can invisalign expand the maxilla forwards?

sandcelmuttcel

sandcelmuttcel

Kraken
tittle

• JFL
Reactions: Chadrapist, datboijj and magnificentcel
cage2.gif

• JFL
Reactions: Chadrapist and randomuser2407
JoinedApr 7, 2020Posts5,409Time online82d 9h 39m

wtf im trying to get few mm of forwards expansion tell me why invisalign would be a dumb idea/suggestion
They only move the teeth. If you want a few mms only and not a le fort your only choice is MSE + BOLLARDS.

• +1
Reactions: randomuser2407
They only move the teeth. If you want a few mms only and not a le fort your only choice is MSE + BOLLARDS.
well mse is for transverse expansion don't see how it would help with forward and bollards are used for 12 year olds.

well mse is for transverse expansion don't see how it would help with forward and bollards are used for 12 year olds.
bollards and facemasks won't work on adults unless you split your skull apart with MSE, then they can protract even in adults

Invisalign is just an alternative for braces, it's not going to achieve the same results as a jaw surgery.

If you're recessed or have an underbite and live in Canada, your insurance could pay for most of your double jaw surgery so you could afford it.

For poor people in the USA though, it's probably much more difficult, but if you live with your parents, you can still save up the amount of money necessary since it's only around 5000$.

• +1
Reactions: Chadrapist and Deleted member 10172
Invisalign is just an alternative for braces, it's not going to achieve the same results as a jaw surgery.

If you're recessed or have an underbite and live in Canada, your insurance could pay for most of your double jaw surgery so you could afford it.

For poor people in the USA though, it's probably much more difficult, but if you live with your parents, you can still save up the amount of money necessary since it's only around 5000$.
my recession is small and i don't have underbite, i have overbite but i want to expand a little to achieve optimal side profile in combination with BSSO.
i don't live in Canada i live in Greece and there's no such thing as insurance for malocclusion.

bollards and facemasks won't work on adults unless you split your skull apart with MSE, then they can protract even in adults
how though, i don't see how it will help anatomically. You will get two pieces of bone that are now separated but you are trying to expand them forward how does that help?

my recession is small and i don't have underbite, i have overbite but i want to expand a little to achieve optimal side profile in combination with BSSO.
i don't live in Canada i live in Greece and there's no such thing as insurance for malocclusion.
You need a jaw surgery, that is the only way to really fix your problem.

You need a jaw surgery, that is the only way to really fix your problem.
yeah i'm already getting lower jaw surgery, i think upper jaw surgery (le fort 1) would be overkill though as i only need 4 mm of expansion.

@copingvolcel 4mm MAX, it is more than enough.

how though, i don't see how it will help anatomically. You will get two pieces of bone that are now separated but you are trying to expand them forward how does that help?
Well the reason you can't expand adults is that everything is solidified. Once you loosen the structure you can get some minor forward expansion. Not as much as in kids. I mean if you've looked at Ronald Ead's videos Dr. Ting said he routinely gets about 2mm in adult men with a simple facemask. You should not be expecting much more though. If you want a large expansion le fort might be the only option.

What is weird is that you thought a piece of plastic aka invisilign could move your entire maxilla forward yet you doubt that surgically installed titanium miniplates can.

• +1
Reactions: sandcelmuttcel
Well the reason you can't expand adults is that everything is solidified. Once you loosen the structure you can get some minor forward expansion. Not as much as in kids. I mean if you've looked at Ronald Ead's videos Dr. Ting said he routinely gets about 2mm in adult men with a simple facemask. You should not be expecting much more though. If you want a large expansion le fort might be the only option.

What is weird is that you thought a piece of plastic aka invisilign could move your entire maxilla forward yet you doubt that surgically installed titanium miniplates can.
but you did not explain how splitting the middle suture would help.
well you are correct, you found gap in my logic. it stems from the bollards being used for children and not for adults unlike invisalign, but if bollards wont work on adults then invisalign sure as hell wont work either.

Last edited:

well the thing you said about Dr. Ting is interesting. if i may be able to visit him someday do you think he will offer to expand my upper jaw if i have no underbite? and do you know what's the upper limit of expansion?

but you did not explain how splitting the middle suture would help.
well you are correct, you found gap in my logic. it stems from the bollards being used for children and not for adults unlike invisalign, but if bollards wont work on adults then invisalign sure as hell wont work either.
There is a study or two comparing bollards and the facemask with hyrax (all children) and the bollards do better. I am not aware of anyone combining it with MSE except for @Sergio-OMS . Sergio himself said that he only gets 2-3mms with it (has to be done with MSE which weakens all sorts of sutures in the face) and that if you want more you should to a le fort. Apparently it's really hard to expand adults without a surgery so you should not expect much.

• +1
Reactions: sandcelmuttcel
There is a study or two comparing bollards and the facemask with hyrax (all children) and the bollards do better. I am not aware of anyone combining it with MSE except for @Sergio-OMS . Sergio himself said that he only gets 2-3mms with it (has to be done with MSE which weakens all sorts of sutures in the face) and that if you want more you should to a le fort. Apparently it's really hard to expand adults without a surgery so you should not expect much.
3mm would be enough for my case thanks for the info.