Does anyone here have bad vision in one eye? Can you improve it with glasses?

6ft4

6ft4

Extraversion = #1 Predictor of ReproductiveSuccess
I've needed glasses since I was a child, I last wore them before I went to college so when I was 17
When I went for my learners driving permit aged 17 and had an eye test I was told my vision was just barely good enough to not require a (glasses needed) indicator on my license but I should wear them while driving anyway
Fast forward 8 years, I notice in the past few months that my weaker left eye is becoming lazy
Now that I look back on selfies from a few years ago it was a small bit lazy but not too noticeable imo
I went for an eye test yesterday and will be getting my glasses today
Is it possible to improve the vision in my weak eye by wearing glasses and get it to stop appearing lazier than my stronger eye?
Should I start wearing an eye patch at home to get my weak eye to do all the work?
Since I quit my job and increased my screen time usage up to like 10 hours per day i think it has badly fucked me

Do not wear glasses, contact lenses only

If you have a strabismus caused by amblyopia, the only effective way to correct it is with surgery. Patching won't do anything at your age; afaik patches are becoming a thing of the past alltogether and may be doing more harm than good as a treatment for kids.

The other thing you may not be aware of is that you most certainly don't have binocular vision and thus lack the ability of stereopsis (fine tuned perception of the world in 3 dimensions). Have you ever actually seen a 3D movie pop out at you from the screen? Have you ever managed to see the "magic eye" stereograms?

Best course of action is to get laser eye surgery first to eliminate the disparity in both eyes and then get a surgery to allign the eyes together. If you were to get the latter without first getting the former, chances of relapsing are significantly higher

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Mewton and 6ft4
If you have a strabismus caused by amblyopia, the only effective way to correct it is with surgery. Patching won't do anything at your age; afaik patches are becoming a thing of the past alltogether and may be doing more harm than good as a treatment for kids.

The other thing you may not be aware of is that you most certainly don't have binocular vision and thus lack the ability of stereopsis (fine tuned perception of the world in 3 dimensions). Have you ever actually seen a 3D movie pop out at you from the screen? Have you ever managed to see the "magic eye" stereograms?

Best course of action is to get laser eye surgery first to eliminate the disparity in both eyes and then get a surgery to allign the eyes together. If you were to get the latter without first getting the former, chances of relapsing are significantly higher
Good response, thanks
Do you think starting to wear glasses now will prevent things from getting worse?
I will get the eye surgery once I get jaw surgery out of the way but still don't wanna have things get worse before then
Are both surgeries similarly priced or is one more complex and costly than the other?

• +1
Reactions: ropemax
Good response, thanks
Do you think starting to wear glasses now will prevent things from getting worse?
I will get the eye surgery once I get jaw surgery out of the way but still don't wanna have things get worse before then
Are both surgeries similarly priced or is one more complex and costly than the other?
Wearing glasses won't help correct it or prevent it from getting worse. The reason for that is your brain doesn't know how to fuse images together. Even if you now start wearing glasses that give you 20/20 vision in both eyes, your brain will still favor one eye over the other; you haven't developed proper neural pathways in your visual cortex. That's why the only permanent/semi-permanent way is to surgically allign the eyes by adjusting the tension of your extraocular muscles to force the brain to try and learn how to use both of them at the same time.

What you can do is hide it with prism glasses but that doesn't "help" the condition in any way. Surgery cost depends on the type of your strabismus and location but it's usually cheaper than jaw surgery by a wide margin

• +1
Reactions: 6ft4
Wearing glasses won't help correct it or prevent it from getting worse. The reason for that is your brain doesn't know how to fuse images together. Even if you now start wearing glasses that give you 20/20 vision in both eyes, your brain will still favor one eye over the other; you haven't developed proper neural pathways in your visual cortex. That's why the only permanent/semi-permanent way is to surgically allign the eyes by adjusting the tension of your extraocular muscles to force the brain to try and learn how to use both of them at the same time.

What you can do is hide it with prism glasses but that doesn't "help" the condition in any way. Surgery cost depends on the type of your strabismus and location but it's usually cheaper than jaw surgery by a wide margin
So even if I had been wearing glasses for the last 8 years it wouldn't have prevented one of my eyes gradually going more astray?
If that is the case then I will be less annoyed at myself for the position I am currently in

• +1
So even if I had been wearing glasses for the last 8 years it wouldn't have prevented one of my eyes gradually going more astray?
Correct.

• Love it
Reactions: 6ft4
Comforting info but a brutal agepill at the same time
This is why saving/investing every cent I could in my early 20s will pay off in the end
You never know when you may require a surgery to prevent looks deterioration whether it be a hair transplant or a broken nose or eye surgery in my case

• +1
Any solutions my right eye sees significantly worse than my left. I was told this could be caused by scoliosis or something similar from a young age.