France, unisex children's boutique breaks gender codes

Fr12

Fr12

Half-larper, half-serious
The Joy − Concept store for Kids, which has just opened, is the first Alsatian store where all items are aimed as much at girls as at boys.

FUDVMNYEUMU2EEHQROJ66WOWYU.jpg

"It was my 5-year-old daughter who spotted this book, so I came to buy it for her," laughs Eloise, a 35-year-old mother from Strasbourg. Entitled "The Best Cowboy in the West", the book tells the story of a cowboy who, in reality, is a girl and will win a competition in front of his male competitors. "Books that deconstruct received ideas about the genre, we're full of the shop, just like clothes or unisex toys," says Joy Fleutot.

This young woman of 26 years is the creator of Joy - Concept Store for kids, located in the center of Strasbourg (Bas-Rhin) since December 15. It was during her marketing studies that Joy woke up to the question of gender: "When you read on a T-shirt intended for little girls a message like Girls need sun and fun (Editor's note: girls need sun and joy), I find it absurd ”, she is indignant.
Clothes sorted by age and not by gender

Eager to be her own boss, Joy Fleutot studied the codes of “gender marketing” of manufacturers of children's articles for two years, in order to be able to counter them. Thus, in his shop, the clothes are arranged by age group and not by sex. "I also put the racks up children to enable them to choose for themselves what they like," says the young woman.

If the trader has her share of “haters” (“detractors”) on social networks, she can count on the support of a committed clientele: “We had to wait until 2019 to find a unisex store for our children in Strasbourg. But we must encourage these initiatives to get our younger generations used to seeing a boy playing skipping rope or a girl in a knight's costume, ”says Marie-Claude, a client already won over.

• +1
Reactions: Blackout.xl
Don’t care as long they sell Jordan’s

• JFL
Reactions: KlutchPurpp

• JFL
Reactions: KlutchPurpp