Braces for overbite?

EGGY 1671u32g

EGGY 1671u32g

mtn with height halo
I have a decent overbite which basically pushes my jaw back making me look like a chinlet. Im thinking of getting braces to fix this but ive heard people on here talk about dentists basically just pushing their maxilla back to make it inline with their jaw instead of bringing the jaw forward. Is there any form of braces or dental work that will bring my jaw forward to meet my maxilla?

Thank you in advance for any advice or recommendations

• +1
Reactions: likidizx
I have a decent overbite which basically pushes my jaw back making me look like a chinlet. Im thinking of getting braces to fix this but ive heard people on here talk about dentists basically just pushing their maxilla back to make it inline with their jaw instead of bringing the jaw forward. Is there any form of braces or dental work that will bring my jaw forward to meet my maxilla?

Overbite doesn't push anything back. Overbite is when your jaw is protruded. What you want is to make your second jaw protruded, too?

So, if that's your case, you wan your lower jaw to be protruded? If you look recessed now and you think overbite pushes your jaw backward, keep in mind the supposed recession will be solved once the protruded teeth are pulled back. Since the teeth are now protruded, this creates the impression the lower jaw is recessed. Here is an example of a before and after:

Once protrusion is fixed, both jaws are aligned and there is no more protrusion that creates the illusion that the non-preotruded jaw is recessed.

That's my opinion.

Also, you may upload a side profile picture, so we can rate you and give opinions about what you may look like when braces pull the protruded teeth back.

It's also good idea to consult with an orthodontist who also considers esthetics, too, not just straightening teeth.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 29581
Make sure u have an overbite and not an overjet

can i send u a pic on dms of my side profile?

braces won't grow your small jaws

surgery is the only option

Won't do shit. I still have an overbite.

I know for a fact that Invisalign can correct an overbite because I can literally feel the difference in my own teeth

Also, my dentist said that Invisalign corrects slight to moderate overbites but if there is a massive gap then it won't correct it

Im assuming braces are the same

Overbite doesn't push anything back. Overbite is when your jaw is protruded. What you want is to make your second jaw protruded, too?

View attachment 2305330

So, if that's your case, you wan your lower jaw to be protruded? If you look recessed now and you think overbite pushes your jaw backward, keep in mind the supposed recession will be solved once the protruded teeth are pulled back. Since the teeth are now protruded, this creates the impression the lower jaw is recessed. Here is an example of a before and after:

View attachment 2305337

Once protrusion is fixed, both jaws are aligned and there is no more protrusion that creates the illusion that the non-preotruded jaw is recessed.

That's my opinion.

Also, you may upload a side profile picture, so we can rate you and give opinions about what you may look like when braces pull the protruded teeth back.

It's also good idea to consult with an orthodontist who also considers esthetics, too, not just straightening teeth.
unfortunately the guy still looks recessed in the example, and his lip seal is also not very good

braces won’t affect jaw position (or bone length, for that matter) unless you’re still growing.

malocclusion can come from teeth alignment issues or from skeletal issues. In the latter, jaw surgery is probably a good idea. In the former, orthodontics alone can get it done (usually).

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 29581

View attachment 2305330

View attachment 2305337

That's my opinion.

i'm not an Expert but most of the time overbite means that the lower jaw Is recessed, not that the maxilla Is protruding

i'm not an Expert but most of the time overbite means that the lower jaw Is recessed, not that the maxilla Is protruding
so then your jaw May look aligned, but i think that also maxilla Will be recessed. But that's only my opinion, im not an expert

Is this fundamentally a skeletal issue?