Finasteride-induced memory loss

Fear

Fear

Anatomy is Destiny
I have taken 1mg finasteride per day for about 1 and 1/2 months. About 30 days into it, I noticed certain words and names would get stuck on the tip of my tongue.

This is most unlike me and has never happened. I have been on a cocktail of cognitive decline-prevention drugs for 8 years and my brain was in perfect shape. As soon as I noticed this happening, I tried mitigating it with relevant research chemicals and supplements from my stockpile but the memory and recall issues persist and in fact are still quite pronounced.

I am quitting the drug, but I hope I have not done serious damage to my brain. Can anyone offer insight into whether I will recover and how long it might take? For what it is worth, I experienced no other side effects other than a reduction in a monstrous sex drive down to normal levels.

• +1
  • JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: thecel, jackthenerd, Tall and 3 others
I must have taken Finasteride too because I don't remember asking

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Darwined, Deleted member 9670, ThreadMatters and 58 others
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4416, Averagecel and Deleted member 2933
Brutal first response

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4416, hairyballscel, Tall and 8 others
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: RecessedPrettyboy, Deleted member 4416, Deleted member 6273 and 19 others
Yeah fin related memory loss is a thing. I'd quit it tbh.
Fuck off smart ass.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: CopingCel, Ethnicope and Fear
Yeah I think it happens to me too sometimes but idgaf to be quite honest. Also might be placebo.
Worst one was today I had something on the tip of my tongue for legit a minute and a half

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1100 and Fear
Daily reminder:

Screen Shot 2020 01 08 at 11804 pm

• JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: Nosecel and Deleted member 1100
random, hysterical retards on the internet are very, very credible, and it is good life practice to take their claims at face value.
yeah, the comment is extremely exaggerated and pretty autistic, but fin and duta do permanently have a negative effect on the regulation of 5-ar enzymes.

You'll end up converting less test to DHT.

random, hysterical retards on the internet are very, very credible, and it is good life practice to take their claims at face value.
tbh androgenetic alopecia is so depressing to research

feels like nothing can stop it except castration

yeah, the comment is extremely exaggerated and pretty autistic, but fin and duta do permanently have a negative effect on the regulation of 5-ar enzymes.

You'll end up converting less test to DHT.

original.gif

uh... YEAH, thats the entire POINT of the drug. If it DIDNT downregulate 5AR, it would be WORTHLESS for its INTENDED PURPOSE.

As far as the claim that this effect is PERMANENT, you'd have to back that up with a source that carries more weight than anonymous anecdotes on the internet, of which I will remind you, you can also find people convinced that drinking apple juice caused them cancer, or cured it. Dutasteride has an extremely long half life, which means the effects can persist for months after you have "stopped" but this is not the nearly the same thing as evidence of a PERMANENT effect.

• +1
Reactions: middayshowers and elfmaxx
uh... YEAH, thats the entire POINT of the drug. If it DIDNT downregulate 5AR, it would be WORTHLESS for its INTENDED PURPOSE.
why are you replying back to me as if I didn't understand the purpose of the drug, you're treating me like a fucking retard, quite ironic actually.

have a negative effect on the regulation of 5-ar enzymes.

If it DIDNT downregulate 5AR, it would be WORTHLESS for its INTENDED PURPOSE

Just a technical correction on a misconception that I often come across in discussions about Fin - it does not "downregulate" 5AR2, it just inhibts it. Up/downregulation is a term that is mostly used for receptors and is defined as the decrease in the quantity of a cellular component, in our case an enzyme. Now, there are different mechanisms with the help of which the cell up/downregulates stuff - it can be through epigenetic changes or by increasing substances that "dissolve" the target component. Nonetheless, this implies that the cells function is changed, that the cell has adapted. It also means that after discontinuation of finasteride, one would temporarily have LESS TOTAL AMOUNT of 5AR2, which could explain in part the symptoms of PFS, but has been disproven as a concept.

