Chronic red eyes

D

Deleted member 5393

Kraken
I took accutane for 1 year for acne. ppl here said my eyes were red so i stopped using it 4 months ago.

ever since i started taking accutane my eyes have been bloodshot. i visited the eye doctor who gave me antibiotics + cortisone drops. It has gotten better past months but its still noticeable up close.

I dont use contact lenses
i use lipid eye drops 2x a day + cortisone drops
i sleep 8hr

Doctor said it was meibomian gland dysfunction, ive tried massaging eyelids but havnt seen any results.

anyone know anything about this.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 9852 and MentalistKebab
Been using Accutane for 2 months now and still no sign of this

I took accutane for 1 year for acne. ppl here said my eyes were red so i stopped using it 4 months ago.

ever since i started taking accutane my eyes have been bloodshot. i visited the eye doctor who gave me antibiotics + cortisone drops. It has gotten better past months but its still noticeable up close.

i sleep 8hr

Doctor said it was meibomian gland dysfunction, ive tried massaging eyelids but havnt seen any results.

Did accutane worked tho ?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5393
I have had the same problem for many years. It is possible that the damage is permanent. Buy eye drops with sodium hyaluronate and eye ointment with vitamin A

• +1
Reactions: Iplaysoccer

i sleep 8hr

What idiot gives you antibiotics for an allergic reaction? Get probiotics asap and let your gut heal from all that crap.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7901 and Deleted member 9852
What idiot gives you antibiotics for an allergic reaction? Get probiotics asap and let your gut heal from all that crap.
How is it an allergic reaction? I already tried allergy eye drops it didnt work

doctor said it was posterior blepharitis

Anti inflammatory diet

orbital decompression will cure this

How is it an allergic reaction? I already tried allergy eye drops it didnt work

doctor said it was posterior blepharitis
Yes because the allergy was coming from the inside. Accutane fucked something up inside. You don’t treat that with antibiotics, that wasn’t an infection. Your doctor is an idiot.

What you should’ve done was test your urine, poop, blood and look at the results and then take the vitamins that you were deficient in.

see if your air is clean. If there’s a lot of dust or mold or pollen you could have an allergic reaction to it.

edit: your symptoms could have reduced your immunity in your eyes so it is possible they have become more sensitive to the air.

Last edited:
Do you get allergies this time of year?

I dont really feel any symptoms except that the blood vessels are visible. Maybe eyes are a bit more dry than usual.

Well, isotretinoin is poison. There is a reason why you don't use tretinoin in your eyelids, it can dissecate your meibomian glands for good. You might have dissecated your glands, i don't know if they recover. You should tell your eye doctor that you used isotret.

• +1
Reactions: Schizoidcel
Yes because the allergy was coming from the inside. Accutane fucked something up inside. You don’t treat that with antibiotics, that wasn’t an infection. Your doctor is an idiot.

What you should’ve done was test your urine, poop, blood and look at the results and then take the vitamins that you were deficient in.
Stop talking shit stupid greycel, you must be a nigger, you know nothing.

• JFL
Reactions: goat2x
I dont really feel any symptoms except that the blood vessels are visible. Maybe eyes are a bit more dry than usual.
That's just dry eye, your cornea is creating new blood vessels to compensate for the lack of hydration, if it's not permanent already, it will be unless you keep moisturizing big time.
I do PRP myself and the PPP i use it for eyedrops.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: goat2x and EverythingMattersCel
Why didn't you post a picture? Seems like such an simple and useful thing to do, now it's just pure fantasy, figuring over whatever that you might or might not have.
Imo I also have red/blood shot eyes and I had them for essentially forever. Maybe since 12 y/o or even earlier. Nobody has ever said anything, so figured it might be ok/normal. Though at the back of my head it always bothered me.
IMG 20201117 234843

If anyone knows if this is easily fixable, I'd appreciate.

