Do you think people who know more than 10 languages are frauds?

ChadFucksYourOneitis

ChadFucksYourOneitis

Seeking immortality
On youtube , I have seen lots of so-called polyglots who claimed to know 7+ languages and these folks look like they're in their 20s-30s.
Sure they can read a newspaper and speak everyday conversation in each language but is this a true fluency?

Can they understand slangs or some erotic stories that are written in the language? Can they discuss deep politics or philosophy in the language?

Cultural aspects are deeply ingrained in idioms , sentences and poetry. It would sound bland and weird if one talks so formal with natives.
Learning a new language is no small feast. You have to immerse in order to emulate native speaker's thinking and speaking patterns.Real fluent in 4 languages might be possible if one lives in some areas like Hungary or Switzerland.

Are most of them frauds or do you know any legit hyperpolyglots?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
well a lot of languages are pretty similar, if you know french then learning italian is easy

people claiming to be fluent in shit like arabic, japanese, spanish, ancient egyptian and latin all at the same time are liars though

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, ChadFucksYourOneitis and stuckneworleans
Not impossible. I already know 5 languages and I've been only devoting 1 or 2 hours for them. So it's not hard to imagine knowing 10+ languages to those who take learning languages as their profession

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and ChadFucksYourOneitis
Yeah I believe it.

Provided its European language 1, heavily related European language 2 , heavily related European language 3 etc....

If you claim to know English, Russian, Ancient Chinese, Africans tut language etc then no

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and ChadFucksYourOneitis
well a lot of languages are pretty similar, if you know french then learning italian is easy

people claiming to be fluent in shit like arabic, japanese, spanish, ancient egyptian and latin all at the same time are liars though

Pretty much , Languages in the same root are not so hard to learn if one manages their time well , has a good teacher and a good resource I believe. But it still take time to absorb to climb from A1 to A2 , A2 to B1 and so on.

Japanese... Kanji is a pain in the ass. It's considered tough even for the natives.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and UnderCovrN0rmie

arabic, ancient egyptian and latin are pretty similar

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401

Users who are viewing this thread

Back