does keto + intermittent fasting work together?

vitaminD3

vitaminD3

Bronze
do they enhance one another or is there no direct correlation between the 2?

muscle wasting + will become skinny fat afterwards because of bad habits

• +1
Reactions: vitaminD3
what habits? what if i do it for 3 months to go from 20%bf to 13-14%? i didnt really workout during quarantine and went from 17%-20%ish

what habits? what if i do it for 3 months to go from 20%bf to 13-14%? i didnt really workout during quarantine and went from 17%-20%ish
you will go back up in bf or develop bdd. keto is rarely successful for people in the long run

• +1
u wanna be a skeleton my nigga?

• JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: grimy and vitaminD3
do either 1 or the other. recommend keto but whatever

• +1
If you are really 20% bf you can just do a body recomposition (eventually with intermittent fasting), aka eat as much as your TDEE with high protein, strength training and proper recovery. You'll build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but the process will be slow

• +1
If you are really 20% bf you can just do a body recomposition (eventually with intermittent fasting), aka eat as much as your TDEE with high protein, strength training and proper recovery. You'll build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but the process will be slow
how slow? i don't have access to a gym till a few months later so I was planning to cut in 2-3months then gain back some muscle and find a stable/suitable range probably 14-15% bf till january 2022 ish. is body recomposition the way to go even without a gym?

• So Sad
Reactions: Julius
how slow? i don't have access to a gym till a few months later so I was planning to cut in 2-3months then gain back some muscle and find a stable/suitable range probably 14-15% bf till january 2022 ish. is body recomposition the way to go even without a gym?
If you can't work out then doing a body recomposition is pretty much impossible tbh.

Strength training signals your body to create energy by burning adipose tissue, and using that energy to build new muscle, if you are not working out, it's not gonna happen.

Can't you just buy a pull up bar or something for the time being, so that you can train even during these months tbh?

• +1
do they enhance one another or is there no direct correlation between the 2?
david goggins does both and he is a ultramarathon runner, so if your goals is to be a runner...

Yes i dont want big muscles
JFL If you think you'll get big muscles easily as a natural
Go ahead, do the fasting without working out, get to 13% bodyfat then check back when you're anorexic at 60 kg, regretting the past year.

There is nothing magical about either approach. There are no added benefits doing intermittent fasting or keto. In fact if anything, they are both sub optimal for the following reasons:

1. Keto is sub optimal because carbohydrates is the body's preferred fuel source, and carbs are very anabolic. On top of that, one of the most important aspects of a diet is whether or not you can stick to it long term, preferably for the rest of your life. Good luck avoiding carbs forever.

2. Intermittent fasting is sub optimal because there is no added benefit for protein synthesis once protein intake goes above 40g per meal, i.e optimally you would eat 40g of protein spaced throughout the day. Intermittent fasting usually puts you at 1-3 meals, where 3 meals I would say is a lot better than 1 or 2.

I think doing intermittent fasting can make sense, especially for people doing large caloric deficits, as eating several meals if they become too small is bad for adherence. For instance, 8-16 window with 3 meals is completely fine imo and can be done basically forever with little to no impact on social life or gains.

Keto on the other hands, just makes no sense. Its a dumb gimmick for lazy people.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8988 and vitaminD3
"This study suggests that when combined with strength training, a keto diet is perfectly adequate for increasing body weight, most of which is lean muscle. The keto diet has also been shown to preserve muscle mass during training—dispelling the myth that keto will cause you to lose muscle"

The reason skinnyfat exists is because of carbs and lack of exercise .

Yes op they do because both methods will make you fat adapted .

• +1
"This study suggests that when combined with strength training, a keto diet is perfectly adequate for increasing body weight, most of which is lean muscle. The keto diet has also been shown to preserve muscle mass during training—dispelling the myth that keto will cause you to lose muscle"

The reason skinnyfat exists is because of carbs and lack of exercise .

Yes op they do because both methods will make you fat adapted .
The reason the study showed keto is "perfectly adequate" is because enough total calories and protein were ingested. Has nothing to do with avoiding carbs.