@Darkwill , you ask a question about the theoretical therapy of a "syndrome" that has not even been proven to exist on a forum where 99.9% of the people have 0 scientific background, let alone in the topic of interest. Not getting an answer on that one, boyo

• +1
Reactions: Cretinous and Deleted member 2756
Just a technical correction on a misconception that I often come across in discussions about Fin - it does not "downregulate" 5AR2, it just inhibts it. Up/downregulation is a term that is mostly used for receptors and is defined as the decrease in the quantity of a cellular component, in our case an enzyme. Now, there are different mechanisms with the help of which the cell up/downregulates stuff - it can be through epigenetic changes or by increasing substances that "dissolve" the target component. Nonetheless, this implies that the cells function is changed, that the cell has adapted. It also means that after discontinuation of finasteride, one would temporarily have LESS TOTAL AMOUNT of 5AR2, which could explain in part the symptoms of PFS, but has been disproven as a concept.

@Darkwill , you ask a question about the theoretical therapy of a "syndrome" that has not even been proven to exist on a forum where 99.9% of the people have 0 scientific background, let alone in the topic of interest. Not getting an answer on that one, boyo
Currently searching for where I saw that it permanently lowers the production of 5-ar. I think it was ray peat who suggested it.

Jesus Christ, this is certainly TOP 3 best replies on the history of this forum, the meme simply transcended to another level

JHKKbpo.gif

• +1
  • JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: RecessedPrettyboy, Deleted member 4416, Tall and 7 others
Currently searching for where I saw that it permanently lowers the production of 5-ar. I think it was ray peat who suggested it.
"We found no evidence of androgen deficiency, decreased peripheral androgen action, or persistent peripheral inhibition of SRD5A in men with persistent sexual symptoms after finasteride use."

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: middayshowers and Deleted member 2756
"We found no evidence of androgen deficiency, decreased peripheral androgen action, or persistent peripheral inhibition of SRD5A in men with persistent sexual symptoms after finasteride use."

I'm assuming you're on fin,

what's your experience, be honest, do you have weak erections, watery semen, and low sex drive?

I'm assuming you're on fin,
Im not, its just an interesting topic for me in general because im a med student, but due to the fact that norwooding is a looksmaxxers biggest fear as well

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2756
please :lul::lul::lul: the anti-finasteride agenda has to stop. this site got into your head and now you're suffering from placebo effects.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Zeta ascended, Deleted member 1464, Michael and 2 others
lol, placeboing like a little bitch

@Goblin

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1464
I took oral finasteride 5 years ago for 6 months. I also experienced cognitive problems after 2 months but I stuck with it until the 6 month mark were I was on the verge on suicide because I couldn't talk anymore. I didn't remember any word, I couldn't focus on anything even for 5 minutes, couldn't remember things, couldn't make a sentece without faltering and I couldn't understand what I was reading. For example I could read the word "home" and my brain just couldn't understand what it meant. It took a whole 2-3 minute for it to grasp the meaning. The same happened for literally every word. It was frightening and I'm not exaggerating. I was really close to sucide.
To this day I still suffer from it, it got better sure but I'm still not as sharp as I used to be....I'd say I'm 50% of what I was before taking this drug.

Of course not everybody experience the same thing from finasteride. Our genetic makeup is different so it's normal that not everybody is affected by it.
It seems like people who take finasteride can be divided in four groups:
1) People who experience both mental and sexual side effects
2) People who experience only mental side effects (I'm in this group)
3) People who experience only sexual side effects
4) People who don't experience any side effects.

Personally it was the worst decision I took in my life and I regret it so much. I wish I never touched that poison. It ruined my career, my cognition and my life.

The word on the tip of the tongue is a very common occurrence to me after taking finasteride.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • So Sad
  • JFL
Reactions: Schizoidcel, Fear, Michael and 3 others
Damn bros.
I'm 100% as I was before fin..... + more hair.
But I will take extra notice of any cognitive sides in the future.

