:

Not wearing glasses and doing nothing else:
Only works if you have like a ±1.5 prescription, if you do then click off this.

Traditional contact lenses:
+No glasses look
-Annoying to deal with throughout the day and wearing them too long leads to irritation and dry eyes
-Can't do some activities like swimming with contacts in
+"Learning" curve for new users is easier (will explain later)
±Discipline is required (can't fall asleep in these, etc.)

OrthoK lenses:
+No glasses look
+Do not have to wear during the day
+Activities aren't hindered since you don't wear these during the day
-"Learning" curve is very steep for new users since OrthoK lenses are rigid unlike traditional contact lenses. This means that you will have to get used to putting hard plastic directly on your pupils as opposed to putting traditional contacts anywhere on your eye and moving it around to have it align itself.
+Less discipline is required than traditional lenses

I've Gone Over the Pros and Cons, but What Exactly are OrthoK Lenses?
Orthokeratology lenses are contact lenses that you wear overnight that shapes your cornea as you sleep. The following day you will have 20/20 vision, rinse and repeat. I have been using these lenses for over a year now and I like them very much. The price for orthoK lenses is initially higher since your ophthalmologist has to undergo specific training to be able to give out these types of lenses. The lenses themselves will last 1 year and it is recommended to replace them after that. For me they cost roughly $1500 initially since that includes the fitment process done by the ophthalmologist and the price of the lenses. When I get a new set I will just have to pay the price of the lenses. When I first got mine, it took about a week and a half for my eyes to fully get to 20/20 overnight. The reshaping doesn't happen in 1 night at first so your vision will be better but not perfect. Some things to look out for include the "halo" effect. This happens because the treatment area (the part of the lens that shapes your cornea) of an orthoK lens is smaller than the fully dilated part of your pupils. In low light environments you will see a double vision of clear vision with blurry vision sort of overlaid onto it. Ask your doctor to expand the treatment zone if this happens. In my case I got 3 replacement pairs during that troubleshooting process free of charge.

Overall, I really recommend these to someone who wants contacts. If you have any questions lmk
(p.s. sorry if this is shit, it is my first thread : P )

View attachment 2455448
If you get good dailies, a lot of the cons are mitigated. I wear Acuvue Oasys dailies and honestly I've never felt irritated/dry eye asidde form a few faulty lenses (and you can tell immediately when they're fucked). Main con imo is that they're expensive, will cost you like 100$ a month. Falling asleep in them isn't too much of a big deal I think, just don't do it regularly or on purpose. Also you can definitely swim/shower with them even if the doctor tells you not to, just don't drown your eyes like a retard.

OrthoK sounds good but you have to sleep a certain amount of time every night for it to work, and if you forget/too busy you're stuck wearing glasses the next day. Also, there's a very real risk of infection fucking your eyes up.

Honestly I really might just get Lasik or PRK or smth, my friend told me his sister did LASIK and she said its the best thing she's ever done in her life.

• +1
Reactions: RealNinja and half
As a contact lens user this is a really cool thing I hadn't even heard of. Thank you

In Love Cat GIF

Can you elab on the price of normal vs orthokeratology lenses. How much is an year worth of each one.

Is the reshaping reliable? You said it doesn't work too well on the first day, but what about after that?

Any risks?

What does the research on this conclude?
For me it costs about $650 per year replacing the lenses. The reshaping process only takes about a week, after that it is overnight for me. I have worn them long enough to wear I can forget to wear them for a night and have clear vision the next day, but as it get later and later into the day (19:00ish) I can visibly notice my vision getting worse. I wear them again and the next day it's back to 20/20. I have a period where I was out of town and forgot to take them with me so I had to wear glasses for about 4 days. When I got back and wore them overnight I was back to 20/20 the next day as well. I think the longer you wear them the easier it is for your eyes to be shaped overnight.
risks:
"There is sufficient evidence to suggest that OrthoK is a safe option for myopia correction and retardation." It is about as risky as it sounds: contact lenses that you wear in your sleep. All the normal contact side effects (infections from improper hygiene while handling contacts, etc.) you could think of are present.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3105
If you get good dailies, a lot of the cons are mitigated. I wear Acuvue Oasys dailies and honestly I've never felt irritated/dry eye asidde form a few faulty lenses (and you can tell immediately when they're fucked). Main con imo is that they're expensive, will cost you like 100$ a month. Falling asleep in them isn't too much of a big deal I think, just don't do it regularly or on purpose. Also you can definitely swim/shower with them even if the doctor tells you not to, just don't drown your eyes like a retard.

OrthoK sounds good but you have to sleep a certain amount of time every night for it to work, and if you forget/too busy you're stuck wearing glasses the next day. Also, there's a very real risk of infection fucking your eyes up.

Honestly I really might just get Lasik or PRK or smth, my friend told me his sister did LASIK and she said its the best thing she's ever done in her life.
lasik or something similar is the plan for me when I am older and the "resiliency" of the eyes varies from person to person, if you're lucky you can miss 1 night and still have clear vision the next day