The reason skinnyfat exists is this: lack of muscle mass and some amount of excess fat. This happens because of 1. lifestyle 2. genetics 3. too many calories. Carbs has absolutely nothing to do with it.

• +1
JFL If you think you'll get big muscles easily as a natural
Go ahead, do the fasting without working out, get to 13% bodyfat then check back when you're anorexic at 60 kg, regretting the past year.
im 16 5'9 1/2 and i played rugby previously so i don't really want a big buldging muscles because that will make me look shorter.

The reason the study showed keto is "perfectly adequate" is because enough total calories and protein were ingested. Has nothing to do with avoiding carbs.

The reason skinnyfat exists is this: lack of muscle mass and some amount of excess fat. This happens because of 1. lifestyle 2. genetics 3. too many calories. Carbs has absolutely nothing to do with it.
You dont even know how insulin works , whenever you spike it you suppress fat burning hormones making it impossible to burn fat , and since your body is adapted to burning glucose whenever insulin drops the body starts a process known as gluconeogenesis which will turn protein into glucose , hence the cortisol spike after you digest a meal , this is the reason bodybuilders and strongmen wake up at night to eat , it s not normal to eat every few hours , our ancestors went days without eating , this is why we store fat in the first place, we are adapted to famine .
I was skinnyfat my diet was based on snacks ,i would know this very well .

Studies have shown how keto is just as good at building muscle as a carb diet , and not only that but it makes burning fat and maintaining muscle much easier "Simply stated, ketone body metabolism by the brain displaces glucose utilization and thus spares muscle mass."

Worth mentioning the huge benefits which come with fasting during keto diet which go beyond burning fat .

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7419
You dont even know how insulin works , whenever you spike it you suppress fat burning hormones making it impossible to burn fat , and since your body is adapted to burning glucose whenever insulin drops the body starts a process known as gluconeogenesis which will turn protein into glucose , hence the cortisol spike after you digest a meal , this is the reason bodybuilders and strongmen wake up at night to eat , it s not normal to eat every few hours , our ancestors went days without eating , this is why we store fat in the first place, we are adapted to famine .
I was skinnyfat my diet was based on snacks ,i would know this very well .

Studies have shown how keto is just as good at building muscle as a carb diet , and not only that but it makes burning fat and maintaining muscle much easier "Simply stated, ketone body metabolism by the brain displaces glucose utilization and thus spares muscle mass."

Worth mentioning the huge benefits which come with fasting during keto diet which go beyond burning fat .

Interesting assumption. I know how insulin works, and I know you and the guy in the video are misunderstanding how it correlates to weight loss.

First of all, attempt to think about it logically: How many guys who aren't fat do you know, who also eats carbohydrates? Probably most guys, right? How can you even explain that considering that they are constantly spiking their insulin with carbs like sugary soda, ice cream, pizza, pasta etc? In fact, aren't most bodybuilders and professional athletes constantly eating carbs? How the hell does that work? Shouldn't they all be fat with diabetes slowly killing them?

Spiking insulin isn't an issue as long as you are in a caloric deficit, the same way not spiking insulin is irrelevant if you are in a caloric surplus - the body needs energy, if you provide less than is needed, it takes from the fat cells. It is that simple, studies have proved it time and time again.

"
Background: Long-term weight loss and cardiometabolic effects of a very-low-carbohydrate, high-saturated-fat diet (LC) and a high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet (LF) have not been evaluated under isocaloric conditions.

Objective: The objective was to compare an energy-controlled LC diet with an LF diet at 1 y."

"Under planned isoenergetic conditions, as expected, both dietary patterns resulted in similar weight loss and changes in body composition. The LC diet may offer clinical benefits to obese persons with insulin resistance. However, the increase in LDL cholesterol with the LC diet suggests that this measure should be monitored."

further:

"Our results suggest that a KD might be an alternative dietary approach to decrease fat mass and visceral adipose tissue without decreasing lean body mass; however, it might not be useful to increase muscle mass during positive energy balance in men undergoing RT for 8 weeks."

It will significantly decrease chance for getting cancer