Cmv: transgender people make 0 sense to me.

D

Deleted member 4645

Retired
I know that im going to get so much hate for it, and so be it, thats my opinion and it will stay that way until someone changes it.

With that being said, i think that the transition from a man to a woman or the opposite doesn’t make sense. Because in this era, there are minimal differences between men and women in the real world (work, tasks, rights...). And i also think that the sexual experience of men and women aren’t that different. There might be a small difference, but i mean is it really worth it to go through that extremely painful surgery and go against the odds (even if they are low) of surgery failure?. Just for 10 minutes of pleasure a day or something.. i mean you can try maximize your pleasure in many other things, that involve lower risks and greater rewards.

A man trapped in a woman’s body and vice versa doesn’t really make sense too. What foes that mean?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: BigBiceps, Deleted member 6403, Deleted member 5522 and 1 other person
If there are other people you don't understand, the best thing to do is actually talk to those people, ask them questions, approach what they say with as open of a mind as you can possibly muster.

I'm not sure what your view here is, exactly. If your view is that you don't understand transgender people, well, that's pretty irrefutable based on what you said. It sounds like you have not had a lot of conversations with them, or else you wouldn't be as confused about all of this as you are. Nobody can convince you that you DO understand them since you obviously don't. People aren't transgender just because of a potential 10 minute experience.

Was your view, by chance, more along the lines of "transgenderism isn't real, and my primary argument supporting this view is that I personally don't understand them as people"?

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 6403 and Deleted member 5522
It's true trannies need to be curb stomped

• Love it
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: sytyl, Hozay, Deleted member 5522 and 2 others
If there are other people you don't understand, the best thing to do is actually talk to those people, ask them questions, approach what they say with as open of a mind as you can possibly muster.

I'm not sure what your view here is, exactly. If your view is that you don't understand transgender people, well, that's pretty irrefutable based on what you said. It sounds like you have not had a lot of conversations with them, or else you wouldn't be as confused about all of this as you are. Nobody can convince you that you DO understand them since you obviously don't. People aren't transgender just because of a potential 10 minute experience.

Was your view, by chance, more along the lines of "transgenderism isn't real, and my primary argument supporting this view is that I personally don't understand them as people"?

No my argument is that with the knowledge that u currently have about that issue, it makes no sense to me. Will be happy if you actually trued and change this

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5522
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 4645, Deleted member 5522 and Deleted member 6403
I know that im going to get so much hate for it, and so be it, thats my opinion and it will stay that way until someone changes it.

With that being said, i think that the transition from a man to a woman or the opposite doesn’t make sense. Because in this era, there are minimal differences between men and women in the real world (work, tasks, rights...). And i also think that the sexual experience of men and women aren’t that different. There might be a small difference, but i mean is it really worth it to go through that extremely painful surgery and go against the odds (even if they are low) of surgery failure?. Just for 10 minutes of pleasure a day or something.. i mean you can try maximize your pleasure in many other things, that involve lower risks and greater rewards.

A man trapped in a woman’s body and vice versa doesn’t really make sense too. What foes that mean?
Idc

• WTF
Reactions: Deleted member 4645 and Deleted member 5522
No my argument is that with the knowledge that u currently have about that issue, it makes no sense to me. Will be happy if you actually trued and change this

sometimes, it's ok to not understand someone. they're not hurting you, and they're trying to make sense of their own lives. understanding is not necessary for acceptance.

learn tolerance.

• +1
If there's minimal differences, I think that actually works against your case. The less differences, the more it makes sense someone could identify on the other side.

For example, let's say it's a scale. -10 - 0 = Female, 0 - 10 = male. If there's minimal differences, per your point, anyone in that -1 - 1 range could pretty realistically see themselves as being just on the other side of that spectrum. In that sense, it seems perfectly reasonable that a non-0% of those along that "equator" would identify more with one side of it than the other.

• +1
If there's minimal differences, I think that actually works against your case. The less differences, the more it makes sense someone could identify on the other side.

For example, let's say it's a scale. -10 - 0 = Female, 0 - 10 = male. If there's minimal differences, per your point, anyone in that -1 - 1 range could pretty realistically see themselves as being just on the other side of that spectrum. In that sense, it seems perfectly reasonable that a non-0% of those along that "equator" would identify more with one side of it than the other.

What difference does it make to identify as a man or a woman or a damn camel?. Doesn’t make sense to me

• +1
I get MtF. Life is so much easier. I hate trans people on IT who would make fun of incels for surgeries. The self awareness.

