Does fix retainer stop foward growth?

Aragorn

Aragorn

Iron
I have 4 pieces of fix reteiner in 4 teeths only under and upper jaw

• +1
Reactions: WatermelonLover
Yeah it does. I still wear braces, but i´ll ditch retainers after 2 years with them. I don´t want to get any bone damage. Try to do some research on your own on r/orthothropics but certainly keeping the retainers will stop you from advancing your maxilla and getting width.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Allornothing and maxxmclooks
Yeah it does. I still wear braces, but i´ll ditch retainers after 2 years with them. I don´t want to get any bone damage. Try to do some research on your own on r/orthothropics but certainly keeping the retainers will stop you from advancing your maxilla and getting width.
But its only in 4 frontal teeths

But its only in 4 frontal teeths
No forward growth that´s sure. I´m not sure about horizontal growth, but is best to ditch them. Maybe visit a myo functional therapist to help you with correct oral posture.

• JFL
Reactions: Allornothing
No why would it?
Frontal fixed retainers stop the maxilla from moving forwards, the forces coming from your tongue can´t expand it, it´s like a dam, where the water is the force but it can´t expand because of the wall. Research it on your own, I´m sure I won´t be able to convince you otherwise.

• JFL
Reactions: Allornothing
no. I asked my orthodontist about this, and while the retainers do keep the TEETH in position, the bone itself can still be moved (the teeth then will go along WITH the bone, as they are anchored in the bone). However, moving the teeth INSIDE the bone is a different thing than moving the BONE itself.

Frontal fixed retainers stop the maxilla from moving forwards, the forces coming from your tongue can´t expand it, it´s like a dam, where the water is the force but it can´t expand because of the wall. Research it on your own, I´m sure I won´t be able to convince you otherwise.
They don’t restrict the maxilla at all they just prevent the teeth from moving