Do regular braces screw up your maxilla?

D

Doomer

Iron
After I get my palate expanded and lower jaw brought forward with some appliance, I have to get braces to straighten my teeth. If you don't wear elastics then do braces still recess your maxilla?

Last edited:
elastics are not gonna recess you

no kill yousrelf if you believe this

• +1
Reactions: Zeta
elastics are not gonna recess you
Yes elastics specifically do. They attach bands between both rows of teeth and pull the maxilla back and mandible forward, stunting the proper mandible growth and giving a flat face. Technically the teeth are fixed at the cost of your face and health. John Mew would bring the maxilla and mandible forward because it was optimal for aesthetics. Apparently part of the treatment is some kind of elastics (I don't think it's the ones between both rows), but if it does recess I'm not wearing them.

Last edited:
Yes elastics specifically do. They attach bands between both rows of teeth and pull the maxilla back and mandible forward, stunting the proper mandible growth and giving a flat face. Technically the teeth are fixed at the cost of your face and health. John Mew would bring the maxilla and mandible forward because it was optimal for aesthetics. Apparently part of the treatment is some kind of elastics (I don't think it's the ones between both rows), but if it does recess I'm not wearing them.
If only it was that easy to move bone, elastic don’t move the jaw they just correct your bite

if you fix overbite wouldnt it give you less support around your naso area? and give a more sunken midface

This goes back to the "mewing" debate.

If you think mouth/tongue posture matters during your growing phase, then it makes sense that braces do as well.

if you fix overbite wouldnt it give you less support around your naso area? and give a more sunken midface
Does it? The appliance is intended to I think hold the maxilla in place while bringing up and aligning my mandible to correct my bite by bringing it forward.

This goes back to the "mewing" debate.

If you think mouth/tongue posture matters during your growing phase, then it makes sense that braces do as well.
In what way would braces be a problem? How exactly does it work? At that point, I'm most likely done with palate expansion and bite correction, or expanding my palate while having braces.

In what way would braces be a problem? How exactly does it work? At that point, I'm most likely done with palate expansion and bite correction, or expanding my palate while having braces.
The idea is that braces during childhood/adolescence restrict the forward/outward growth of the jaws.

Braces without bands won’t rlly affect your jaw

The idea is that braces during childhood/adolescence restrict the forward/outward growth of the jaws.
I know, my last baby tooth fell out at 15 and I hit puberty late. I'm 16 now. Is mewing going to mitigate the problems?

I know, my last baby tooth fell out at 15 and I hit puberty late. I'm 16 now. Is mewing going to mitigate the problems?
Nobody knows. This is all scientific/medical speculation.

• +1
Reactions: perpetuallytired