• +1
Reactions: JawGuyFatFaceGuy and Deleted member 5522
It’s grass is greener mentality but with more mental illness

• +1
What difference does it make to identify as a man or a woman or a damn camel?. Doesn’t make sense to me

Because it makes them feel better. Why do you need more than that? I personally feel better when I wear more fitted, nice clothing than baggy tee-shirts. Do you care about the logic behind that decision? If someone feels better to work out in the morning or sleep in, do you care about that decision? Then why care how someone else internalizes which side of that, again as you've already said, small difference between genders?

Lots of shit doesn't logically add up or make sense to me. Hell, most of how the rest of the world feels I find to be objectively flawed in their reasoning. I can still acknowledge the thought process that got them to their end destination, even if I think it was wrong the conclusion to draw though.

• +1

Because your identity is partly determined, enforced, and interpreted by others.

If you're not a camel, but everyone around you automatically saw you as a camel and (importantly) TREATED you as one, it would definitely make a difference in your life!

• +1
Think about some of your own identities:
  • Do you identify as black or white or something else?
  • Do you feel more at home on r/blackpeopletwitter or r/whitepeopletwitter
  • What country do you identify with?
  • What sports team do you identify with?
  • Do you feel like a toddler or a teenager or an adult?
If you followed sports team A, wouldn't it make more sense to wear the T-shirt of sports team A, or sports team B?
Assuming you're a guy, if you woke up wearing girl's clothes (a skirt, bra, and thongs, and a blouse) would you go to work wearing any of those clothes? Or would you like to take them off first? What if you were forced to wear girl clothes to work? Everyday? Would you feel the shame and embarassment or any other crippling emotions being forced to wear something you weren't comfortable with?
Everyone has many identities, in their brain. It dictates who they are, who they hang out with, what they wear, how they talk and act, and every other aspect of their life. It is not about sex, it is much more important than that. It is about every single social aspect of their entire life from when they start to discover who they are as a teenager until the day they die.
Everyone (except maybe psychopaths) mirrors their internal identities with how they act and present themselves externally.
Imagine you were a Manchester United supporter but woke up with Chelsea tattoos all over your body. You'd get that shit removed or drawn over with a Man U tattoo post haste.
What if you were forced by the law to wear a diaper every day but most people weren't? And you had to play with plastic toys and weren't allowed to play computer games or drink alcohol. You'd want that fixed right? You wouldn't want people treating you like a toddler because you don't identify as a toddler.
Imagine similarly that you were born in a body that doesn't align with your internal identity. You'd not feel like yourself. You'd want to get that shit fixed as best as possible. Every day you don't, you'd have to deal with crippling psychological issues not limited to anxiety, shame and depression. But if you get your external state aligned, you'd feel comfortable going outside and being yourself.

• +1
i would say that, yes you can have that opinion, but just because you don’t understand something doesn’t mean it shouldn’t happen.

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 6403
i would say that, yes you can have that opinion, but just because you don’t understand something doesn’t mean it shouldn’t happen.

Yeah, and thats why im here. Coz i dont understand why they do it

• +1
Reddit’s me

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4645
Yeah, and thats why im here. Coz i dont understand why they do it

how is someone supposed to change your mind then?

• +1
Trannies are fake news tbh

• Love it

• Do you feel more at home on /r/blackpeopletwitter or /r/whitepeopletwitter
If you followed sports team A, wouldn't it make more sense to wear the T-shirt of sports team A, or sports team B?

Assuming you're a guy, if you woke up wearing girl's clothes (a skirt, bra, and thongs, and a blouse) would you go to work wearing any of those clothes? Or would you like to take them off first? What if you were forced to wear girl clothes to work? Everyday? Would you feel the shame and embarassment or any other crippling emotions being forced to wear something you weren't comfortable with?

Everyone has many identities, in their brain. It dictates who they are, who they hang out with, what they wear, how they talk and act, and every other aspect of their life. It is not about sex, it is much more important than that. It is about every single social aspect of their entire life from when they start to discover who they are as a teenager until the day they die.

Everyone (except maybe psychopaths) mirrors their internal identities with how they act and present themselves externally.

Imagine you were a Manchester United supporter but woke up with Chelsea tattoos all over your body. You'd get that shit removed or drawn over with a Man U tattoo post haste.

What if you were forced by the law to wear a diaper every day but most people weren't? And you had to play with plastic toys and weren't allowed to play computer games or drink alcohol. You'd want that fixed right? You wouldn't want people treating you like a toddler because you don't identify as a toddler.

