Don't take Accutane/Isotretinoin if you're a teenager!

fauxfox

fauxfox

monke monk
I suspect Accutane closed my growth plates early and reduced my bone density, causing osteopenia.
It also caused severe depression which harmed all facets of my life for years.

I really wish I never found out about this drug, and I greatly regret taking it. To all teenagers considering Accutane, just wait until you're at least 18 years old.

I visited my doctor and we went over my height records from the past. First I measured my height and it was 5'11, then we checked my records and when I was 15 years old nearing 16 I was 5'10.7. This means I grew 1/3 of an inch at MOST from 16 years old until 19(when growth typically ends).

I'm shorter than my younger brothers by about 2 inches and I have size 13 feet, so who knows maybe my growth plates closed early naturally but 16 seems like a very early age for that, most guys were in their growth spurts during then. 5'11 isn't a bad height at all, just sucks that I might've stunted my development. I suspect I would've been 6'1.

Also it fucked my bone density hard, I have osteopenia which only really happens to post menopausal women. Osteopenia is in between healthy bones and osteoporosis, thankfully it's treatable and weight lifting/vitamins help.

It permanently changed me mentally. I feel like I lost that spark/drive, the bright and loud boy I was no longer exists. It made me a husk of a person who isolated from others during high school. I honestly feel like a dumber person than I used to be. This is the most depressing effect of them all...

IF YOU'RE BELOW 18 STAY AWAY FROM ACCUTANE, CLEAR SKIN ISN'T WORTH ALL THESE TRADEOFFS
:feelswhy:

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: coolguy1, Hero of the Imperium, Salludon and 10 others
Brutal, I know a guy that started taking accutane at 14, he's 5'5 at 25

• +1
  • So Sad
  • JFL
Reactions: coolguy1, Deleted member 4946, jake_okok and 4 others
stop coping drink a gallon of milk a day and lift rocks in the woods

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 10524 and Deleted member 10615
No Accutane didn't stunt your growth, most men stop growing at 15-16. The reason why you're a Manlet is because of shit genes.

• +1
  • WTF
Reactions: FreakkForLife, GymCelNeckPill, BobbyJindalsTwin and 2 others
I stopped growing around age 16, I don't think its accutane

Yeah I've heard of that from multiple people.
It's weird that dermatologists don't seem to know about this.

Fuck and I was going to start accutand in these next few weeks

But I think I’ve stopped growing so I’m probably going to take it

My acne can’t be ignored it’s severe and other things do t work amazing

Yes, stunted growth is one of the possible side effects of taking accutane/isotretinoin, as is decreased bone density and a bunch of other horrible side effects. However, these side effects are very rare, occurring only in about 1 in 10 000 patients.

Either you were just really unlucky and it actually fucked with your growth, or you just have “bad” genetics to begin with (5’11 is not bad). I suspect the latter.

I was on isotretinoin myself for 5 months and I am still growing fine at 16. Currently 184 cm’s tall and I am expected to finish growing once I hit 185-187 cm’s.

Yes, stunted growth is one of the possible side effects of taking accutane/isotretinoin, as is decreased bone density and a bunch of other horrible side effects. However, these side effects are very rare, occurring only in about 1 in 10 000 patients.

Either you were just really unlucky and it actually fucked with your growth, or you just have “bad” genetics to begin with (5’11 is not bad). I suspect the latter.

I was on isotretinoin myself for 5 months and I am still growing fine at 16. Currently 184 cm’s tall and I am expected to finish growing once I hit 185-187 cm’s.
I suspect these side effects aren't as rare as they're made out to be, they're far more common but go unnoticed.

The physical side effects I listed (Osteopenia and Stunted Growth) are very hard to quantify and be aware of. I didn't know I had osteopenia at all before getting an X-Ray done, I didn't feel it at all. These are two side effects that are by nature hard to identify and report. And there's always the possibility the drug makers downplay the risks.

Also no one in my immediate family has or has ever had bone density issues. I'm the only one and Accutane is the only differing factor.

