confronting the source

maxilofailo

maxilofailo

im a failure
I need to hear serious opinions on this

Btw this is gonna be pretty long

When I was 12, my father informed me I had an older step brother by one year I never even heard of until that moment. It truly changed my world man. I was informed, in 6th grade, that he would be coming before the start of seventh, and despite being a year older, we were gonna be in the same grade. He was considering putting him in 6th but didn’t cause he didn’t want to embarrass him (imagine turning 14 in the 6th grade jfl) and he didn’t want to put him in 8th because he didn’t deem him ready enough (he was the bottom of his class in Africa)

This put me in a state of fear because I had just moved to this town for two years now and I finally felt like I was settling in. My father told me this kid had the same name as me (not entirely true) and the same birthday (also wrong). So to me, it was like my identity was being taken away, or replaced.

When he finally arrived I remember being worried that he was gonna take all my friends, since friendship is just honestly the thing I value the most in this world. So I did everything I could to distance myself from him. I didn’t sit next to him on the bus the first day of school trying to act like I didn’t know him. But eventually ppl found out.

Overtime, people started to be drawn to him more and more because of his personality (whether it was an act or not is irrelevant)

Soon enough, he became more popular than me, and people cared about what he was up to more than me. Fast forward and he’s got two ig accounts with 1000+ followers, another one where ppl who I knew who unfollowed me follow him, and if you seen other threads relating to this, I think you get it.

Now I’m wondering, had I been different, more open to it and not combative, would things be different? Would I be able to maintain my friends, and not have to compete with him? I just wanna know if you guys though I was in the wrong for the mindset in the first place.