Do NOT microneedle for skin rejuvenation

Normiefag

Normiefag

Iron
The myth of microneedling (i.e. dermarolling or dermastamping) is that it can restore the beautiful glowing skin you used to have by increasing blood supply, encouraging tissue formation and collagen production.

Microneedling works by penetrating the dermis (middle layer of your skin) to kick-start collagen production. These controlled injuries force the body to respond by healing the treated areas quickly and efficiently. Collagen is formed to repair and rebuild the tissues.

Microneedling

Sounds good right…? INCORRECT.

Doing this actually depletes your collagen over time and accelerates the ageing process. To understand this we must first understand ageing – which can be represented here as the accumulation of changes in a human over time.

Your skin, the largest organ on your body, is continuously exposed to destructive elements in the environment. Damage accumulates over time and your body repairs that damage and regenerates cells.

However, as we age, the ability of the body to make more collagen slows down and eventually stops (cellular senescence). I.e. the more you physically damage (age) your skin the more you negatively impact its ability to heal and regenerate. Consequently, collagen synthesis will deplete sooner (see appendix 1).

Think about it - If you fall over and scrape your knee your body will heal and produce fresh skin to replace it, but its capacity to do this diminishes the more it happens.

Even Wolverine's healing factor burnt out eventually bro...

Furthermore, any collagen made from the physical trauma of microneedling is a stress response by the body and comes at the price of killing live skin cells; collagen, elastin, and other components involved in maintaining the structural integrity of the cell.

In conclusion: avoid this gimmick and instead promote natural collagen production by stimulating healthy skin cell turn over. Good nutrition, hydration, sleep and skin care regimen are key.

N.b. this relates to microneedling on healthy skin. I have no strong opinions on microneedling for hair loss or to address scar tissue. The existing research on microneedling is mainly around scar tissue not healthy skin and there appears to be good evidence for its effectiveness (although there are no large controlled trials with extensive follow-up, so we don't know the long-term effects).

(1) Pittman, J. Effect of Aging on Wound Healing: Current Concepts. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing: July-August 2007 - Volume 34 - Issue 4 - p 412-417 (doi: 10.1097/01.WON.0000281658.71072.e6)

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: bugeye, SubhumanCurrycel and OOGABOOGA
Interesting. So thoughts on doing it for a period of time to get rid of acne scars and then stopping?

cope dermaroller inventor is super old and looks like this

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14392, randomvanish, PenileFacialSurgery and 3 others

Yes but it’s good for pie scars

The myth of microneedling (i.e. dermarolling or dermastamping) is that it can restore the beautiful glowing skin you used to have by increasing blood supply, encouraging tissue formation and collagen production.

Microneedling works by penetrating the dermis (middle layer of your skin) to kick-start collagen production. These controlled injuries force the body to respond by healing the treated areas quickly and efficiently. Collagen is formed to repair and rebuild the tissues.

View attachment 470661

Sounds good right…? INCORRECT.

Doing this actually depletes your collagen over time and accelerates the ageing process. To understand this we must first understand ageing – which can be represented here as the accumulation of changes in a human over time.

Your skin, the largest organ on your body, is continuously exposed to destructive elements in the environment. Damage accumulates over time and your body repairs that damage and regenerates cells.

However, as we age, the ability of the body to make more collagen slows down and eventually stops (cellular senescence). I.e. the more you physically damage (age) your skin the more you negatively impact its ability to heal and regenerate. Consequently, collagen synthesis will deplete sooner (see appendix 1).

Think about it - If you fall over and scrape your knee your body will heal and produce fresh skin to replace it, but its capacity to do this diminishes the more it happens.

Even Wolverine's healing factor burnt out eventually bro...

Furthermore, any collagen made from the physical trauma of microneedling is a stress response by the body and comes at the price of killing live skin cells; collagen, elastin, and other components involved in maintaining the structural integrity of the cell.