Imagine similarly that you were born in a body that doesn't align with your internal identity. You'd not feel like yourself. You'd want to get that shit fixed as best as possible. Every day you don't, you'd have to deal with crippling psychological issues not limited to anxiety, shame and depression. But if you get your external state aligned, you'd feel comfortable going outside and being yourself.

• +1

• Do you feel more at home on /r/blackpeopletwitter or /r/whitepeopletwitter

One way to look at it is, thinking of it like religion. It doesn't have to always make sense. I'm not 100% on the issue, but they're still people.

• +1
People don’t transition because they want to have a certain type of sexual experience, or because they want to occupy a different gender role. They transition because the way their body is causes them dysphoria, or because they experience euphoria when perceived as a different gender.

Your brain has an expectation of how your body should be. When someone has a limb amputated, for instance, they might still have a phantom limb; even though the person knows the limb isn’t there, it feels like it is, or should be, and they might even have pain or other sensations in the absent limb. Often, something like that is what’s happening with trans people; their brain expects there to be, say, a penis, even though the person knows it isn’t there, that causes distress, and the best way to alleviate that distress is to transition.

• +1
I want to start by saying that the gender gap is still very much an issue. It may not be as bad as it previously has been but it still is a thing.

Second I want to say that I sort of agree with you but for different reasons. From my understanding (which may be incomplete) why are we fighting for rights for people who believe that they are a different gender rather than fighting for both genders to be equal. It seems to me that if gender is defined as the social aspects of what are stereotypical of each sex, why are we prepetuating the stereotypes instead or closing the gap between genders in the first place. If the only difference between a man or a woman was the physical characteristics then what would be the point of being transgender?

Overall I have nothing against people acting like another gender stereotype I just don't get why that would mean that the person is that different gender.

I want to start by saying that the gender gap is still very much an issue. It may not be as bad as it previously has been but it still is a thing.

Second I want to say that I sort of agree with you but for different reasons. From my understanding (which may be incomplete) why are we fighting for rights for people who believe that they are a different gender rather than fighting for both genders to be equal. It seems to me that if gender is defined as the social aspects of what are stereotypical of each sex, why are we prepetuating the stereotypes instead or closing the gap between genders in the first place. If the only difference between a man or a woman was the physical characteristics then what would be the point of being transgender?

Overall I have nothing against people acting like another gender stereotype I just don't get why that would mean that the person is that different gender.

I agree with that. But to touch on the gender gap thing.. tbh i’m not so sure if it exists and to what extent, but i’ve never heard about someone changing their gender for it.

People don’t transition because they want to have a certain type of sexual experience, or because they want to occupy a different gender role. They transition because the way their body is causes them dysphoria, or because they experience euphoria when perceived as a different gender.

Your brain has an expectation of how your body should be. When someone has a limb amputated, for instance, they might still have a phantom limb; even though the person knows the limb isn’t there, it feels like it is, or should be, and they might even have pain or other sensations in the absent limb. Often, something like that is what’s happening with trans people; their brain expects there to be, say, a penis, even though the person knows it isn’t there, that causes distress, and the best way to alleviate that distress is to transition.

Gender dysphoria is a mental disorder for a reason. Top and bottom surgery is the way to correct it, along with (possible) medication.

• +1
I agree with that. But to touch on the gender gap thing.. tbh i’m not so sure if it exists and to what extent, but i’ve never heard about someone changing their gender for it.

While a lot of stuff has gotten better when it comes to the gender gap there are still things that are perpetuated especially in younger kids toys and among older generations. In my opinion do activities that tend to be associated with another gender does not make you that gender.

Gender dysphoria is a mental disorder for a reason. Top and bottom surgery is the way to correct it, along with (possible) medication.

You are wrong by definition.

Source: The NHS.

• +1

You are wrong by definition.

Source: The NHS.

Gender dysphoria is not a mental illness, but some people may develop mental health problems because of gender dysphoria.

• JFL
  • +1
I stand corrected! That definition makes perfect sense actually

So that we know where you are coming from, what texts about trans people have you read? Which books, articles, or other academic/journalistic texts inform your view here?

• +1
I get MtF. Life is so much easier. I hate trans people on IT who would make fun of incels for surgeries. The self awareness.
I think there are more mtf then ftm right?

So that we know where you are coming from, what texts about trans people have you read? Which books, articles, or other academic/journalistic texts inform your view here?

Transgender people are mentally ill.

