Does palatal expansion result in malocclusion (if it was fine beforehand)

Anon1234

Anon1234

Iron
If a person has good occlusion but then expands their palate, will they end up with a malocclusion? Or will the mandible adjust in a way that assures proper occlusion? Does a retainer on your lower front teeth stop this from happening (assuming it normally does)?

I hope you get the gist of my question I understand that it's phrased a bit weirdly. To illustrate my question I have carefully designed this epic graphic. Upper dental arch is in red and lower dental arch is in green.

Basically is it either process 1) or 2) that takes place (or maybe something in between)? And does a retainer on the lower front teeth affect/ block process 2)?

you need to have a plan for the lower mandible, every orthodontist will tell you this so you need to take this into consideration when it comes to financing your expansion, chances are the expansion of the lower will be just as much, if not more expensive

you need to have a plan for the lower mandible, every orthodontist will tell you this so you need to take this into consideration when it comes to financing your expansion, chances are the expansion of the lower will be just as much, if not more expensive
"The marpe is not as expensive as the braces or invisalign you need to do after."

Direct quote from ortho who quoted me $5200 for MARPE.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 32529 and Giorgio
"The marpe is not as expensive as the braces or invisalign you need to do after."

Direct quote from ortho who quoted me $5200 for MARPE.
that is exactly what I just said

the lower expansion is as expensive as the solution for the lower one (if not more), and the braces/aligning solution will be just as expensive as the expansion...

and 5.2K for marpe is on the higher end

that is exactly what I just said

the lower expansion is as expensive as the solution for the lower one (if not more), and the braces/aligning solution will be just as expensive as the expansion...

and 5.2K for marpe is on the higher end
yeah, i was adding details/backing you up

although the braces/aligners are the lower expansion. they just move/tilt the teeth to line up with the expanded maxilla

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Giorgio
y

The mandible does not adjust. We dont live in a magical world.
youre actually sped, this is like saying mewing doesnt work when wolffs law exists

If a person has good occlusion but then expands their palate, will they end up with a malocclusion? Or will the mandible adjust in a way that assures proper occlusion? Does a retainer on your lower front teeth stop this from happening (assuming it normally does)?

I hope you get the gist of my question I understand that it's phrased a bit weirdly. To illustrate my question I have carefully designed this epic graphic. Upper dental arch is in red and lower dental arch is in green.
View attachment 2401738

Basically is it either process 1) or 2) that takes place (or maybe something in between)? And does a retainer on the lower front teeth affect/ block process 2)?
the best way to get palatal expanders is to first fix posture as much as you can and get starecta, then you can get palatal expanders, either get alf or mse but i would suggest getting mse first then get alf and hardmew

i believe a couple mm is possible if you expand slowly as the TMJ is located on the maxilla, which you are expanding, and if you allow time for bone remodelling (why mew says it works for mewing as its a very slow process) you may get some expansion

the best way to get palatal expanders is to first fix posture as much as you can and get starecta, then you can get palatal expanders, either get alf or mse but i would suggest getting mse first then get alf and hardmew
You actually seem to know what your talking about, I am currently doing upper and lower alf then MSE.