Can you eat too much potassium from food (no supplements)?

T

theanonymousone

Bronze
Let's say someone has normal kidney function, can you overdose on potassium just from food alone? I know potassium supplements are controlled because ODing can give you irregular heartbeat and nasty stuff like that.

So I can eat like 3 or 4 of an average bunch of spinach, boiled, a day? Or a couple of those pre-washed bags of spinach? Along with salmon, kale, avocados, etc.?

Very unlikely to "overdose" on potassium from food. You could probably eat 30 bananas in a day and be fine but I don't see why someone would do that

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6423 and theanonymousone
You know in some parts of India, when they want to get rid of old and disabled people, they just give them coconut water until they die from too much potassium.

• Woah
  • JFL
Reactions: Tallooksmaxxer, Deleted member 6423, theanonymousone and 3 others
  • +1
Reactions: Lawton88
Wait it says "2.5 litres of orange juice (potassium concentration 450 mg/l) per day", that's only 1,125 mg of potassium? That can't be right, the recommended daily intake is 3,500–4,700 mg a day?
is that blood levels
idk tbh

• +1
Reactions: theanonymousone
is that blood levels
idk tbh
I dunno it said blood levels were like 9 or something I forgot the measurement, but everything I have seen seems to suggest that between 3,600-4,700 mg per day of potassium from food is needed (if your kidneys are healthy).

• +1
Reactions: sandcelmuttcel
You know in some parts of India, when they want to get rid of old and disabled people, they just give them coconut water until they die from too much potassium.
South India is subhuman man. It's the High Potassium along with bad renal function of the elderly which causes it along with other shit like head massages with cold water which can drop body temperature and assist in getting some heart failure.

This shit is in elderly tho bro remember

Wait it says "2.5 litres of orange juice (potassium concentration 450 mg/l) per day", that's only 1,125 mg of potassium? That can't be right, the recommended daily intake is 3,500–4,700 mg a day?
209.6 mg
Potassium
Orange juice

100 ml (104.8 g)

Cup =/= liter :feelshah:

• +1
Let's say someone has normal kidney function, can you overdose on potassium just from food alone? I know potassium supplements are controlled because ODing can give you irregular heartbeat and nasty stuff like that.

So I can eat like 3 or 4 of an average bunch of spinach, boiled, a day? Or a couple of those pre-washed bags of spinach? Along with salmon, kale, avocados, etc.?
Yes

• +1
nah youll be fine

youd have problems with oxalate before you oded on potassium with that much spinach

• +1
nah youll be fine

youd have problems with oxalate before you oded on potassium with that much spinach

Yeah that's why I boil it for a little bit