Does balding progress undercover while you're on finasteride? What about minoxmaxx?

B

beyourself

Master
Faced the baldcel problem a little while ago, haven't read studies yet.

I get that fin partly inhibits an enzyme that converts testosterone into DHT, and less DHT supply to hair follicles mean less balding. Now, is it reasonable to assume that while it does so, the MPB silently progresses, albeit at a slower rate, while finasteride merely stops its effects on hair loss? In other words, if I take finasteride for years and then I stop, will I continue norwooding from the point where I started or am I gonna go straight to a NW5 fucking cemetery?

Same question about topical solutions like minoxidil, dermaroliing, nizoral and such. I'd prefer to not take finasteride since I'm not and likely won't be a hardcore baldceler, but the topical solutions seem to be only coping the follicles from dying out and not fixing the underlying issue. I imagine, as time goes on, you'll get to the point where you have to cover your entire scalp with minoxidil JFL.

Aspie scientists, time to shine.

• +1
Reactions: AutismMaxing
Now, is it reasonable to assume that while it does so, the MPB silently progresses, albeit at a slower rate, while finasteride merely stops its effects on hair loss?
seems like an unreasonable assumption to me

• JFL
  • Woah
Reactions: BigBoy and beyourself
@Bronze8 what about ED and such? Did you have any sides?

• +1
Reactions: Lux
I'm not on fin

• Hmm...
Reactions: beyourself
Just take fin you wont regret it. You may get softer erections for 2 weeks bit if you sit it out they will go back to normal, its just your body callibrating with the new hormone ratios

Just take fin you wont regret it. You may get softer erections for 2 weeks bit if you sit it out they will go back to normal, its just your body callibrating with the new hormone ratios
For now I decided to stay away from it and cope with minoxidil and microneedling. I need DHT for PEmaxx and bonemaxx

Now, is it reasonable to assume that while it does so, the MPB silently progresses, albeit at a slower rate

This would be the case for some people, while for others finasteride can practically halt their hair loss for an infinite amount of time. The important difference between the two scenarios would be the individuals genetic predisposition to MPB, which defines the final Norwood pattern. Another factor that comes into play is the inherent higher sensitivity to androgens of temple hairs compared to vertex hairs, which means that finasteride is worse at saving the "hairline" than the crown. For example, I remember a thread on another forum from a late 40s guy with extensive balding in his family (expected to go NW6-7) who started finasteride relatively early (mid twenties IIRC) and still lost some of his hairline, ending up with a NW3 in the span of 20+ years. Interestingly enough, his crown was in virtually pristine condition which made him a perfect candidate for a HT.

So yea, if you're destined to go NW6-7, finasteride might only work at keeping you 2-3 norwoods lower than that, but if you start it early as someone who is not prone to severe MPB, you'd most definitely stay around baseline for a long time.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: court monarch777, BigBoy, InexorableMed and 1 other person
This would be the case for some people, while for others finasteride can practically halt their hair loss for an infinite amount of time. The important difference between the two scenarios would be the individuals genetic predisposition to MPB, which defines the final Norwood pattern. Another factor that comes into play is the inherent higher sensitivity to androgens of temple hairs compared to vertex hairs, which means that finasteride is worse at saving the "hairline" than the crown. For example, I remember a thread on another forum from a late 40s guy with extensive balding in his family (expected to go NW6-7) who started finasteride relatively early (mid twenties IIRC) and still lost some of his hairline, ending up with a NW3 in the span of 20+ years. Interestingly enough, his crown was in virtually pristine condition which made him a perfect candidate for a HT.

So yea, if you're destined to go NW6-7, finasteride might only work at keeping you 2-3 norwoods lower than that, but if you start it early as someone who is not prone to severe MPB, you'd most definitely stay around baseline for a long time.
Thanks for the input!

I'll let DHT to complement my PE first now that I inject T. Then I'll nuke it dead.

this ruined my hope. my father is full NW7 at a pretty young age. I thought I saved my life by hopping on fin at a young age at like NW2. but seems like I'm gonna be fucked eventually anyway

• So Sad
Reactions: RAITEIII and beyourself