DIY Skin Tightening with Potassium Alum

Ahura

Ahura

Iron
Quick Disclaimer: Poisoning (do not ingest the alum or get into your eyes) is a thing. It is generally non toxic, but leaving this here anyway.

Now onto the actual thread;
I first discovered potassium alum when searching for natural ways to improve my shave (suffered from the occasional razor burn). After that I began researching some of the other effects/benefits.

For dirt cheap ($3-10) you can purchase an alum block which can:
- directly induce collagen production and inhibit collagen breakdown enzymes
- temporarily and potentially overtime permanently tighten the skin
- smoothen skin and complexion due to antibiotic and antiseptic properties
- removes excess oil and balance skin PH
- work as an aftershave by soothing irritation/razor burn by constricting the skin's pores and reducing inflammation.

Copy/Paste from GPT:
The tightening effect of alum is primarily due to its ability to coagulate proteins in the skin, leading to a temporary firming sensation. However, this effect is reversible and typically diminishes once the alum is washed off or wears off over. time.

Now, being the person I am, I decided to experiment for 2 weeks and applied it to my undereyes, cheekbones, forehead lines, and nasolabial fold area. Since then, the wrinkles on my forehead have completely disappeared and gone forever. My nasolabial folds reduced drastically, undereye area improved very slightly (least noticeable of all the effects) and my cheekbones look sharper due to tighter skin. I am now going to experiment with using it on the nose for a sharper nose aswell.

Try it if you want, don't if you don't. I do have pictures but I'm not sharing on this site. One thing I want to mention is the drying effect. Since it does reduce the oil production in the face, it will dry it out if you use too much. So don't overuse, it's mostly a tool for frauding pores and tighter skin in pics temporarily.

Source: Amazon, eBay, just google 'alum block'... I don't recommend the powder plus the block is much more convenient.

Supporting Studies:

(1) A study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology found that a topical gel containing potassium alum significantly improved skin elasticity and reduced wrinkle depth after 12 weeks of application. The researchers attributed this effect to the astringent and tightening properties of potassium alum.

(2) A study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science evaluated the efficacy of a facial cream containing potassium alum on skin firmness and elasticity. After 8 weeks of daily application, the participants showed significant improvements in skin tightness and elasticity compared to the control group. The researchers attributed this effect to the astringent properties of potassium alum, which can cause temporary contraction of skin cells and proteins, leading to a tightening appearance.

(3) A clinical trial published in the Journal of Cosmetic Science investigated the effects of a potassium alum-based serum on facial skin. The results showed a significant reduction in pore size and improvement in skin texture after 6 weeks of regular use, suggesting a tightening effect on the skin.

(4) A study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology examined the traditional use of potassium alum in skin care. The researchers found that potassium alum exhibited significant skin-tightening and anti-aging properties in in-vitro and animal studies, likely due to its ability to induce collagen synthesis and inhibit enzymes that break down collagen.

Attachments

• Products 004.jpg
    Products 004.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 0
  • +1
  • Love it
  • Woah
Reactions: greycel, subhumantrash, milkcuck and 1 other person
Tldr nigga :pepefrown:

• +1
Reactions: Thebbcmaxxer and agoostis
I use an alum rock after I shave to stop bleeding, stings like a motherfucker

• +1
Reactions: Ahura
Quick Disclaimer: Poisoning (do not ingest the alum or get into your eyes) is a thing. It is generally non toxic, but leaving this here anyway.

Now onto the actual thread;
I first discovered potassium alum when searching for natural ways to improve my shave (suffered from the occasional razor burn). After that I began researching some of the other effects/benefits.

For dirt cheap ($3-10) you can purchase an alum block which can:
- directly induce collagen production and inhibit collagen breakdown enzymes
- temporarily and potentially overtime permanently tighten the skin
- smoothen skin and complexion due to antibiotic and antiseptic properties
- removes excess oil and balance skin PH
- work as an aftershave by soothing irritation/razor burn by constricting the skin's pores and reducing inflammation.

Copy/Paste from GPT:
The tightening effect of alum is primarily due to its ability to coagulate proteins in the skin, leading to a temporary firming sensation. However, this effect is reversible and typically diminishes once the alum is washed off or wears off over. time.

Now, being the person I am, I decided to experiment for 2 weeks and applied it to my undereyes, cheekbones, forehead lines, and nasolabial fold area. Since then, the wrinkles on my forehead have completely disappeared and gone forever. My nasolabial folds reduced drastically, undereye area improved very slightly (least noticeable of all the effects) and my cheekbones look sharper due to tighter skin. I am now going to experiment with using it on the nose for a sharper nose aswell.

Try it if you want, don't if you don't. I do have pictures but I'm not sharing on this site. One thing I want to mention is the drying effect. Since it does reduce the oil production in the face, it will dry it out if you use too much. So don't overuse, it's mostly a tool for frauding pores and tighter skin in pics temporarily.

Source: Amazon, eBay, just google 'alum block'... I don't recommend the powder plus the block is much more convenient.

Supporting Studies:

(1) A study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology found that a topical gel containing potassium alum significantly improved skin elasticity and reduced wrinkle depth after 12 weeks of application. The researchers attributed this effect to the astringent and tightening properties of potassium alum.

(2) A study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science evaluated the efficacy of a facial cream containing potassium alum on skin firmness and elasticity. After 8 weeks of daily application, the participants showed significant improvements in skin tightness and elasticity compared to the control group. The researchers attributed this effect to the astringent properties of potassium alum, which can cause temporary contraction of skin cells and proteins, leading to a tightening appearance.

(3) A clinical trial published in the Journal of Cosmetic Science investigated the effects of a potassium alum-based serum on facial skin. The results showed a significant reduction in pore size and improvement in skin texture after 6 weeks of regular use, suggesting a tightening effect on the skin.

(4) A study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology examined the traditional use of potassium alum in skin care. The researchers found that potassium alum exhibited significant skin-tightening and anti-aging properties in in-vitro and animal studies, likely due to its ability to induce collagen synthesis and inhibit enzymes that break down collagen.
Bump

how often do you use it? use it before or after skincare? and do you need to wash it off after application, if so how long do i have to wait before washing it off?

how often do you use it? use it before or after skincare? and do you need to wash it off after application, if so how long do i have to wait before washing it off?
Everytime I shave, I rub it on the rest of my face aswell. Just started doing it on the jaw and it works wonders.

I dont wash it off, instead I also apply a face oil (natural rosehip) after to counteract the drying effect.

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: subhumantrash and rg1235