Classic music megathread

Psychophilly

Psychophilly

Oxytocin explosion
Share your recent favorite classic music in here.
(holy fuck all performances of this part is dogshit in youtube, coudn't find a better one)
i just like the allegreto part

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 25938
Gymnopedie no 1 best tbh

• +1
Reactions: Psychophilly
  • Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 25938, HarrierDuBois and Deleted member 24712
classic

• JFL
  • Ugh..
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 25938, Xangsane, Deleted member 26642 and 1 other person

Not Listening Dumb And Dumber GIF

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 16369 and john2

Bird Rocking Out GIF

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 25938 and Psychophilly

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 16275, Deleted member 25938 and HarrierDuBois
Didnt you get sucked off by a guy?

• +1
  • WTF
Reactions: GetShrekt and Psychophilly
No disrespect

• +1
Reactions: GetShrekt

• Love it
  • +1

• +1
  • Love it
jupiter is feminine, mars is muscular
True, but during the drop Jupiter is the universe, your life flashing before your eyes, gratitude.
Press the timestamp.

• +1
Gymnopedie no 1 best tbh
Kingly taste
Problem is I used to listen to all the gymnopedies while I did problems sets for uni so now whenever I listen to them I have PTSD flashbacks to sitting in the library for six hours

John Dowland lute shit is a vibe

Allegri Miserere is the most objectively beautiful piece of music ever created and it's not close

Tocatta arpegiatta is a vibe

Schubert am see/der fluss/wanderer/standchen/obviously ave Maria are the shit

Spem in allium done by tallis scholars

Liszt - liebestraum

Julian bream doing bach or really anything tbh

Agni parthene

Josef Hofmann playing Chopin nocturne in c minor, his other performances on YouTube are hit and miss between genius and just ok

A lot of the super popular commonly known shit is actually really good unlike most other genres too

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 24712, gymmaxedhorse and Psychophilly
True, but during the drop Jupiter is the universe, your life flashing before your eyes, gratitude.
Press the timestamp.

greatness, glory and wrathful. this part, could represent the final challenge of life, death.

• Woah
Reactions: HarrierDuBois
Kingly taste
Problem is I used to listen to all the gymnopedies while I did problems sets for uni so now whenever I listen to them I have PTSD flashbacks to sitting in the library for six hours

John Dowland lute shit is a vibe

Allegri Miserere is the most objectively beautiful piece of music ever created and it's not close

Tocatta arpegiatta is a vibe

Schubert am see/der fluss/wanderer/standchen/obviously ave Maria are the shit

Spem in allium done by tallis scholars

Liszt - liebestraum

Julian bream doing bach or really anything tbh

Agni parthene

Josef Hofmann playing Chopin nocturne in c minor, his other performances on YouTube are hit and miss between genius and just ok

A lot of the super popular commonly known shit is actually really good unlike most other genres too
classic enjoyer spotted, cares about who performed the piece. mirin

• +1
Reactions: Cali Yuga
Truly ingenious music.
this performance was dogshit tho. i found a good performance a while ago, don't know where i saved it. it has a very hard trumpet part that only few experts in the world can perform.

• +1
Reactions: gymmaxedhorse and HarrierDuBois
Thoughts on Scriabin's Prometheus?

I've noticed in general that Scriabin has amassed quite the following by classical musicians in recent years.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: john2 and Psychophilly

I've noticed in general that Scriabin has amassed quite the following by classical musicians in recent years.

i have to listen full later.

• +1

You have a great taste. I really love that hypnotizing, 10-second long theme (starting at 2:00 till 2:10). Scriabin described this contemplative theme as the 'theme of the mind'. It sounds extremely aesthetic. This orchestral work is a real masterpiece. I don't have the right or an enough amount of words to describe & appreciate this piece. It's really music from a different world because of the harmonies, it's ethereal. The climaxes in this piece almost sound apocalyptic.

No surprise since this piece was meant to be an introductory prelude to Scriabin's magnum opus, The Mysterium, which according to his sick fantasy, when performed, would bring this world to an end and replace it with higher spiritual beings. It's a crazy philosophical aspect. Nevertheless, the music is very convincing, makes a lot of sense and is addictive to the trained musician's ear, well at least to mine. This piece is built on only a 6 note chord and the harmonic language is so advanced, idk if I will even be able to summarize it all in a readable post if I started analyzing it. Pure genius imo, one of the most inspired works of music ever written.

