Can a deep bite fuck up chewing and/or thumbpulling?

JCaesar

JCaesar

ascend or rope
I have a deep bite, can that fuck up chewing progress? And thumbpulling?

get the deep bite fixed, thumbpulling is cope

How? Braces would recess my maxilla
if you truly want it fixed you need jaw surgery to realign your bite/jaws, but it depends how severe your deep bite is, i to have a deep bite but mine is really bad so i would need surgery where as you might not

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: humanoidsub7 and JCaesar
if you truly want it fixed you need jaw surgery to realign your bite/jaws, but it depends how severe your deep bite is, i to have a deep bite but mine is really bad so i would need surgery where as you might not
Isn't a deep bite caused by downgrowth/a bad maxilla though? Wouldn't that just be camouflage orthodontics?

• +1
Reactions: OutTheAbyss
Isn't a deep bite caused by downgrowth/a bad maxilla though? Wouldn't that just be camouflage orthodontics?
no i said jaw surgery not braces

• Hmm...
Reactions: JCaesar
But how would that fix the cause (downgrowth or maxilla) if it's just bringing the jaw forwards?
most deep bite patients don't have downward growth just recession, look up deep bite surgery before and after the patients in the before usually have a low gonial angle not a high one

• Woah
most deep bite patients don't have downward growth just recession, look up deep bite surgery before and after the patients in the before usually have a low gonial angle not a high one
Can you fix it without surgery in some way if your sutures are still open?

• +1
Reactions: OutTheAbyss
Can you fix it without surgery in some way if your sutures are still open?
dude get it out of your head about allthese things like mewing, thumbpulling etc, the only way to correct these kinds of issues is with surgery and palate expansion devices, anyone saying otherwise is an autist, i haven't seen any proof of mewing or thumbpulling working, you will need surgery if your deep bite is truly bad

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: A23ghskung and JCaesar
dude get it out of your head about allthese things like mewing, thumbpulling etc, the only way to correct these kinds of issues is with surgery and palate expansion devices, anyone saying otherwise is an autist, i haven't seen any proof of mewing or thumbpulling working, you will need surgery if your deep bite is truly bad
It doesn't seem too bad but I do have a high gonial angle idk if that can influence it?

I visited a bone surgeon once and he showed me a device which has the same logic as mewing but with way more strength and he confirmed it worked, so if downgrowth can affect it do you think that would help it in any way?

Mike mew suggested bringing the face up could fix it in a vid (altho didn't specify how he would do it)

Last edited:
Yes

• Hmm...
Mind explaining how exactly?
Maxilla rotation is different so TMJ is permanent until u fix it + the bite pressure is distributed differently throughout the skull which means little to none chance of successfully moving either of the jaws or the maxilla

• Hmm...
Maxilla rotation is different so TMJ is permanent until u fix it + the bite pressure is distributed differently throughout the skull which means little to none chance of successfully moving either of the jaws or the maxilla
Wdym but I don't have TMJ, just a deep bite. I'm getting myobraces to try and correct it but when I hard chew I can still feel all my facial chewing muscles being activated (masseters and temporalis), if the pressure is different would that not bring as much progress as a normal bite would or what?

Wdym but I don't have TMJ, just a deep bite. I'm getting myobraces to try and correct it but when I hard chew I can still feel all my facial chewing muscles being activated (masseters and temporalis), if the pressure is different would that not bring as much progress as a normal bite would or what?
If u don't have tmj thats great, try chewing something extremely hard like mastic gum tho. Temporalis and masseter muscle activation is supposed to happen despite the deep bite lol. Yes, progress is hindered unless you fix deep bite. Same applies to mewing. You might achieve masseter hypertrophy but no bone change.

• +1
If u don't have tmj thats great, try chewing something extremely hard like mastic gum tho. Temporalis and masseter muscle activation is supposed to happen despite the deep bite lol. Yes, progress is hindered unless you fix deep bite. Same applies to mewing. You might achieve masseter hypertrophy but no bone change.
Makes sense, thanks. I might have slight TMJ on one side cause I feel it making a weird sound but rn doesn't really hurt.
Also, if I'm still developing wouldn't masseter hypertrophy with chewing influence my bone development or would that also not happen due to the deep bite?

Makes sense, thanks. I might have slight TMJ on one side cause I feel it making a weird sound but rn doesn't really hurt.
Also, if I'm still developing wouldn't masseter hypertrophy with chewing influence my bone development or would that also not happen due to the deep bite?
I encourage you to try if you're able to (cuz why not) try not to damage the TMJ (or your jaw will be locked) but probably you need to fix the deep bite.

• +1