Damn bros.
I'm 100% as I was before fin..... + more hair.
But I will take extra notice of any cognitive sides in the future.

That can cause a nocebo effect though...

• +1
Reactions: SixFootManlet and Deleted member 1464
Ask yourself, what matters more - your hair or your memory?

The answer is always: your hair.

No man ever became an incel from having poor memory. Plenty of men became incels after being raped by the Norwood Reaper, though.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1464
I took oral finasteride 5 years ago for 6 months. I also experienced cognitive problems after 2 months but I stuck with it until the 6 month mark were I was on the verge on suicide because I couldn't talk anymore. I didn't remember any word, I couldn't focus on anything even for 5 minutes, couldn't remember things, couldn't make a sentece without faltering and I couldn't understand what I was reading. For example I could read the word "home" and my brain just couldn't understand what it meant. It took a whole 2-3 minute for it to grasp the meaning. The same happened for literally every word. It was frightening and I'm not exaggerating. I was really close to sucide.
To this day I still suffer from it, it got better sure but I'm still not as sharp as I used to be....I'd say I'm 50% of what I was before taking this drug.

Of course not everybody experience the same thing from finasteride. Our genetic makeup is different so it's normal that not everybody is affected by it.
It seems like people who take finasteride can be divided in four groups:
1) People who experience both mental and sexual side effects
2) People who experience only mental side effects (I'm in this group)
3) People who experience only sexual side effects
4) People who don't experience any side effects.

Personally it was the worst decision I took in my life and I regret it so much. I wish I never touched that poison. It ruined my career, my cognition and my life.

The word on the tip of the tongue is a very common occurrence to me after taking finasteride.

Not trying to discredit anything you said, but check if there is a gas leak/carbon monoxide poisoning in your surroundings.
Dead srs.

• +1
Reactions: middayshowers, SixFootManlet and Deleted member 3162
  • +1
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 4416, Deleted member 2756 and Ethnicope
First reply is the funniest thing I've seen on this forum.

My only side is still not as thick semen as before. Hairloss has completely stopped and I'm getting some regrowth. I'm happy so far.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 1100, middayshowers, Deleted member 3962 and 3 others
Jesus Christ, this is certainly TOP 3 best replies on the history of this forum, the meme simply transcended to another level

JHKKbpo.gif
I wasn't trying to be mean tbh, but he is venting and in the wrong section of the forum.

Not mad at the result tho, high validation from all the reacts.

• +1
Reactions: Fear
All,

Thanks for the replies. Forgive me for not knowing where and where not to post. I am not familiar with the structure of the forum and/or don't particularly give a shit.

Anyway, I must say that I was not at all myself when I started this thread. I don't even recognize the person freaking out in the original post and subsequent replies. Very uncharacteristically panicked and desperate. A laugh at my expense was most deserved.

Luckily, having been off finasteride for 3 days, I feel like myself again.

To anyone saying otherwise, the cognitive effects were definitely not placebo/nocebo. I was not looking for them to happen and in fact disregarded the many reports you can read all around the internet. Besides, I also read about the side effects relating to semen and ED, but I didn't experience those. The bottom line is that everyone is simply different. You were either just lucky enough to not get those side effects or your baseline cognitive performance is so low that any decline is negligible/unnoticeable.

At least I learned that 5α-reductase inhibitors are not to be trifled with and @Ethnicope received some presumably much needed ego validation.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: CopingCel and Ethnicope
All,

Thanks for the replies. Forgive me for not knowing where and where not to post. I am not familiar with the structure of the forum and/or don't particularly give a shit.

Anyway, I must say that I was not at all myself when I started this thread. I don't even recognize the person freaking out in the original post and subsequent replies. Very uncharacteristically panicked and desperate. A laugh at my expense was most deserved.

Luckily, having been off finasteride for 3 days, I feel like myself again.