There's this really cool short analysis video (though only on the first few bits of this piece) on this. It would probably look like autism if you don't know music theory. But it's helpful if you're trying to understand what is going on, especially if you're a composer. I'm happy to see this composer is gaining more and more popularity. He was truly talented.

• Love it
Think of it as the darker, more fiery counterpart to the Poem of Ecstasy.
What's your favorite recording of the Poem of Ecstasy? Mine is the well-known recording by the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy. It's one of the shortest and faster recordings, and I like it this way. Pierre Boulez's version is too slow and doesn't respect the score imo, I don't get why it is the most popular recording.

• +1
You have a great taste. I really love that hypnotizing, 10-second long theme (starting at 2:00 till 2:10). Scriabin described this contemplative theme as the 'theme of the mind'. It sounds extremely aesthetic. This orchestral work is a real masterpiece. I don't have the right or an enough amount of words to describe & appreciate this piece. It's really music from a different world because of the harmonies, it's ethereal. The climaxes in this piece almost sound apocalyptic.

No surprise since this piece was meant to be an introductory prelude to Scriabin's magnum opus, The Mysterium, which according to his sick fantasy, when performed, would bring this world to an end and replace it with higher spiritual beings. It's a crazy philosophical aspect. Nevertheless, the music is very convincing, makes a lot of sense and is addictive to the trained musician's ear, well at least to mine. This piece is built on only a 6 note chord and the harmonic language is so advanced, idk if I will even be able to summarize it all in a readable post if I started analyzing it. Pure genius imo, one of the most inspired works of music ever written.

There's this really cool short analysis video (though only on the first few bits of this piece) on this. It would probably look like autism if you don't know music theory. But it's helpful if you're trying to understand what is going on, especially if you're a composer. I'm happy to see this composer is gaining more and more popularity. He was truly talented.

Yeah, there's just something so mysterious about the slow/transitional portions of this piece, and as you said, the climaxes are just so apocalyptic and, frankly, tear-jerking, like the emotions you feel if you were in a desert searching for water and seeing mirages or searching in a crowded train station for a long-lost lover.

Although the Prefatory Act to the Mysterium is largely characteristic of Alexander Nemtin's style as opposed to Scriabin, we can only be thankful that the former was able to provide to posterity a rendition of what the Mysterium would've been like. If you listen throughout the whole Act, Nemtin sneaks in all of Scriabin's Op. 74 preludes in there, which I've played before. I think what makes Prometheus, Mysterium, and all of Scriabin in general so tantalizing to the (trained) ear is primarily the iteration of all of the Mystic Chords (that 6-note chord you're referring to). My hypothesis to the euphonics of it is akin to a diminished chord consisting of two tritones separated by an interval of a minor third; the root inversion of the Mystic Chord is laid out in intervals of unis - TT - m3 - TT - P4 - P4, and I think the quartal harmony gives it that quasi-pentatonic, "foreign" sound (given the near cultural ubiquity of the pentatonic scale).

Prometheus in itself has quite a bit of interesting lore to it. For instance, there is the incorporation of the luce, the light organ, which launches us into the world of Scriabin's theosophic, "synesthetic" beliefs. Another story is how that during the premiere of the piece, a woman suffered a heart attack and died. However "out there" or even megalomaniacal Scriabin may have been, I agree that he is one of the best western composers of all time, if not one of my favorites.

If you like late Scriabin, I highly recommend you take a listen to the works of Nikolai Roslavets, who would have been known as the Russian successor to both Scriabin and Arnold Schoenberg but unfortunately was persecuted by the USSR and thus lost many of his manuscripts. I also recommend you listen to Beethoven's Grosse Fuge; it's an equally fascinating piece (it sounds like it was composed 100+ years ahead of its time) and there are a bunch of analysis videos for the piece.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: john2
What's your favorite recording of the Poem of Ecstasy? Mine is the well-known recording by the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy. It's one of the shortest and faster recordings, and I like it this way. Pierre Boulez's version is too slow and doesn't respect the score imo, I don't get why it is the most popular recording.
I think I prefer the Ashkenazy/BRSO rendition as well. I also think that many listeners think that the Boulez version of Prometheus (the video I linked) is also too slow for their liking, preferring Valery Gergiev's rendition instead.