In conclusion: avoid this gimmick and instead promote natural collagen production by stimulating healthy skin cell turn over. Good nutrition, hydration, sleep and skin care regimen are key.

N.b. this relates to microneedling on healthy skin. I have no strong opinions on microneedling for hair loss or to address scar tissue. The existing research on microneedling is mainly around scar tissue not healthy skin and there appears to be good evidence for its effectiveness (although there are no large controlled trials with extensive follow-up, so we don't know the long-term effects).

(1) Pittman, J. Effect of Aging on Wound Healing: Current Concepts. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing: July-August 2007 - Volume 34 - Issue 4 - p 412-417 (doi: 10.1097/01.WON.0000281658.71072.e6)

Let me guess you read the post on omure or whatever her shitty website is called and then found one study that goes against the scientific consensus. Any healthy anti-aging protocol should incorporate 1-1,5mm microneedling 2-3 times a year if not up to four times.

Start your post next time with this since that is the most important part of your entire post and makes or kills it.

• +1
Reactions: randomvanish, Karstossos and PenileFacialSurgery
Let me guess you read the post on omure or whatever her shitty website is called and then found one study that goes against the scientific consensus. Any healthy anti-aging protocol should incorporate 1-1,5mm microneedling 2-3 times a year if not up to four times.

Start your post next time with this since that is the most important part of your entire post and makes or kills it.
What consensus? The review by Iriarte et al. (2007) into dermalogical disorders not healthy skin states:

"It is important to keep in mind that most comparative studies on MN have been case reports, case series, or small randomized controlled trials. Future large controlled clinical trials exploring the utility of MN are imperative to provide validation... This would help offset any potential publication bias as it is likely that small negative MN studies may not get published."

The evidence base is dogshit. Why don't you try addressing the substance of my argument rather than appealing to ignorance?

What consensus? The review by Iriarte et al. (2007) into dermalogical disorders not healthy skin states:

"It is important to keep in mind that most comparative studies on MN have been case reports, case series, or small randomized controlled trials. Future large controlled clinical trials exploring the utility of MN are imperative to provide validation... This would help offset any potential publication bias as it is likely that small negative MN studies may not get published."

The evidence base is dogshit. Why don't you try addressing the substance of my argument rather than appealing to ignorance?

I already did enough writing today. I will however make a post detailing microneedling in the near future since I have a Derminator 2 at home and microneedle often and have spent probably 250+ hours researching CIT/Microneedling/RF Microneedling/ and so forth.

Plus there are so many points about your post that just absolute baffle me that just demonstrate your lack of understanding. Further you havent edited your post to push your note well to the top when that is literally the most important part of your entire post and the distinction between you talking about healthy skin should be made clear right at the start.

• +1
Reactions: workiskey
Yeah just damage the outer layers of your skin continuously and let it re-repair itself hundreds of times, nothing bad will happen in the long run...

MAJOR COPE we only care about our youth, who gives a shit when i'm 80 about my skin lmao, also Major Low IQ op science is advancing exponentially im basically chadmaxxing +betting on high iq stemcells to have invented a collagen resupply by the time im old enough and low inhibition enough to give a fuck .

ONLY CARE ABOUT CHADMAXXING AND MONEYMAXXING the rest will figure itself out.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14392, bugeye, LastHopeForNorman and 3 others
i dont see the science behind this, cell wont just decrease collegen production because of minor trauma,
may be it will if you use 5mm big ass needle

• +1
Reactions: Karstossos and anti caking agents
Shit thread, you don’t microneedle your skin everyday, and it’s mostly scars and deep wrinkles.

• +1
Reactions: dantemaxxing and PURE ARYAN GENETICS
this is like being muscular make you live less kind of articless bullshit.

human body doesn't work like that.

give it a tool to repair itself. microneedling won't cause any problem if you don't obsessively used like every week for decades.

• +1
Reactions: dantemaxxing and Deleted member 14392