Does creatine cause acne?

Giorgio

Giorgio

Silver
Form quick research I can't find any link between creatine and acne, however I am getting a sea of reddit anecdotes of people saying creatine made them break out.

Additionally for me, one time I tried creatine it appeared to cause a breakout, but I can't be sure with a sample size of one & many other factors at play. ATM I'm on creatine, and I am getting acne, however I can't isolate it down to creatine.

@jfbjfb thoughts? I remember you had a strong opinion on creatine & acne

• +1
Reactions: jfbjfb, ongongfr and BrutalMogger
well it increases dht and some people report going bald cause of it so i would avoid it tbh. creatine does nothing for me anyway

• +1
Reactions: nathan, Giorgio and BrutalMogger
Not sure, but it's a natural occuring thing that is in meat. It shouldn't cause acne I think.

• +1
Reactions: nathan, Giorgio and BrutalMogger
Form quick research I can't find any link between creatine and acne, however I am getting a sea of reddit anecdotes of people saying creatine made them break out.

Additionally for me, one time I tried creatine it appeared to cause a breakout, but I can't be sure with a sample size of one & many other factors at play. ATM I'm on creatine, and I am getting acne, however I can't isolate it down to creatine.

Creatine causes dick cancer

I had the intuition that creatine could be the culprit behind my acne issues some years ago but I have yet to find the proper scientific evidence to justify so. The rugby study is indeed misleading and as you point out it has not been replicated. The creatine group started with DHT levels 23% lower than the ones in the placebo group, which may not produce a fair comparison of results. It is sometimes hypothesized that people on creatine exercise more, thus they sweat more, leading to the buildup of dirt and potentially exacerbating acne.

From my personal experience I could also observe a correlation between my acne and the creatine I was taking. The blood tests revealed creatinine values just above 10% the upper limit while I was breaking out like crazy. However, my gym buddy was lighter than me and despite taking a couple of creatine scoops a day he still had baby smooth skin. Stopping creatine improved very slightly my skin but altogether my actual conclusion is that there seems to be no causation.