Why didn't you post a picture? Seems like such an simple and useful thing to do, now it's just pure fantasy, figuring over whatever that you might or might not have.
Imo I also have red/blood shot eyes and I had them for essentially forever. Maybe since 12 y/o or even earlier. Nobody has ever said anything, so figured it might be ok/normal. Though at the back of my head it always bothered me.
View attachment 810798
If anyone knows if this is easily fixable, I'd appreciate.
"That's just dry eye, your cornea is creating new blood vessels to compensate for the lack of hydration, if it's not permanent already, it will be unless you keep moisturizing big time."
Unless it's an allergy you just have dry eye and new blood vessels to compensate for it, if you use the computer a lot that's one cause of it (not blinking enough). It's permanent unless there is a procedure to erase the new vessels (and you fix your dry eye), which i haven't looked into.

• +1
Reactions: goat2x and Deleted member 10536
"That's just dry eye, your cornea is creating new blood vessels to compensate for the lack of hydration, if it's not permanent already, it will be unless you keep moisturizing big time."
Unless it's an allergy you just have dry eye and new blood vessels to compensate for it, if you use the computer a lot that's one cause of it (not blinking enough). It's permanent unless there is a procedure to erase the new vessels (and you fix your dry eye), which i haven't looked into.
It doesn't change at all over the years. It doesn't go in waves or reduce/increase. It's as if it's stuck like that forever. Yes, I used to use a lot of computers/reading, etc. But also had big breaks(months long) with not even a tiny change in the eyes. I don't feel my eyes being dry, or anything really. They seem just fine, so that's one of the reasons I never tried doing anything.
All this is just my pure subjective perception though.
I'll look into eye moisturisers, might even go ask some eye doctor.
I saw your post, ye. Thanks.

Stop talking shit stupid greycel, you must be a nigger, you know nothing.
Yeah, as a person who had red eyes and doesn’t have them anymore I must be full of shit.

Yeah, as a person who had red eyes and doesn’t have them anymore I must be full of shit.
" Yes because the allergy was coming from the inside. Accutane fucked something up inside. "
There is a thousand reasons why you can have red eyes. One thing is having allergic conjunctivitis and another thing is having accutane fucking the glands that produce the lipids in your tears and getting dry eye due to it.
And how the fuck are you fixing allergies with vitamins? you are a walking meme, you have the bare minimum intelligence to survive throughout the day.

Well, isotretinoin is poison. There is a reason why you don't use tretinoin in your eyelids, it can dissecate your meibomian glands for good. You might have dissecated your glands, i don't know if they recover. You should tell your eye doctor that you used isotret.

Topical retinoids can do this as well. I never put it directly near my eyelids and it still travelled there and gave me eye issues (extreme dryness, redness, pain that travelled all the way to my face/neck/temples, increase in floaters, it's like my eyes can't make tears naturally anymore).
I've actually used retinoids (starting with generic retinol, then moved to 0.025 tretinoin) for more than a year and never made a direct link because it progressively got worse, and I was blaming minoxidil or the other stuff I'm using as well.

But be careful boyos, this is not often talked about but it is very real:

After a week off all retinoids my eyes & pain seem to be slowly getting better, I hope I didn't do permanent damage.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: TITUS
Topical retinoids can do this as well. I never put it directly near my eyelids and it still travelled there and gave me eye issues (extreme dryness, redness, pain that travelled all the way to my face/neck/temples, increase in floaters, it's like my eyes can't make tears naturally anymore).
I've actually used retinoids (starting with generic retinol, then moved to 0.025 tretinoin) for more than a year and never made a direct link because it progressively got worse, and I was blaming minoxidil or the other stuff I'm using as well.

But be careful boyos, this is not often talked about but it is very real:

After a week off all retinoids my eyes & pain seem to be slowly getting better, I hope I didn't do permanent damage.
Yeah, one of the warnings is not to use tret around eyes for this and other reasons. I don't use it on eyelids and im fine, there is like 1 cm distance, which should be enough.

• +1
Reactions: Schizoidcel
Yeah, one of the warnings is not to use tret around eyes for this and other reasons. I don't use it on eyelids and im fine, there is like 1 cm distance, which should be enough.

I never used within 3 centimeters of my eyes and it still travelled there somehow. If I use it again I'll be even more careful for sure.

• +1
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS
Check for visual signs of diagniostic expression of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Image asset

• +1
Reactions: ToursOverBoyo2020
My eyes have done this since i switched brands of isotretinoin 3 months in (from oratane to apo-isotretinoin) yet my dermatologist insists this wouldnt occur due to switching brands.