Does topical minoxidil cause collagen loss or wrinkles?

D

Deleted member 21863

‏‏‎ ‎
I just fucking woke up and my forehead looks different compared to the rest of my face.

Last time I was using minoxidil liquid it gave me lines under the eyes and side of the nose, had to spend 2 days in a row in the sauna and steam to clear my skin.

I switched to the foam version because it's quicker at absorption and doesn't risk spilling around.

I asked ChatGPT about it and the answer is inconclusive:

As for minoxidil, it is primarily known as a treatment for hair loss, either in liquid or foam form. Some studies have suggested that it might potentially cause collagen depletion, but these studies are not conclusive and more research is needed to substantiate these claims. Some users have reported skin aging symptoms such as wrinkles and dark circles under the eyes after using minoxidil. However, it's important to note that correlation does not imply causation. There could be many factors at play, including age, genetics, stress, diet, and general skincare practices.

If you're considering using minoxidil and you're concerned about potential skin aging effects, it would be best to consult with a dermatologist or a healthcare provider. They could provide more personalized advice based on your skin type and health history. Also, remember that it's always important to have good skincare habits, such as using sunscreen, moisturizing, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle to promote good skin health.

Does anyone else here use topical minoxidil long term and have you noticed any skin degradation? Or is it nocebo.

@andy9432 @TrestIsBest @SubhumanCurrycel

Absolutely no idea but tag me when you find out

Never used topical minoxidil. I only used oral minoxidil 5mg. But yeah, topical minoxidil does cause collagen loss and less collagen = more wrinkles.

Never used topical minoxidil. I only used oral minoxidil 5mg. But yeah, topical minoxidil does cause collagen loss and less collagen = more wrinkles.
Localised collagen loss only on the application area or does it have more coverage (like further down the face)?

I'm also using tretinoin so it should balance out right?

Localised collagen loss only on the application area or does it have more coverage (like further down the face)?

I'm also using tretinoin so it should balance out right?
I think its localized, but the problem with topical minoxidil is not only collagen loss, but loss of moisturize due to the alcohol. Maybe tretinoin cancels out the collagen loss, but it doesnt cancel out the moisturize loss.

• +1
Reactions: Milk and Deleted member 21863
I think its localized, but the problem with topical minoxidil is not only collagen loss, but loss of moisturize due to the alcohol. Maybe tretinoin cancels out the collagen loss, but it doesnt cancel out the moisturize loss.
I'm using foam version without alcohol.

IMG 20230519 070539

Do u feel ur skin drying, or is it just the collagen?
Doesn't feel dry, if anything feels a little oily. Just the collagen is my concern

Doesn't feel dry, if anything feels a little oily. Just the collagen is my concern
Give it max 1 month more. There is reasons for ur concerns. If u feel concerned there always a reason. If it doesnt get better in 4 weeks (skin) u need to evaluate ur options, that means switching from topical to oral minoxidil.

Dont quit minoxidil ever. U will lose all ur hair gains. Its a lifelong commitment.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 21863
It’s likely just the PG and alcohol drying up your skin causing it to wrinkle

Most derms know nothing about hairloss. And topical minox doesnt go systemic so it probably only makes you lose collagen on the place that you apply it to. So dont apply on your forehead or undereyes lol

I only use it orally. Hope it doesn’t effect collagen/its effect is overpowered by Tretinoin

So using oral minoxidil is safer in terms of not using collagen than foam minoxidil?

Been using the foam on my eyebrows twice at day since the end of March this year. Haven't noticed anything different myself but maybe I'm just not noticing it. You recommend stopping regardless or switch over to oral version of minox?

So using oral minoxidil is safer in terms of not using collagen than foam minoxidil?

Been using the foam on my eyebrows twice at day since the end of March this year. Haven't noticed anything different myself but maybe I'm just not noticing it. You recommend stopping regardless or switch over to oral version of minox?
I'm using foam minoxidil it has no alcohol and dries quickly. I think this is safe to use and if there is any marginal effect I'm sure it's significantly overpowered by tretinoin

Yes minoxidil will age your skin

Did for me anyway

Yes minoxidil will age your skin

Did for me anyway
Do you have any before after pictures showing comparison or is it nocebo cope

It doesn't have a significant effect and even if it does it's only on the site of application

I'm using foam minoxidil it has no alcohol and dries quickly. I think this is safe to use and if there is any marginal effect I'm sure it's significantly overpowered by tretinoin
Which brand minoxidil is it with no alcohol? I have foligan minoxidil foam and it does have low alcohol (ethyl alcohol) in it.

yes, minoxidil is poison.
Use castor oil