• Love it
Both sexes have their own connotations and societal expectations. Males, for example, are expected to be "manly". Does manly have any meaning to you? It does for pretty much everyone. Yet, manliness is not the same as male. The reason we make a connection between male and manly/masculine is because those "manly" traits have been useful for males in carrying out the protector/provider role. This role was useful, it helped ensure human survival as a species. Now, the adaptations for this role remain in males; and the adaptations for "feminine" traits remain in females. They are no longer relevant in the way they used to be hundreds of thousands of years ago.
If evolution was much much faster, differences would've mostly evened out already. Women have jobs just like men now, yet they still don't have the "provider" role or anything else associated with what men have historically done. Since women get used to living with the roles associated with men, they may not want to associate with the roles of women anymore.
Similarly, although males no longer need to fulfil the role of provider, that's still what is expected in one form or another by society. If a male doesn't become rich or reputable or accomplished, for example, they'll be seen as "lesser" to a man who is all those. A woman doesn't need any of that to be socially accepted, or see themselves as successful.
It doesn't matter if they can technically do anything. People will see them as the sex they appear as, and by the associations of the gender with the sex that still linger.

• +1

It sounds like you’re a little bit confused here. Transgenderism, like other sexualities, isn’t a choice. A transgender person’s brain is physically wired more like the sex they identify as, so naturally they feel trapped in a body they don’t belong in.

• +1
Transgender people are mentally ill.

As someone who has lived as both this is not at all true. Living in the world as a man and as a woman have been very different experiences for me.

As a white, middle class person from a liberal background I have a lot of privaledge and as such haven't experienced much of a difference in terms of rights, but the way I'm perceived and social interactions are totally different. People's expectations of me are different and I'm treated differently.

What I think you should really take away though is that trans people transition because living as the gender that they were assigned at birth is detrimental to their mental health and transition is something that helps with this. You may not perceive a difference in the lived experiences of men and women but the fact that people do transition is testament to the fact that the difference is there.

@BigBiceps KNOWS A THING OR TWO

• JFL
  • +1
How does it not make sense? If you are a man, imagine you were forced to live like a woman by your parents, family, friends, etc. for your entire life. Or vice versa. Would you not want to live as you felt? As you wanted? As you were?
Futhermore, you said “just for 10 minutes of pleasure a day” but for some people, their sexuality is a more dominant/important part of their life and personality. This is generally moreso true for LGBT people because they live with the oppression they feel, every single day. So expressing that sexuality becomes even more integral to your personality.

• +1
don't care about them and i suggest that you stop caring too

• +1
Note: Your thread has not been removed. Your post's topic seems to be fairly common on this subreddit. Similar posts can be found through our DeltaLog search or via the CMV search function.
Regards, the mods of r/changemyview.
I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

/u/DeltaBot will maintain delta counts in user flair, wiki pages for each user's delta history, record deltas in /r/DeltaLog, and update deltaboards where necessary.

• +1
don't care about them and i suggest that you stop caring too

A couple of things i want to address.

1. I think it’s important to describe some of the methodology of that study. First, I can’t find a sample size for the study, it’s likely the sample size isn’t anything to rely on. Also, what measure/standard was used to determine if someone is CIS or trans? Was the trans group on hormones? As this may explain some of the findings. Secondly, they didn’t just scan the brains for differences( At the end of the day, no one out there can tell the sex of a someone by simply looking at their brain. That’s like saying you can tell the sex of someone by looking at their height). What the study actually did, it relied on the assumption that a certain pheromone will result in different brain activity responses for each sex. That assumption is just that , an assumption. In fact, there is no scientific consensus that that pheromone illicit different responses across the sexes. Third, the study claims to have measured regional white matter volume and found differences between the sexes with trans people falling on the side of the opposite sex(gender they identify with). However, currently, there just isn’t enough data to conclude that regional white matter volume is sexually dimorphic. Also, the study even admitted this only seemed to work for males and not for females. Also, when it comes to regional volume differences, the study seems to suggest that trans people didn’t have the same volume as their desired genders, just “similar” which the study doesn’t elaborate what they mean by “similar”. I mean there seems to be so many issues with that study. So to call it “objective scientific sense” is intellectually dishonest.
suppose...everyone treated you like the opposite gender
2. Trans people make this claim so often, it appears transgenderism has little to do with self-identity as they claim but it’s more performative for others. In 2020, at least socially, no one treats men materially different than women. In fact, as a woman, I especially don’t want anyone (other than perhaps in the bedroom and romantic interest but this has more to do with my sexuality than my gender) to treat me like a woman, not my family and friends, not my boss and co-workers, not the car sales man, not random strangers on the street. No actual woman would ever want to be “treated like a woman” as this suggest going back to the 1920’s, no women wants to go back there. It suggest pay discrimination(which by the way, the women don’t usually know it’s happening. So as far as the women are concerned in their daily lives, they’re not being treated differently.) Sure, perhaps, people open the door for me sometimes, but this is not a fundamental woman experience as sometimes people hold the door for men and kids and the elderly. Sexual harassment, well if you ever visited a gay bar, you know that has more to do with sexuality than gender. So what exactly does it meant to be treated like a woman in a way that is consistent and fundamentally different?

