Can braces change nasal projection?

DelonLover1999

DelonLover1999

The Rotter's Club
I've had an overbite since I was around 12 or 13, basically my incisor's are kind of upturned and prominent, pushing the central's back a bit and also making my upper lip protrude more than the lower. I also have a nasal hump which I think was caused by me stopping to wear my braces after a few months (I had an unrelated injury and had to take them off for an mri scan), could be wrong here but none of my parents have it and I also never had it until age 15 or 16. I have an ortho appointment next week to resume my treatment.

So basically my question is, is it possible that the braces, given that they will alter the root of the teeth and "pull them back and down", also pull back a portion of nose cartilage? This is just my theory, and it's based solely on intuition. I've traced a profile picture of mine so you guys can kind of see the two scenarios I'm thinking could happen after the treatment (also a current one). First one is like I said, a bit less nose protrusion and a smaller hump (still there tho), and the other one is just pretty much the overbite fixed. I think the difference is not huge but noticeable. I know rhino could fix the hump but as you will see the main problem is the projection.

So which do you guys think is more likely? 1? 2? neither? somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance.

SIDENOTE: Obviously my jawline isn't this defined jfl, it's just to illustrate

Cur 01

sce1-01.png
sce2-01.png

Last edited:
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 15854 and Deleted member 1901
braces, if used during active maxillary growth, will recessed the lower part of the nose due to restricted horizontal maxillary growth, potentially forming a nasal hump or increasing convexity of the nose.

• +1
Reactions: Yoke, DelonLover1999 and Deleted member 15854
braces, if used during active maxillary growth, will recessed the lower part of the nose due to restricted horizontal maxillary growth, potentially forming a nasal hump or increasing convexity of the nose.
yup, happened to me also lower maxilla n flat phltrum nasoconcavity angle, brutal what i couldve been witjout but oh well

• So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 1901
yes, i’ve read that many times and it makes sense, but it’s not really my case. I barely used them, maybe 1 or 2 months max, then took them off. My question is basically: now that my maxilla is no longer actively growing, will the braces affect the nose projection (scenario 1, best case) or will they just pull back the upper lip and the nose is unaltered (scenario 2).

• +1
yes, i’ve read that many times and it makes sense, but it’s not really my case.
you can be recessed without braces. i never had braces on maxilla but am still recessed. recession affects the lower part more than the upper part, thus leading to a more convex nose. recession affects nose convexity or hump but so does genetics

now that my maxilla is no longer actively growing, will the braces affect the nose projection
scenario 2

yup, happened to me also lower maxilla n flat phltrum nasoconcavity angle, brutal what i couldve been witjout but oh well
brutal indeed. you couldve been more attractive. i can see your face would look good if developed properly. didnt you get extractions, or am i remembering incorrectly?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15854
you can be recessed without braces. i never had braces on maxilla but am still recessed. recession affects the lower part more than the upper part, thus leading to a more convex nose. recession affects nose convexity or hump but so does genetics

scenario 2
got it. is it actually possible to change the
nose projection some other way? rhino?

is it actually possible to change the
nose projection some other way?
lefort and rhino can change the nose

another, much less common, way is MSE + facemask. it pulls the maxilla and thus could affect nasal projection

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15854 and DelonLover1999
Help! I have braces at 18 to straighten my teeth and fix an overbite. Is my maxilla still growing and will they hinder it ??? Ortho wants to extract teeth and use elastics but I won’t let him!

lefort and rhino can change the nose

another, much less common, way is MSE + facemask. it pulls the maxilla and thus could affect nasal projection
bummer, guess I’ll have to settle for scenario 2 then. Its not that bad ig but 1 clearly mogs. thanks for the info, btw, quite helpful

• +1
brutal indeed. you couldve been more attractive. i can see your face would look good if developed properly. didnt you get extractions, or am i remembering incorrectly?
yup, only 12 teeth upper arch jfl :feelsgood::feelswhy:

• So Sad
They put on braces a wire that s smaller than ur arch and retroclined ur teeth into a straighter arch, u lost some mass on ur alveola and was pushed back a bit but I dont think braces without extracting and retractive methods can cause this.

They put on braces a wire that s smaller than ur arch and retroclined ur teeth into a straighter arch, u lost some mass on ur alveola and was pushed back a bit but I dont think braces without extracting and retractive methods can cause this.
I did more research and apparently what I have is called overjet and not overbite. Are you’re saying that the braces i had briefly when younger caused my alveola to be pushed back, or that they will once i start using them again?

I did more research and apparently what I have is called overjet and not overbite. Are you’re saying that the braces i had briefly when younger caused my alveola to be pushed back, or that they will once i start using them again?
The bluepilled ortho when they see that a patient have an overjet or a mix of overjet and overbite will think that the maxilla is the problem not the lower jaw so they will make the upper alveola smaller with a smaller arch and will usually retract it with rubber bands or any device like that to match the lower jaw.
The blackpilled ortho will let the maxilla how it is and try to find solutions for the lower jaw to come forward and be bigger so it will not touch the maxilla unlike the bluepilled ortho.
And as how u describe the situation that u wore braces in young age(the effects will be faster and bigger), even 2 months of braces with a much much smaller arch than urs will make it like that.
U can pm me pics of how u looked pre braces and post braces if u want and some pics with ur before and after arches.

The bluepilled ortho when they see that a patient have an overjet or a mix of overjet and overbite will think that the maxilla is the problem not the lower jaw so they will make the upper alveola smaller with a smaller wire and will usually retract it with rubber bands or any device like that to match the lower jaw.
The blackpilled ortho will let the maxilla how it is and try to find solutions for the lower jaw to come forward and be bigger so it will not touch the maxilla unlike the bluepilled ortho.
And as how u describe the situation that u wore braces in young age(the effects will be faster and bigger), even 2 months of braces with a much much smaller arch than urs will make it like that.
U can pm me pics of how u looked pre braces and post braces if u want and some pics with ur before and after arches.
wire i meant not arch, corrected.

The thing that pushes your soft tissue nose away from the nasal bridge bone is your anterior nasal spine. Your anterior nasal spine is on top of your maxilla, if anything happens to make your maxilla recessed, then your nose will be "recessed" too. Braces in kids under 12 can cause recessed jaws depending on stuff.

Braces on an adult arent gonna move the Anterior Nasal Spine, the worse that can happen if your teeth are moved back and so your upper lip moves back.

The bluepilled ortho when they see that a patient have an overjet or a mix of overjet and overbite will think that the maxilla is the problem not the lower jaw so they will make the upper alveola smaller with a smaller arch and will usually retract it with rubber bands or any device like that to match the lower jaw.
pre braces i basically had no nasal hump, but my incisor were already more prominent than centrals, so the upper lip sat more forward then the lower one. I get what you’re saying about the mandible,
The thing that pushes your soft tissue nose away from the nasal bridge bone is your anterior nasal spine. Your anterior nasal spine is on top of your maxilla, if anything happens to make your maxilla recessed, then your nose will be "recessed" too. Braces in kids under 12 can cause recessed jaws depending on stuff.

Braces on an adult arent gonna move the Anterior Nasal Spine, the worse that can happen if your teeth are moved back and so your upper lip moves back.
I guess that answers the question completely. Scenario 2 is what will happen, like ekil pointed out. Thanks for clarifying.