BRAIN ANEURYSM STATISTICS AND FACTS

D

Deleted member 5815

all fictional scenarios and social experiment

Statistics and Facts​

• An estimated 6.7 million people in the United States have an unruptured brain aneurysm or 1 in 50 people.
  • The annual rate of rupture is approximately 8 – 10 per 100,000 people.
  • About 30,000 people in the United States suffer a brain aneurysm rupture each year. A brain aneurysm ruptures every 18 minutes.
  • Women are more likely than men to have a brain aneurysm (3:2 ratio).
  • Women, particularly those over the age of 55, have a higher risk of brain aneurysm rupture than men (about 1.5 times the risk).
  • African-Americans and Hispanics are about twice as likely to have a brain aneurysm rupture compared to whites.
  • There are almost 500,000 deaths worldwide each year caused by brain aneurysms, and half the victims are younger than 50.
  • According to a 2004 study, in the United States, the combined lost wages of survivors of brain aneurysm rupture and their caretaker for one year were $150 million.
  • Ruptured brain aneurysms are fatal in about 50% of cases. Of those who survive, about 66% suffer some permanent neurological deficit.
  • Approximately 15% of people with a ruptured aneurysm die before reaching the hospital. Most of the deaths are due to rapid and massive brain injury from the initial bleeding.
  • Brain aneurysms are most prevalent in people ages 35 to 60, but can occur in children as well. Most aneurysms develop after the age of 40.
  • Most aneurysms are small — about 1/8 inch to nearly one inch — and an estimated 50-80% of all aneurysms do not rupture.
  • Aneurysms larger than one inch are referred to as “giant” aneurysms. These can pose a particularly high risk and can also be difficult to treat.
  • Ruptured brain aneurysms account for 3-5% of all new strokes.
  • Among patients evaluated in an emergency department for headaches, approximately one in 100 has a ruptured aneurysm, according to one study. Another study puts the number at four in 100.
  • Accurate early diagnosis of a ruptured brain aneurysm is critical, as the initial hemorrhage may be fatal or result in devastating neurologic outcomes.
  • Despite the widespread availability of brain imaging that can detect a ruptured brain aneurysm, misdiagnosis or delays in diagnosis occur in up to one quarter of patients when initially seeking medical attention. In three out of four cases, misdiagnosis results from a failure to do a scan.

• +1
Reactions: Willmogulater and thecel
Very good thread. And a warning to gymcels. Straining during weightlifting elevates blood pressure, exacerbating aneurysms. Repeatedly, over time, it can result in rupturing.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: chadcel;, Deleted member 5815 and Willmogulater
lmao I used to be obsessed about brain aneurysms and thought I had one because I gave myself a concussion from bonesmashing and my head hurt for 3 months straight

• Woah
  • JFL
Reactions: thecel and chadcel;
in the United States
You had me worried for a sec good thing Im in Australia so it doesnt apply to me

• JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: czwarty, thecel and Deleted member 5815
Very good thread. And a warning to gymcels. Straining during weightlifting elevates blood pressure, exacerbating aneurysms. Repeatedly, over time, it can result in rupturing.
What do you mean by straining?
I heard weightlifting actually helps blood pressure in the long term

• Woah
Reactions: thecel