DIYing a removable palate expander

D

Deleted member 32486

Kraken
I wear a retainer, I had braces from ages 13-16, inhibited my maxillary development, as a result, I have a disproportionately narrow palate, which is pictured below.
Smile

I brought up my narrow palate to my Mother a few days ago, expressing (sincere) concern for my airways, omitting any details about this impacting cosmetics (I don't want her to think I have BDD or am insecure in any fashion) and explained that I'd like to get a palate expander ASAP, while I can still get a non-invasive one, rather than MSE, and that I'd pay for whatever insurance doesn't cover, even if the insurance doesn't cover it at all. She said if the dentist confirms my palate is indeed narrow (it is, even by modern bluepilled orthodontic standards, my intermolar width is ~6mm too narrow), I can go to an orthodontist and get a palate expander. Under the circumstance that my dentist is bluepilled or bizarre, and I am told my palate is adequate, would it be too outlandish or risky to fashion my own out of my retainers?

Here is a removable palate expander, which appears to be a hawley retainer with a widening mechanism in the middle. Would it be viable to cut my retainer in half with a dremel and install a widening mechanism, or would I be a retard who fucks up his teeth and face? Has anyone done this before? If so, please link to resources on this.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: mvp2v1 and Deleted member 33150
I wear a retainer, I had braces from ages 13-16, inhibited my maxillary development, as a result, I have a disproportionately narrow palate, which is pictured below.
View attachment 2429548
I brought up my narrow palate to my Mother a few days ago, expressing (sincere) concern for my airways, omitting any details about this impacting cosmetics (I don't want her to think I have BDD or am insecure in any fashion) and explained that I'd like to get a palate expander ASAP, while I can still get a non-invasive one, rather than MSE, and that I'd pay for whatever insurance doesn't cover, even if the insurance doesn't cover it at all. She said if the dentist confirms my palate is indeed narrow (it is, even by modern bluepilled orthodontic standards, my intermolar width is ~6mm too narrow), I can go to an orthodontist and get a palate expander. Under the circumstance that my dentist is bluepilled or bizarre, and I am told my palate is adequate, would it be too outlandish or risky to fashion my own out of my retainers?
View attachment 2429555
Here is a removable palate expander, which appears to be a hawley retainer with a widening mechanism in the middle. Would it be viable to cut my retainer in half with a dremel and install a widening mechanism, or would I be a retard who fucks up his teeth and face? Has anyone done this before? If so, please link to resources on this.
you’d be an idiot. go to the dentist

• +1
Reactions: ascension!, bradpittshairline and Deleted member 32486
you’d be an idiot. go to the dentist
I am going to the dentist, but the anticipation is killing me. I am trying to prepare for the doomsday scenario in which I am told I do not need expansion and will have to wait years until I get good money to get MSE.

if you are going to DIY do it properly with MSE, not some 100% tooth-borne expander

• +1
Reactions: temporomandibular32
View attachment 2429548
View attachment 2429555
it would be stupid to do. if your dentist says no, try to consult another

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 32486
if you are going to DIY do it properly with MSE, not some 100% tooth-borne expander
I have hope a removable expander will have at least some impact on my maxilla and airways, also there is no way I am screwing titanium in my mouth by myself JFL.

Buy one online, they are quite cheap. Also better than getting a dentist to do it who will probably say you are fine and don't need it.

• +1
Buy one online, they are quite cheap. Also better than getting a dentist to do it who will probably say you are fine and don't need it.
I'd just do that myself and skip the orthodontist, but I have a feeling my Mom would not be too happy if she found out I was doing it myself, and I'd rather not strain our relationship or get kicked out over a few mm of bone, so I'd have to do it secretly and hide it. There's also a chance I could get MSE covered by insurance and do that if the orthodontist recommends it, which would be preferable to an expander.

narrow pallete doesnt matter your lower third is already GL, just need to work on eye area if ur willing to hardmax. The V shape of your jaw will look good throughout life as u age from my observation. My jaw is too narrow jfl

• +1
narrow pallete doesnt matter your lower third is already GL, just need to work on eye area if ur willing to hardmax. The V shape of your jaw will look good throughout life as u age from my observation. My jaw is too narrow jfl
I am fine with my mandible, but my maxilla is shit, and I'd think you'd agree that my smile looks incredibly weird and unharmonious with my lower third. And I have actually bad airways, snore in my sleep, etc.

View attachment 2429548
View attachment 2429555
Nigga it’s diminishing returns or however the term goes. MSE breaks off the suture it doesn’t expand it my nigga. Meaning it’s not actual expansion. It also widens nostrils and with your mouth it’ll probably look worse so widen your mouth first, then do the tooth borne expander etc or MSE and you’ll be fine.

• +1
View attachment 2429548
View attachment 2429555
I’m doing it DIY. Currently trying to find a manufacturer of bioblock

• +1