• +1

1. I think it’s important to describe some of the methodology of that study. First, I can’t find a sample size for the study, it’s likely the sample size isn’t anything to rely on. Also, what measure/standard was used to determine if someone is CIS or trans? Was the trans group on hormones? As this may explain some of the findings. Secondly, they didn’t just scan the brains for differences( At the end of the day, no one out there can tell the sex of a someone by simply looking at their brain. That’s like saying you can tell the sex of someone by looking at their height). What the study actually did, it relied on the assumption that a certain pheromone will result in different brain activity responses for each sex. That assumption is just that , an assumption. In fact, there is no scientific consensus that that pheromone illicit different responses across the sexes. Third, the study claims to have measured regional white matter volume and found differences between the sexes with trans people falling on the side of the opposite sex(gender they identify with). However, currently, there just isn’t enough data to conclude that regional white matter volume is sexually dimorphic. Also, the study even admitted this only seemed to work for males and not for females. Also, when it comes to regional volume differences, the study seems to suggest that trans people didn’t have the same volume as their desired genders, just “similar” which the study doesn’t elaborate what they mean by “similar”. I mean there seems to be so many issues with that study. So to call it “objective scientific sense” is intellectually dishonest.

2. Trans people make this claim so often, it appears transgenderism has little to do with self-identity as they claim but it’s more performative for others. In 2020, at least socially, no one treats men materially different than women. In fact, as a woman, I especially don’t want anyone (other than perhaps in the bedroom and romantic interest but this has more to do with my sexuality than my gender) to treat me like a woman, not my family and friends, not my boss and co-workers, not the car sales man, not random strangers on the street. No actual woman would ever want to be “treated like a woman” as this suggest going back to the 1920’s, no women wants to go back there. It suggest pay discrimination(which by the way, the women don’t usually know it’s happening. So as far as the women are concerned in their daily lives, they’re not being treated differently.) Sure, perhaps, people open the door for me sometimes, but this is not a fundamental woman experience as sometimes people hold the door for men and kids and the elderly. Sexual harassment, well if you ever visited a gay bar, you know that has more to do with sexuality than gender. So what exactly does it meant to be treated like a woman in a way that is consistent and fundamentally different?
Look, I'm sure you're generally a kind, beautiful woman, but in this, it doesn't really matter if you understand.

• JFL
As someone who has lived as both this is not at all true. Living in the world as a man and as a woman have been very different experiences for me.

As a white, middle class person from a liberal background I have a lot of privaledge and as such haven't experienced much of a difference in terms of rights, but the way I'm perceived and social interactions are totally different. People's expectations of me are different and I'm treated differently.

What I think you should really take away though is that trans people transition because living as the gender that they were assigned at birth is detrimental to their mental health and transition is something that helps with this. You may not perceive a difference in the lived experiences of men and women but the fact that people do transition is testament to the fact that the difference is there.
Nigga trans ppl are crazy, thats why most of them end up killing themselves, they need to be in hospitals ngl

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4645 and Deleted member 6403

I'm sorry bro theres no chance I'm reading that

• +1
Nigga trans ppl are crazy, thats why most of them end up killing themselves, they need to be in hospitals ngl

How does it not make sense? If you are a man, imagine you were forced to live like a woman by your parents, family, friends, etc. for your entire life. Or vice versa. Would you not want to live as you felt? As you wanted? As you were?

Futhermore, you said “just for 10 minutes of pleasure a day” but for some people, their sexuality is a more dominant/important part of their life and personality. This is generally moreso true for LGBT people because they live with the oppression they feel, every single day. So expressing that sexuality becomes even more integral to your personality.

• +1
I'm sorry bro theres no chance I'm reading that

Have you ever been unhappy with your body? This can be in any way- weight, height, nose size, or yes, gender.

People have body dysphoria about all of these things. People get plastic surgery to fix these things as well. Does the idea of someone wanting a different nose because they hate they look make '0 sense' to you? Or someone getting surgery to lose excess fat?

• +1

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6403 and Deleted member 4645