Did anyone have their fixed retainer(s) after braces removed?

Bewusst

Bewusst

dead inside
Any changes after getting rid of it such as jaw growth, dental arch expansion (positive) or teeth becoming crooked again or malocclusion, tmj problems (negative)?

I've had a fixed retainer since 13 years of age when I got my braces removed and the lower one is still intact but the upper one broke off partially many years ago, leaving only the right side; the left side of it is gone. Now my first upper left incisor (where there is no wire anymore) is slightly in front of the right one.
I could totally imagine that getting fixed retainers before adulthood might hinder jaw growth, leading to little or no space for the wisdom teeth which is a recipe for further problems. This would also have a negative impact on facial aesthetics ofc.

I want to get rid of the retainer asap, especially since some of it has broken off anyway + my dental arches have expanded naturally this year (at 22) and I don't want to interfere with this process.

Share your experience/thoughts please. The more detail the better (age when you had it removed + current age, changes, prior + current dental/orthodontic issues etc.)

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: KrissKross and Deleted member 2621
IMG 9212
Bewusst
IMG 8673

I had braces at 16 and retainers since 18 I quit them 6 months ago and via mewing this is the side profile progress.
The real progress come when eating or breathing, i also feel more natural my teeths and take more care of them. Probably will try palate expander or whitening them.
I reccomend quit all the "old" or "traditional" orthodontic stuff you have and try new ones. Like expanders or smt like that.

Attachments

• IMG_20191104_233020_106.jpg
    IMG_20191104_233020_106.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 20