• +1
listening to Bach’s Magnicat right now

• +1
classic enjoyer spotted, cares about who performed the piece. mirin
people dont realize how much this matters for classical music

especially interesting with older pieces where there are no recording contemporaneous with the life of the composer

Composer cant write down 100% precisely how something was intended to sound or be played so there is much room for interpretation by individual performers. There is much artistry in this

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 25938, john2 and Psychophilly
Although the Prefatory Act to the Mysterium is largely characteristic of Alexander Nemtin's style as opposed to Scriabin, we can only be thankful that the former was able to provide to posterity a rendition of what the Mysterium would've been like.
Yeah. Apparently it took Alexander Nemtin 28 years to complete the Mysterium, which is insane considering how it is only around 3 hours in duration, not 168 hours long or something like that.

If you listen throughout the whole Act, Nemtin sneaks in all of Scriabin's Op. 74 preludes in there, which I've played before.
Yeah and Nemtin also managed to sneak in the 8th sonata in it, which works very well imo. Mogs me hard if you have actually played the opus 74 preludes before. The 5th prelude, which is the very last prelude of the opus 74 set is my favorite of the set. I do plan on learning it soon. Right now, I am learning the opus 9 nocturne and the opus 11 no. 14 prelude in E-flat minor, both these pieces are highly fun to play and listen to. Do you like Scriabin's early works more or his late works more? I think I prefer the early and middle period works a little more than the late works, but the late works are real innovative masterpieces which I highly enjoy listening to.

I think what makes Prometheus, Mysterium, and all of Scriabin in general so tantalizing to the (trained) ear is primarily the iteration of all of the Mystic Chords (that 6-note chord you're referring to). My hypothesis to the euphonics of it is akin to a diminished chord consisting of two tritones separated by an interval of a minor third; the root inversion of the Mystic Chord is laid out in intervals of unis - TT - m3 - TT - P4 - P4, and I think the quartal harmony gives it that quasi-pentatonic, "foreign" sound (given the near cultural ubiquity of the pentatonic scale).
Damn you know so much more about music and about Scriabin than me. Are you a professional who studied or is studying music or something? I haven't looked into the topic of quartal harmony yet, but I will soon to get a better understanding of it. My theory is still pretty weak, I'm still learning about diminished chords and polyrhythms and how to use them because I want to be a composer.

Prometheus in itself has quite a bit of interesting lore to it. For instance, there is the incorporation of the luce, the light organ, which launches us into the world of Scriabin's theosophic, "synesthetic" beliefs. Another story is how that during the premiere of the piece, a woman suffered a heart attack and died. However "out there" or even megalomaniacal Scriabin may have been, I agree that he is one of the best western composers of all time, if not one of my favorites.
She had a heart attack? No way that's crazy srs. Where did you read this? Speaking of favorite composers, who are your top 10 favorites? My favorite composer is Liszt. Then after Liszt, it is Scriabin in second place, Chopin in third place, Debussy, Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, Ravel, Schumann, Medtner and Brahms.

If you like late Scriabin, I highly recommend you take a listen to the works of Nikolai Roslavets, who would have been known as the Russian successor to both Scriabin and Arnold Schoenberg but unfortunately was persecuted by the USSR and thus lost many of his manuscripts. I also recommend you listen to Beethoven's Grosse Fuge; it's an equally fascinating piece (it sounds like it was composed 100+ years ahead of its time) and there are a bunch of analysis videos for the piece.
I already know about Roslavets didn't expect you to know about him ngl. His first sonata is so good, the harmonic language in it is like an even more darker and psychotic one compared to Scriabin. Roslavets' wife tried to hide away his manuscripts from the USSR officials iirc after his death. I listened to the Grosse Fugue once and I wasn't moved tbh. There are a lot of mixed opinions in the classical music community about this piece. I'll give it a listen again though.

• Love it
Yeah. Apparently it took Alexander Nemtin 28 years to complete the Mysterium, which is insane considering how it is only around 3 hours in duration, not 168 hours long or something like that.
Yeah, it's balls. Not to mention that he didn't even live to see its premiere jfl.

Yeah and Nemtin also managed to sneak in the 8th sonata in it, which works very well imo. Mogs me hard if you have actually played the opus 74 preludes before. The 5th prelude, which is the very last prelude of the opus 74 set is my favorite of the set. I do plan on learning it soon. Right now, I am learning the opus 9 nocturne and the opus 11 no. 14 prelude in E-flat minor, both these pieces are highly fun to play and listen to. Do you like Scriabin's early works more or his late works more? I think I prefer the early and middle period works a little more than the late works, but the late works are real innovative masterpieces which I highly enjoy listening to.
Oh, I didn't know he snuck in the 8th sonata, I guess I haven't listened to the whole thing closely enough.

