Finance management degree worth it?

niqfan625

niqfan625

Ascending in 2025.
Where you from? Where would you study? Economical opportunities? What is your plan?

Give more context

No, it has no true value. Generally, STEM degrees offer better opportunities, but even that can end up with you not finding a job (don't do it solely for the money). If my goal were finance, I would go the mathematics -> actuary route.

Though make sure to research before you do, as math degrees can backfire badly.

Where you from? Where would you study? Economical opportunities? What is your plan?

Give more context
Germany, somewhere in west Germany probably my plan is to not study for too long (over 5-6 years would be too much), wanting to make good money to live a good lifestyle and work 40 hours a week max

No, it has no true value. Generally, STEM degrees offer better opportunities, but even that can end up with you not finding a job (don't do it solely for the money). If my goal were finance, I would go the mathematics -> actuary route.

Though make sure to research before you do, as math degrees can backfire badly.
Why not? My parents suggested this btw. Thinking of doing architecture or banking of some kind. Opinion on these two majors? Unfortunately math is not my strong suit im mediocare but i can be very good (A student) if i study a lot but its too hard im tired of math ngl

Why not? My parents suggested this btw. Thinking of doing architecture or banking of some kind. Opinion on these two majors? Unfortunately math is not my strong suit im mediocare but i can be very good (A student) if i study a lot but its too hard im tired of math ngl
It may work out, I'm not sure about Finanzmanagement (maybe you can become a Steuerberater or something, idk), but generally, I would suggest STEM/Medicine/(law?) first. It will give you a varied profile. If you have say, an EE degree, you're not pigeonholed and can jump into other fields as well, possibly with a bit of self-study. Your goal should be to become useful/be able to offer a service that someone values and be able to weather bad downturns. The young electrician will always have a job for example, so long as his health suffices.

Simple thing to do, is act like you have a degree now and try to look for a job. If you struggle, then that field is a dud. Also look more concretely into what you could do with said degree. E.g. medicine can go into gastro, dermatology (Hautarzt), etc. Ask people in the field what they do, how easy it is to find a job, etc.

Generally, in Germany, things still look better than elsewhere. As long as you have something that isn't gender-studies tier + don't rack up big debts, you can make it.

That's just my advice, though truth be told, I'm not sure myself atm., just speaking from what I see around me. I'm a graduate STEM student, still need to get industry experience.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: niqfan625
It may work out, I'm not sure about Finanzmanagement, but generally, I would suggest STEM/Medicine/(law?) first. It will give you a varied profile. If you have say, an EE degree, you're not pigeonholed and can jump into other fields as well, possibly with a bit of self-study. Your goal should be to become useful/be able to offer a service that someone values it and be able to weather bad downturns. The young electrician will always have a job for example, so long as his health suffices.

Simple thing to do, is act like you have a degree now and try to look for a job. If you struggle, then that field is a dud. Also look more concretely into what you could do with said degree. E.g. medicine can go into gastro, dermatology (Hautarzt), etc. Ask people in the field what they do, how easy it is to find a job, etc.

Generally, in Germany, things still look better than elsewhere. As long as you have something that isn't gender-studies tier + don't rack up big debts, you can make it.

That's just my advice, though truth be told, I'm not sure myself atm., just speaking from what I see around me. I'm a graduate STEM student, still need to get industry experience.
Thanks for the advice i have been informing on this topic a lot but i still have 0 idea on what to do. There isnt that one option where in liek, yeah that is 100% what i will do considering all factores like pay, work life balance, fun of working etc.

Thanks for the advice i have been informing on this topic a lot but i still have 0 idea on what to do. There isnt that one option where in liek, yeah that is 100% what i will do considering all factores like pay, work life balance, fun of working etc.
Yeah, it's difficult, you'll never be 100% sure either. Very rarely do people know for sure what field they want to pursue at ~20-30, I bet even older, but regardless, these choices become harder at the later ages. You can easily switch careers at 20, even 30, but at 40, 50, things change. And working will probably be boring for the most part. Take a pragmatic look at things when making decisions. As long as it's good enough, you aren't 100% in it only for the money, and enjoy some aspects, then that is a good start.

Another reason I mentioned not to pigeon hole, is because your future-self may hate what you love now. Then you can swap.

Don't overthink everything, you're likely bombarded with information + not sure what to do in life, hence naturally end up with your current thoughts. It's all a game of chance, just make sure to play with a somewhat optimal dice. Good luck.

You're welcome, hope it helps, just my two-cents.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: niqfan625
Yeah, it's difficult, you'll never be 100% sure either. Very rarely do people know for sure what field they want to pursue at ~20-30, I bet even older, but these choices become harder at the later ages. And working will probably boring for the most part. Take a pragmatic look at things when making decisions. As long as it's good enough, you aren't 100% in it only for the money, and enjoy some aspects, then that is a good start.

Another reason I mentioned not to pigeon hole, is because your future-self may hate what you love now. Then you can swap.

Don't overthink everything, you're likely bombarded with information + not sure what to do in life, hence naturally end up with your current thoughts. It's all a game of chance, just make sure to play with a somewhat optimal dice. Good luck.

You're welcome, hope it helps, just my two-cents.
Thank bro. Didnt think of the aspect or hating what i like now but it is a very good point will keep that in mind!

Depends on university. Finance heavily recruits from t20s. If you're going to a mid school it's not worth it unless you are an exceptionally hard worker