Failure training, bad or good long term?

zxim

zxim

Bronze
My Mongolian king @barettrealrx has shaped me into thinking failure training is bad as it causes too much fatigue, overtraining, etc.

Tiktokcels are all about that reps to failure
I looked on bodybuilding forums and MPMD discord server and they do reps till failure and laughed at me when I said that failure reps is not good.

I heard reps to failure is fine for beginners but bad for intermediate and advanced lifters.

What makes failure training good that majority of gymcels do it? I feel like it could regress or plateau hypertrophy.

I’ve always been sticking to rep ranges close to failure but not to failure.

i train for strength and power first of all not gay muscle hypertrophy

i want a angulated aesthetic body not one with maxxed out muscles

so i usually do 3 reps less than what i can dish out...and i rest 1-2 mins between exercise..workout only like 30mins a day even less if i can...usually do 2 types for each muscle and follow the normal push pull split

but at the start i repped til faliure because my frame was incredibly small so getting big was important now i dont overexert

remember women dont care about anything below ur neck just work out enough to make sure ur not a pencil when u wear a t shirt and u look normal

i train for strength and power first of all not gay muscle hypertrophy

i want a angulated aesthetic body not one with maxxed out muscles

so i usually do 3 reps less than what i can dish out...and i rest 1-2 mins between exercise..workout only like 30mins a day even less if i can...usually do 2 types for each muscle and follow the normal push pull split

but at the start i repped til faliure because my frame was incredibly small so getting big was important now i dont overexert

remember women dont care about anything below ur neck just work out enough to make sure ur not a pencil when u wear a t shirt and u look normal
honestly I want to be male gaze social media aesthetic, I don’t really mind if women dgaf abt muscle.

My Mongolian king @barettrealrx has shaped me into thinking failure training is bad as it causes too much fatigue, overtraining, etc.

I looked on bodybuilding forums and MPMD discord server and they do reps till failure and laughed at me when I said that failure reps is not good.

I heard reps to failure is fine for beginners but bad for intermediate and advanced lifters.

What makes failure training good that majority of gymcels do it? I feel like it could regress or plateau hypertrophy.

Do around 10 reps and u need to have about 2 in resort, going to failure is useless as natty, focus on time under tension, also keep in mind the harder you train the more you'll age and stress your body, training is for slave (I also train)

Do around 10 reps and u need to have about 2 in resort, going to failure is useless as natty, focus on time under tension, also keep in mind the harder you train the more you'll age and stress your body, training is for slave (I also train)
I know failure is useless as natty but is there source for proving it because I wanna teach other dudes because they’re stuck in their failure training

Not 100% necessary to go to complete failure but it’s just easier to gauge when you’re at failure rather than when you’re 2 or 3 reps short of it, plus you’re still leaving a non zero amount of stimulus on the table even if it is negligible.
As long as you don’t train like a retard (i.e shitty split/programming) training to failure won’t cause overtraining, usually what causes someone to be overtrained is programming like a retard and doing 30 sets a week solely targeting chest with no rest days.
Also
Just ignore all info that conflicts with your specific viewpoint theory.

Failure training is good IMO, saw pretty good growth with it when I was lifting consistently, even in boxing when I punch the bag to failure, my traps and shoulders get thicker and denser.

• +1
Reactions: TechnoBoss
What? Its the opposite. Everybody should train to failure but it becomes much more important when you get to intermediate/advanced level. The body adapts quickly- as a beginner you can grow faster while doing less. At the advanced level your muscles are very developed and well adapted to your training. At this point you have to hammer them extremely hard to force growth, because they're so used to being pushed to their limits. As a beginner, your muscles are smaller and untrained, so its easy to make them grow provided you give them enough nutrients.

If you don't train to failure you're not going to grow well. "2 reps in reserve every set" is such a fucking pencilneck mentality. Don't go full retard with every movement, doing high volume and taking every set to failure. But a lot of your sets should be to failure. It's not necessary to squat and deadlift to failure every set, just come close to it. Take 50% of your chest/back sets to failure. 100% of your bicep, rear/side delt, abs, calves, and tricep sets to failure. You can go to failure on leg isolations like hamstring curl and leg extension. You're not incurring a lot of systemic fatigue sitting on a leg extension machine Vs squatting heavy weight. Just control your volume. Eat and sleep well.

Last edited:
What? Its the opposite. Everybody should train to failure but it becomes much more important when you get to intermediate/advanced level. The body adapts quickly- as a beginner you can grow faster while doing less. At the advanced level your muscles are very developed and well adapted to your training. At this point you have to hammer them extremely hard to force growth, because they're so used to being pushed to their limits. As a beginner, your muscles are smaller and untrained, so its easy to make them grow provided you give them enough nutrients.

If you don't train to failure you're not going to grow well. "2 reps in reserve every set" is such a fucking pencilneck mentality. Don't go full retard with every movement, doing high volume and taking every set to failure. But a lot of your sets should be to failure. It's not necessary to squat and deadlift to failure every set, just come close to it. Take 50% of your chest/back sets to failure. 100% of your bicep, rear/side delt, abs, calves, and tricep sets to failure. Just control your volume. Eat and sleep well.
I’ve been lifting close to failure within my rep ranges, is that fine, is it just as good as failure as you’ve described it? I’ve noticed decent progress and my bench has been able to be repped easily from 160 to 200 in 4 months (been lifting since October)

Last edited:
I’ve been lifting close to failure within my rep ranges, is that fine
Read and comprehend what I wrote before responding to it. I explicitly said how often you should go to failure, on each muscle.

Read and comprehend what I wrote before responding to it. I explicitly said how often you should go to failure, on each muscle.
Do you have source, I’ve been taught that failure causes too much fatigue and can regress or plateau you

Do you have source, I’ve been taught that failure causes too much fatigue and can regress or plateau you
Going to failure causes regression or plateaus when volume is excessive or recovery is inadequate. Going to failure in and of itself is necessary for building muscle.

• Love it
Reactions: zxim
Going to failure causes regression or plateaus when volume is excessive or recovery is inadequate. Going to failure in and of itself is necessary for building muscle.
What about rep ranges, would you go to failure within the rep range?

What about rep ranges, would you go to failure within the rep range?
Yes, if your target rep range for tricep pushdowns is 10-12, you should reach failure within that range. If you hit failure at 15 reps, increase the weight.

• +1
Reactions: zxim
I think failure training doesn’t let you do enough volume for hypertrophy but it’s good for strength (neural adaptation). You can alternate.