Do you need to rest the next day after lifting in order to gain muscle?

alien

alien

Kraken
Or is it better to just lift every day for gains? I'm not trying to put on weight. I'm 5'6" 145. I plan on maintaining my base weight. I just want to increase my muscle mass % and decrease my body fat %.

My muscle underneath my armpit feels sore today. Not sure from what exercise exactly. I did Shoulder Lunges, Bicep Curls, Hammer curls, wrist curls, halos with my dumb bells at home yesterday. And crunches. I had a kink in my neck yesterday. It seems mostly healed now.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15827
My muscle underneath my armpit feels sore today. Not sure from what exercise exactly.
it's from the shoulder lunges but why are you doing shit like that instead of doing those 2 exercises separately?

• +1
Reactions: alien
Yes. Muscles, joints and tendons need time to repair themselves.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15827 and alien
it's from the shoulder lunges but why are you doing shit like that instead of doing those 2 exercises separately?
So you're saying instead of doing instead of doing Shoulder Lunges, Bicep Curls, Hammer curls, wrist curls, halos and crunches all in one day, I should break it up into two days and alternate? Thanks

lift 3-5 days a week and split your workouts i.e - chest/shoulder then arms/back legs/abs
do 2 muscle groups in one day for maximum gains, muscle groups you do should be working in conjunction for whatever movement you're doing or at least close together, i.e- dumbell flys work your chest and shoulders as well as cable flys, so you should do shoulder and chest same day
exercises that recruit multiple muscle groups are generally better, and isolation movements are like an exp boost
you need to bulk up first then cut, it's just easier and takes less time, it's extremely time consuming building muscle when you're not eating in a calorie surplus unless you're fat
don't train obliques or you're gonna have a box torso
don't train traps as much because it makes your shoulders look sloped in clothes

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15827
So you're saying instead of doing instead of doing Shoulder Lunges, Bicep Curls, Hammer curls, wrist curls, halos and crunches all in one day, I should break it up into two days and alternate? Thanks
yes but I meant why are you doing shoulder lunges? why don't you do them separately and use more weight? you can't possibly be using a lot of weight doing those 2 exercises at once

some do exercise everyday but it just means your body is in a constant state of sympathetic drive which means you wont recover as well

No.

There's plenty of guys who lift every single day, and end up jacked as fuck. It's all about managing total training volume and intensity for the entire week, and evenly splitting it up so you properly recover.

I make my best gains off 3 days on, 1 day completely off. But I honestly love gymcelling so much I lift 7x week. Probably making slightly slower progress, because complete rest days are very beneficial (get stronger faster, and can push harder in the gym). IMO, lifting one day on then one day off is overkill, and you could go more frequently, but you will still make great progress doing so if you're training hard with high volume in those sessions

Or is it better to just lift every day for gains? I'm not trying to put on weight. I'm 5'6" 145. I plan on maintaining my base weight. I just want to increase my muscle mass % and decrease my body fat %.

My muscle underneath my armpit feels sore today. Not sure from what exercise exactly. I did Shoulder Lunges, Bicep Curls, Hammer curls, wrist curls, halos with my dumb bells at home yesterday. And crunches. I had a kink in my neck yesterday. It seems mostly healed now.

Dont train site muscles. Train a different muscle group.

Try to go every day. Your body will tell you when it needs a break of like 1-2 days

you need to bulk up first then cut, it's just easier and takes less time, it's extremely time consuming building muscle when you're not eating in a calorie surplus unless you're fat
I was stupid enough to cut from 168 lbs (overweight) to 145 lbs while neglecting the weights. So I had lost some muscle I'm sure and have a skinnyfat physique. Now that I've been lifting recently, I think I'm noticing drops in body fat % and gains in muscle mass % though. I don't want to get up in weight again because I was a fat ass and now I'm normal body weight. I'm 5'6". My BMI is 23.6 now. 25+ is overweight. At 168.2 lbs, my BMI was 27.4.

I was stupid enough to cut from 168 lbs (overweight) to 145 lbs while neglecting the weights. So I had lost some muscle I'm sure and have a skinnyfat physique. Now that I've been lifting recently, I think I'm noticing drops in body fat % and gains in muscle mass % though. I don't want to get up in weight again because I was a fat ass and now I'm normal body weight. I'm 5'6". My BMI is 23.6 now. 25+ is overweight. At 168.2 lbs, my BMI was 27.4.
bulking then cutting will get you the results you want faster

5 foot 6 :lul:

Dont Train the same muscles 2 days in a row

I do upper lower split

Like this:
Upperbody
Lowerbody
1 day rest
uperbody
Lowerbody
2 days rest