I've played the whole set before and the 5th prelude was by far the most difficult. The 5 over 2 polyrhythm, having to differentiate voicings when some voices are octaves in the sopra range, and that doggone left hand stretch. Ironic, because Scriabin's left hand was the weaker one due to him injuring it in his youth.

I like Scriabin from all periods tbh, it's hard to choose just one. From a composer's standpoint, I'd say early for more straight-ahead romanticism, middle for still-tonal but unusual harmony, and late for more outright improvisatory stuff as well as some of my more "in vogue" compositions.

Damn you know so much more about music and about Scriabin than me. Are you a professional who studied or is studying music or something? I haven't looked into the topic of quartal harmony yet, but I will soon to get a better understanding of it. My theory is still pretty weak, I'm still learning about diminished chords and polyrhythms and how to use them because I want to be a composer.
I'm still in high school but I'd say I'm decently versed in music theory. I've written two research essays on music theory already, including one on free jazz. Quartal harmony is just the use of chords, be them blocked or broken, in intervals of perfect fourths (e.g., C - F - Bb). I still have a long way to go in that field though, so don't feel left behind or anything like that.

She had a heart attack? No way that's crazy srs. Where did you read this? Speaking of favorite composers, who are your top 10 favorites? My favorite composer is Liszt. Then after Liszt, it is Scriabin in second place, Chopin in third place, Debussy, Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, Ravel, Schumann, Medtner and Brahms.
I read it on Wikipedia lol, so take with that what you will.

Choosing favorite classical composers is difficult for me, but if I had to choose, I'd pick, in no particular order:

Scriabin
Chopin
Rachmaninoff
Bach
Beethoven
Penderecki
Stockhausen
Debussy
Ravel

I already know about Roslavets didn't expect you to know about him ngl. His first sonata is so good, the harmonic language in it is like an even more darker and psychotic one compared to Scriabin. Roslavets' wife tried to hide away his manuscripts from the USSR officials iirc after his death. I listened to the Grosse Fugue once and I wasn't moved tbh. There are a lot of mixed opinions in the classical music community about this piece. I'll give it a listen again though.
Yeah, the story of Roslavets was a tragic one. Thankfully he's gaining a renaissance today.

I find the Grosse Fuge interesting tbh. It's what led to me to discovering the likes of Penderecki, Stockhausen, and Ligeti, and eventually to free jazz. That piece, like many others, requires repeated listenings imo.

• +1
Oh, I didn't know he snuck in the 8th sonata, I guess I haven't listened to the whole thing closely enough.
Yeah. You'll hear the descending fourths in from the 8th sonata in the first movement, titled as 'Universe'.
Even the opus 73 no. 1 dance titled as 'Guirlandes' can be heard in this movement. It all surprisingly works.

I've played the whole set before and the 5th prelude was by far the most difficult. The 5 over 2 polyrhythm, having to differentiate voicings when some voices are octaves in the sopra range, and that doggone left hand stretch.
Brutal. It's sad to hear because I saw the score and even a synthesia video of this piece and I thought it was going to be easy. Almost everything Scriabin wrote is notoriously difficult. I was going to talk about the voicings as well, did you get them right? I listened to Stanislav Neuhaus play it, his interpretation is my favorite, I want to play this prelude like him.

Ironic, because Scriabin's left hand was the weaker one due to him injuring it in his youth.
I think you meant to say Scriabin's right hand was the weaker one. He injured his right hand playing Liszt's music in his youth, which is why he wrote the nocturne for the left hand alone. And this explains why the left hand passages in his music are so difficult.

Quartal harmony is just the use of chords, be them blocked or broken, in intervals of perfect fourths (e.g., C - F - Bb).
Interesting, so is Eb the next note in the sequence?

Scriabin
Chopin
Rachmaninoff
Bach
Beethoven
Penderecki
Stockhausen
Debussy
Ravel
Cool list. Scriabin, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Bach, Beethoven, Debussy and Ravel... I expected these composers to be in your list. But Stockhausen and Penderecki... I didn't expect. Do you like the 2nd Viennese school's music? I struggle to enjoy it.

• +1
Share your recent favorite classic music in here.
(holy fuck all performances of this part is dogshit in youtube, coudn't find a better one)
i just like the allegreto part

Classical music is the ideal genre for MYSTERIOUS n DARK BADBOYS.

@WayneSarcosuhus @Thomas DOM

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 23772

It was fantastic, its like composer is telling a story rather than playing sth entertaining.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: john2 and Deleted member 25938
Unrelenting romanticism (I think Bortkiewicz in general is very underappreciated)

Pensive, almost mystical