Lol at this cope. It’s your genetics not Accutane. I didn’t grow a cm after 15-16.

Lol at this cope. It’s your genetics not Accutane. I didn’t grow a cm after 15-16.
How do you explain the osteopenia? VIrtually unheard of for men my age, Accutane is the only likely cause. I've taken daily multivitamins since I was 14

If it ruined my bone density it's not a stretch in the slightest that it may have also impacted bone development/growth

Last edited:
I suspect these side effects aren't as rare as they're made out to be, they're far more common but go unnoticed.

The physical side effects I listed (Osteopenia and Stunted Growth) are very hard to quantify and be aware of. I didn't know I had osteopenia at all before getting an X-Ray done, I didn't feel it at all. These are two side effects that are by nature hard to identify and report. And there's always the possibility the drug makers downplay the risks.

Also no one in my immediate family has or has ever had bone density issues. I'm the only one and Accutane is the only differing factor.
Well, at least I can agree with you here and say that you most likely got osteopenia from accutane, which is unlucky. You’re also right that it’s very difficult to identify stunted growth, as you won’t be able to easily tell if it’s due to age/genetics that you stopped growing or the medication.

Accutane is a very risky drug, but if you feel very uncomfortable about your acne and it’s impacting your everyday life heavily I would still recommend you take it. Even if the more serious side effects are more common than they are made out to be, say 1 in 1000, it’s still a relatively low risk for the reward. If you can afford to wait however, I would also agree with OP and suggest not taking it before 18.

Yeah accutane fucked my whilst I was on it lol. I took it from like 17-18 idk if it had any permanent changes (I was on it for like a full year which is unusual so it probably did)
Did wonders for my skin though

How is this relevant? OP is warning that some people run the risk of getting their growth plates closed

How is this relevant? OP is warning that some people run the risk of getting their growth plates closed
Your growth plates closing is literally genetics. I know a shit ton of people who took Accutane in high school and are over 6”

Your growth plates closing is literally genetics. I know a shit ton of people who took Accutane in high school and are over 6”
there are studies that show accutane can accelerate it or something along those lines if you take it for a long period of time. it is worth noting. Yeah i dont think it happens to every person that takes accutane

Took accutane when I was 16 or 17. Didn't grow much after that. Could be because I was an early grower. Gave me depression while i was on it and some panic attacks. I have the feeling I am less sharp after I took accutane but can't confirm anything for 100%.

• +1
Reactions: coolguy1, Hero of the Imperium, jake_okok and 1 other person
there are studies that show accutane can accelerate it or something along those lines if you take it for a long period of time. it is worth noting. Yeah i dont think it happens to every person that takes accutane
I’m on my second dose of Accutane right now. I had like 0 side effects apart from dryness and rashes from not using moisturizer properly.

After my first course, I ended up getting minor acne again (not as bad as before) and I’m in the middle of my second now. To most people with bad acne, honestly just take Accutane tbh. Make sure you know the risks but they’re very very rare.

• +1
Reactions: GymCelNeckPill, Deleted member 10615 and jake_okok
I took accutane when I was 16 and half (10mg daily only though), I also never grew taller afterwards but I think 10mg is not enough to cause this toxicity any way..

100% agree. Having fucked up skin isn't nearly as bad as being a manlet for life. I started taking Accutane at age 17 but my growth ended at 15 anyway. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone below 18. I have really fucked up acne scars now, but laser treatments are an option. 4 sessions cost about 1600 euro.

100% agree. Having fucked up skin isn't nearly as bad as being a manlet for life. I started taking Accutane at age 17 but my growth ended at 15 anyway. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone below 18. I have really fucked up acne scars now, but laser treatments are an option. 4 sessions cost about 1600 euro.
I am scarred for life too. Took it at age 16.5 and don’t know to this day if it affected me or not. Probably not because it was only like 10mg daily and I was lazy and stopped taking it when I saw results but when the acne came back I restarted treatment JFL