To anyone saying otherwise, the cognitive effects were definitely not placebo/nocebo. I was not looking for them to happen and in fact disregarded the many reports you can read all around the internet. Besides, I also read about the side effects relating to semen and ED, but I didn't experience those. The bottom line is that everyone is simply different. You were either just lucky enough to not get those side effects or your baseline cognitive performance is so low that any decline is negligible/unnoticeable.

At least I learned that 5α-reductase inhibitors are not to be trifled with and @Ethnicope received some presumably much needed ego validation.
haha, good for you bro

nah i get validation from instagram and going out with stacies, but thanks

Last edited:

"Finasteride impairs cognitive performance, alters dendritic morphology and increases tau phosphorylation."

Functional Brain Imaging alteration in 5-AR inhibitor patients.

Get off of Finasteride. Visit propeciahelp.com for more science and Post Finasteride Syndrome patients. Your hair is only cosmetic, the effects of Finasteride are devastating.

• +1
Reactions: jackthenerd, Maxillacel and Fear
Dumb brain with hair > High IQ bulbhead that dries the jb pussy

• +1
Reactions: Griffith
Why is there war here between Pro(anti) Fin users? If you don't want to use it, be my guest. But don't start crying in a few years when the follicles are dead and you have a NW5+. Fin only prevents, regrowth is minimal and rare, so you either take action today or LDAR.

Why is there war here between Pro(anti) Fin users? If you don't want to use it, be my guest. But don't start crying in a few years when the follicles are dead and you have a NW5+. Fin only prevents, regrowth is minimal and rare, so you either take action today or LDAR.
Because the high inhib anti-fin pussies are extremely upset that low inhib alpha risk takers maintain their hair with this "toxic drug" and steal their women. Same reason why the soy losers will claim you should "just shave it bruh"

Look I do some really basic light programming and I'm not completely new but I'm no where near professional. I can say 100% without a doubt that I've noticed some changes, and I do seem to have more trouble sleeping. We could say it's the lack of sleep, but I'm telling you that he is probably exaggerating. However, I can tell if its been more than a couple of days since taking a dose suddenly problems that seem tough before seem like they can be easily accomplished. Is it worth it, I havn't decided yet. But I'm thinking that minox and a hair implant seems like the better way to go, but I'm only like Norwood 2-3 but with some with some general thinness. but I think once the brain gets used to or develops with fairly high dht, then from then on you will feel a little funny without as much circulating. Just my two cents. It could also be lowering general BP too. I've noticed that will decrease your ability to sleep as well. There is a correlation between low bp (trouble falling asleep or staying) and high bp (sleep well).

Look I do some really basic light programming and I'm not completely new but I'm no where near professional. I can say 100% without a doubt that I've noticed some changes, and I do seem to have more trouble sleeping. We could say it's the lack of sleep, but I'm telling you that he is probably exaggerating. However, I can tell if its been more than a couple of days since taking a dose suddenly problems that seem tough before seem like they can be easily accomplished. Is it worth it, I havn't decided yet. But I'm thinking that minox and a hair implant seems like the better way to go, but I'm only like Norwood 2-3 but with some with some general thinness. but I think once the brain gets used to or develops with fairly high dht, then from then on you will feel a little funny without as much circulating. Just my two cents. It could also be lowering general BP too. I've noticed that will decrease your ability to sleep as well. There is a correlation between low bp (trouble falling asleep or staying) and high bp (sleep well).

What qualifies you to make the absolutely baseless claim that I’m exaggerating? You don’t know me and you’re not an authority on the topic. On top of that, all I did was share my experience and connect it to biology, so the most you could possibly say is that you had a different experience. Nothing entitles you to not only dismiss my experience, but go so far as to assert that I am lying. Fuck you. I already said that if anyone has success on the drug without debilitating side effects, more power to them; I’m just sharing my perspective. Anyone else who persists is welcome to voluntarily rot and die in Darkness.

Any updates? Any improvements? @OP

OP was just a low T anxious bitch