Does working out/losing weight during puberty make you shorter or taller?

V

VLX

Iron
Hey, I am a 15yo and am overweight (I have lost like 10 pounds tho). But, I have been wondering if me losing weight and working out will make me shorter as an adult. I know this may seem like a stupid question to a lot of people but, there are so many people on .org that say that "working out and dieting during puberty will make you shorter, you need all the nutrition you can get!!!" But there are also people saying that me being overweight during puberty will make me shorter, so do I just continue working out and losing weight or do I stop? Does losing weight only affect growth if it is something severe like starvemaxxing? My maintenance calories are about 3000 calories, and I have a caloric intake of about 2500 - 2600 per day. And I workout/play basketball so I lose about 300 - 500 calories extra. (So about 2300 calories). So my diet isn't that extreme.

My guess is that losing weight is beneficial for teens until they starvemaxx and reach a BF% of like under 10% or something? So losing weight + working out would be good for me and my height growth, right? :forcedsmile:

Also, I know this is anecdotal evidence, but a lot of my tall friends are or were overweight at one point. I myself am 5'11 - 6ft. Not really sure if this is relevant though. Just a thought. :feelswat:

it will never stunt your growth unless you injure yourself

• +1
Reactions: VLX